Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

410 sge btry

g-collins

Hello I have found a photo of a tug of war team from 410 sge btry , there is a board describing them as Champion Tug of War Team Bordon June 1917.

My Father was in 227 sge btry RGA and I am interested to see if there was any connection, I can only find 410 18 pdr Bty RFA 96 Bde.

If anyone is interested I will try to attach the photo, any info would be appreciated.

Many Regards, Graham

Graham

410 Siege Battery was formed 30 March 1917 at Hilsea.

Personnel only went to Western front 13 August 1917. Joined 5th army ?/8/17. On arrival one section was posted to 13th and one section to 184th.

Peter

Graham

227 SB formed 12/8/1916 at Pembroke Dock. To Western Front 7 Jan 1917.

I think you will find there was also a thread on 410 about six years ago on this forum if you do a Google search.

Any chance of posting the picture?

Peter

Graham,

Perhaps you could add his name and number. What evidence do you have that he served with 227 SB, do you have a photo of that battery as well? The vast majority of gunners served with more than one battery.

Kevin

This is the photo of 410 siege battery tug of war team as requested

also my fathers service number was 330413RGA (TF)

last of all here is 227 siege battery photo attached my father is the Cpl sat in the from row second in from left (legs Crossed) post-48153-0-27332100-1461590644_thumb.j post-48153-0-72744700-1461590900_thumb.j

Many thanks Graham

I forgot to say my fathers name is R.H.Collins

Thanks Graham

Graham,

His number would indicate being conscripted/mobilised Dec. 1916 to just in to 1917, depending on whether he was a local man who joined the Devon TF RGA direct or was first sent to the Citadel and was initially given a "Regular" number before posting to the Devon TF. He may have had at least three service numbers.

Given the time of his enlistment it is very, very unlikely he was an original member of 227th Siege Battery as the battery left Southampton on the 7th Jan 1917. Also the photo is almost certainly post war and may have been taken when it became part of the Army of the Rhine or later on return.

This leaves a number of possibilities.

He was a member of 410 SB and went out with it before joining either 13 SB or 184 SB. These batteries fired 9.2inch Hows.

Or alternatively he was transferred to 447 SB, in England, which went out 18th Jan 1918 and was broken up between 227 SB and 170 SB.

Or he was just sent out as a re-inforcement gunner probably from April to June after training and joined 227 SB that way.

Or he served with either 13 SB or 184 SB but was later transferred to 227 SB, either through sickness/wounding or just in to 1919 when a lot of men from batteries were starting to demobilised and being posted to other batteries.

Without his records, or any more photos/letters etc., it is impossible to say what battery he served with and when.

Kevin

Thank you Kevin

That is so interesting I do remember Dad telling me he was on a 9.2inch Hows like the one at the cenotaph, He lived in Gloucestershire and was born in1898.

I have not found were he inlisted but was told he was to young when he went,I have been to the Nat Archives to find his service records but they were destroyed ,

But I did copy 227 sge bty diaries.

Thank you very much for the information.

Graham