Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Army Veterinary Corp

Russellwoodward

My uncle recieved medals stating AVC with his army number SE 20464

What does the SE stand for and how can i determine where he was during WW1

can anyone help?

My grandfather also served in the AVC and had the prefix SE before his number. I was told that SE stood for ' Special Enlistment ' i.e joined the unit after 31 December, 1915 ( conscripted )

Best,

Paul Byrne

I was told that SE stood for ' Special Enlistment ' i.e joined the unit after 31 December, 1915 ( conscripted )

Paul,

I have a three relatives who served with the AVC and information from their MIC's and medal rolls shows that they all disembarked in France on 25 April 1915.

As you can see William Samuel has an "SE" prefix. Have a look at this thread Army Vet. Corps, Service number prefix question

Wright, John Robert Pte 6480

Wright, William Samuel L/Cpl SE/6479

Wright, Albert E Pte 6481

Stu

• 1 year later...
Guest Earl Fred

Hello Russell,

My Grandfather also had a prefix SE/21863 in the AVC. Did you discover any further details of their activities.

Regards from a Sunny Adelaide, South Aust

My grandfather also served in the AVC A/Cpl 15211 before transferring to the 8th northumberland fusiliers, he was killed in action 27/09/1918 at canal du nord. I find it strange, that as a londoner he was in the AVC or wouldn't he have had any choice?

Bagpuss,

What was your grandfather's trade ? An awful lot of Londoners worked with horses at that time.

regards

Mick

My grandfather also served in the AVC A/Cpl 15211 before transferring to the 8th northumberland fusiliers, he was killed in action 27/09/1918 at canal du nord. I find it strange, that as a londoner he was in the AVC or wouldn't he have had any choice?

The ORs selected for the AVC were generally older men who had experience in handling horses, or had some other trade associated ( farriers, saddlers etc). It is entirely possible that your grandfather was an exception to prove the rule, but the AVC generally had little use for those without experience in handling horses. Although there are senior officers in the AVC who were bemoaning how hard it was to find a man with horse handling skills, rather than motor mechanic skills, there were very many horses in all the major cities in the years prior to 1914. Most would have been associated with the commercial trades, which used exactly the sort of horses ( light/heavy draught) that were the main business of the army. Unlike today, the horse was a working rather than a recreational animal, requiring a range of mainly 'lost' skills to ensure that the horsepower that kept the army going was avaliable at maximum efficiency.

The move to the infantry, particularly if it was in 1918 will no doubt have been as a result of the manpower crisis of the early part of that year, when there was extensive regrading/reallocation of grades within the supporting services to provide manpower for the infantry.

Adam

• 7 years later...
Guest corpachlocheil

My Grandfather enlisted in the AVC in 1914.Having served out his 21 years with the ASC and achieved an RSM position.He retired to work at the Woolwich Arsenal.Enlisted in the AVC as a Lieutenant on a temporary commission.Transferred to Belfast,we suspect to aid the 5th Divisions embarkation to Calais for the Somme campaign (we do have his medal record for his invovement in France).At some point early on in his AVC career he was made up to Captain.He retired from the AVC in 1919 at the age of 56!

While we have his complete service history for his 21 years in the ASC we cannot find his service record anywhere for his service in the AVC.I suspect I might have to visit Kew-450 miles from home.If any member can help me find his records I would be very grateful,I do know that, as a generalisation, ASC records are very incomplete.

Captain James Fisher AVC

Here's a picture of an AVC group. No idea where it was taken, but you don't see them very often.

Mick

post-11859-0-51044500-1397916583_thumb.j

• 4 years later...

Afternoon All

I'm looking into my Grandfather who served in WW1 and signed up with the Royal Fusiliers (army no 3545) at some stage he also joined the AVC (no se33632).

I know he was wounded during his service (lost an eye) but not when or how!

Planning on a tour later this year and would like to know more of his time in the forces and where he was while on service. Also why like a few on here the change 

in his regiments. He was a tradesman in civi-street as a bricklayer. Have found his medal card from Kew (WO 372/1/119314) but not sure where to go from here??

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks Paul  

Thanks Paul,

I should have said that you would get better results if you start a new thread in the 'Soldiers' section, putting your grandfather's full name {including what 'H' stands for, and Royal Fusiliers and Army Veterinary Corps.

Regards,

Alf McM