Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Yorks Regt 69th Bgde 23rd Div - Pozieres 1916

GregO

My first post, so apologies in advance of my ignorance of etiquette.

I am wondering if anyone has any descriptions of the above regt's actions south of the Bapaume Rd at Pozieres on and around 6/7th Aug 1916. They attacked up Munster Alley and were supported by the 45th Bn AIF. This was the site of one of the fiercest bomb fights of the war a week and a half before.

I am researching my grandfather's service, (then) Cpl B O'Reilly (No 1506) 12th MGC 4th Div AIF, who was awarded a medal for holding his Vickers post during the heavy bombardment and later for "destroying a large number of them" in the counter attack. In 1916 terms on the Somme, that would be quite a few.

My current thinking is he was in a hastily constructed strong point in front of OG2 and Torre Lane with a good view over Munster Alley 200-300yds SE of his position, not good for Germans trying to bypass the blockades in Munster Alley.

Would be great if anyone can help.

Cheers

Greg

My first post, so apologies in advance of my ignorance of etiquette.

I am wondering if anyone has any descriptions of the above regt's actions south of the Bapaume Rd at Pozieres on and around 6/7th Aug 1916. They attacked up Munster Alley and were supported by the 45th Bn AIF. This was the site of one of the fiercest bomb fights of the war a week and a half before.

I am researching my grandfather's service, (then) Cpl B O'Reilly (No 1506) 12th MGC 4th Div AIF, who was awarded a medal for holding his Vickers post during the heavy bombardment and later for "destroying a large number of them" in the counter attack. In 1916 terms on the Somme, that would be quite a few.

My current thinking is he was in a hastily constructed strong point in front of OG2 and Torre Lane with a good view over Munster Alley 200-300yds SE of his position, not good for Germans trying to bypass the blockades in Munster Alley.

Would be great if anyone can help.

Cheers

Greg

Hello Greg, and welcome to the forum.

There are many experts on here that will be able to help you with any questions that you may have.

I do not count myself by any means as one of the most knowledgeable on here, but I do happen to have the battalion diary, recounting the attack that you mention. Do you have access to it yourself? If not, I am more than happy to do my best to decipher the almost illegible scrawl, and type it up here for you. It`ll be no trouble at all, but I thought I`d check with you first.

Once you have a few more posts behind you, you will be able to send members a personal message, so that we can see about getting more of the diary and other information to you. Due to copyright issues that may compromise the forum, we are not at liberty to openly offer certain documents.

Best of luck with your research. I`m sure that you will be pleasantly surprised at the information that you will pick up along the way.

From the 69th MGC`s diary: The two names in bold italics are my best attempt at transcribing what I see.

July 6th. " Company remained in trenches. 8th btn Yorks Reg made a successful bombing attack up MUNSTER ALLEY. About 5.30.pm. order received fron Bde to send two guns up to GLOSTER ALLEY to prepare for attack on SWITCH LINE. Guns went up under 2/Lt. SYMPS Attack posponed. Two guns went into THE HOOK. All night 6th-7th heavy bombardment of OG2 on one gun left of MUNSTER ALLEY. Cpl SHERWOOD and one man were wounded. One wounded and missing and five were killled. Guns and tripod salvaged by 2/Lt. Graves."

Thanks Guys, I don't have access to the battalion diary for the 8th Yorks so that would be good. In particular, I don't have any trench maps east of X11b, in particular where the Switch Line trench was.

I am confused as to why this particular sap was so hard fought over once the ridge had been captured, it certainly isn't explained in any of the reports. On the 27th July 1916 some 15,000 "bombs" had been thrown by British and AIF troops in this one old thoroughfare to OG1 & OG2. Australian 4th Division reports 2 platoons of the 45th Bn AIF being sent to support them after being "badly pressed". Why would someone press the capture of it, particularly when the Germans guns have the trench registered? If you capture it all the way to the German front line you have a different set of problems.

Anyway, I suspect my grandfather's post enfiladed Munster Alley and Torr Trench from the left, so I am looking for any info describing what went on in and around that trench in the days before and days after.

I believe two 12MGC guns were blown up in OG1 either side of Munster Alley during the night, hence the 69th MGC guns covering for those lost. It must have been fierce as the units seem to be cooperating very well during that time.

Extract from 8th Yorks August 1916

6th The Battn received orders to attack & capture about 100yds more of MUNSTER ALLEY at 4pm & to clear TORR TRENCH. The heavies had been bombarding TORR TRENCH & MUNSTER ALLEY up to the switch & howitzers were bombarding the switch itself for 2hrs in the morning & since 3pm in the afternoon. The scheme was for a platoon to attack overland from OG2 a little to the right of pt41 & simultaneously the MUNSTER POST occupants were to start bombing up MUNSTER. At 4pm the attack was made & proved quite successful in fact slightly more was gained than asked for.A double block was made well above the junction of TORR TRENCH but we had to fight hard to keep it. TORR TRENCH was rendered innocuous by a block covered by a Lewis Gun . The Battn was reinforced by 2 1/2 Coys of the 11th WEST YORKS

7th The Battn was relieved by 2 Coys of the 9th YORKS & 1 1/2 Coys WEST YORKS. 1 Coy of the WEST YORKS remaining in & proceeded to SCOTS REDOUBT

Eddie

I don't have any trench maps east of X11b, in particular where the Switch Line trench was.

It might be fruitful to start another thread requesting a trench map, in the "Look up, Photo and documents requests section.

Thanks Eddie, does the diary mention anything about repelling counter attacks by the Germans around 4am (reported time varies) on the morning of the 7th (or either day of that)?

GregO

The extract in my post is exactly as per the diary, On the 8th the Battn was relieved by the Cameron Highlanders and proceeded to billets at Bresle

Eddie

Thanks. Nasty place to be in Jul/Aug 1916.