Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemorations 22.04.16

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following casualties to the WW1 War Dead Roll today.

BARR, Henry Keith

Major

38th King George’s Own Central India Horse

Died 25.10.16 Age 44

Commemorated: Indian Book of Remembrance

LATTER, Walter Frederick

Private L/13323

2 Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment

Died 06.08.20 Age 21

Commemorated: Brookwood 1914-1918 Memorial, Surrey

SMART, Daniel

Corporal 204810

4 Bn, Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Died 20.12.18 Age 27

Commemorated: United Kingdom Book of Remembrance

NOT FORGOTTEN

The above were In From the Cold Projects cases:

- Major Barr committed suicide by shooting (Volunteer: Chris Harley)

- Pte Latter drowned while bathing off Bermuda (Volunteer: Steve Morse)

- Cpl Smart died post-discharge of suppurative appendicitis (Volunteer: Steve John)

I must admit I find it bizarre that those whose cause of death is suicide or drowned whilst bathing are included on the so-called CWGC "Debt of Honour" whilst the whole crew of the merchant ship Kansas City lost to unknown reasons sailing with no doubt essential cargo to the UK from the USA in 1917 did not qualify and their names (about 30) are forgotten yet they were as much war victims as those listed here. I do accept of course that this was the way that things were done at the time but that does not make it right nor fair and in my view nonsensical. Such non-recording will of course completely distort the reported numbers of Merchant Navy seamen lost in WW1 which must be extremely inaccurate.

N

Rest in peace soldier boy's, gone and not forgotten.

Seadog, this is really not the place to discuss why serving personnel are commemorated and merchant seamen who are considered to have died as a result of a hurricane at sea are not.

Remembering all those who died in service, especially Barr, Latter and Smart.

CGM

I must admit I find it bizarre that those whose cause of death is suicide or drowned whilst bathing are included on the so-called CWGC "Debt of Honour" whilst the whole crew of the merchant ship Kansas City lost to unknown reasons sailing with no doubt essential cargo to the UK from the USA in 1917 did not qualify and their names (about 30) are forgotten yet they were as much war victims as those listed here. I do accept of course that this was the way that things were done at the time but that does not make it right nor fair and in my view nonsensical. Such non-recording will of course completely distort the reported numbers of Merchant Navy seamen lost in WW1 which must be extremely inaccurate.

N

There are very many Merchant seamen commemorated by the CWGC, have you submitted the names of the Kansas City crew to them for possible inclusion?

Roy

May They Rest In Peace.

• 4 months later...

SMART, DANIEL

Corporal
Service No:
Date of Death:
20/12/1918
Regiment/Service:
Royal Welsh Fusiliers

4th Bn.
Grave Reference:
P. 270.
Cemetery:
BARRY (MERTHYR DYFAN) BURIAL GROUND

Additional Information:
Son of Frederick and Martha Smart of Barry, Glam.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Corporal Smart is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.

• 2 months later...

BARR, HENRY KEITH

Major
Date of Death:
25/10/1916
Regiment/Service:
38th King George's Own Central India Horse
Grave Reference:
Special Memorial.
Cemetery:
HOLCOMBE ROGUS (ALL SAINTS) CHURCHYARD

Additional Information:
Son of David William Keith and Constance Frances Guillum Barr; husband of Elsie Violet St. Claire Barr of Holcombe Rogus, Devon.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Major Barr is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a special memorial headstone to commemorate him as it is not possible to mark his actual grave.

Commemoration Moved From UK BOR.