Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NZ War Diaries - Jul 1917

Cam_s

Good Morning All,

I am needed some info obtained from the NZ War Diaries regarding the lead up to the attack on La Basse Ville in Jul 1917.

Unfortunately I am in Canada and can't make it to the archives in NZ. What would be the easiest way to obtain the information? I have found the finding aids for the war diaries but they aren't easily searchable.

Does anyone know a researcher who is good and knows them inside and out?

Thanks,

Cam

Thanks Guys,

I am specifically looking for the daily records for the 1st NZ Bde and supporting units in front of La Basse Ville in the lead up to the attack at the end of Jul 17.

The AWM site has records but none are for the units/dates involved for what I am looking for.

I have seen the archway website but I can't find the actual records online. The only thing I found was the finding aid listing all of the records.

Cam

None of those actually contain the information I am after. They are all pre-17 for the European Theatre and don't have all of the units.

• 1 year later...

Hi Cam

What Regiment do you want, I have the 3rd Canterbury Infantry Regiment diaries, the 3rd Canterbury were floating around Ploegsteert, Warneton, La Basse Ville and Pont Rouge May to August 1917. Happy to email them to you.

Cher Cam, voici une réponse en français, sorry.  Ce matin 31 JUILLET 2017 à 10h30 belgium times une cérémonie aura lieu a la BASSE-VILLE ( Warneton) Madame Dominique Cooreman inaugure une plaque du souvenir concernant la bataille de la Basse-Ville plus de 1000 soldats (beaucoup de Maoris sont morts et presque oubliés pour l'histoire!!!!.  Madame Cooreman édite un livre sur cette " Bataille de la Basse-Ville " en anglais.  Voir la référence sur la page Facebook :  basseville1917.   Salutations, Walbeer.

Page Facebook     : la basse-ville 1917.      (rectificatif)

Thanks for the link. I was actually in Warneton on 20 Jul this past year and had quite a good time driving around the area and looking at the sights. 

Wendy - Thanks for the offer but I stopped at the National Archives in London and grabbed the July War Diaries for the entire New Zealand division. I found lots of good information but thanks again for the nice offer. 

Cam

4 hours ago, Cam_s said:

Thanks for the link. I was actually in Warneton on 20 Jul this past year and had quite a good time driving around the area and looking at the sights. 

Wendy - Thanks for the offer but I stopped at the National Archives in London and grabbed the July War Diaries for the entire New Zealand division. I found lots of good information but thanks again for the nice offer. 

Cam

Ok great stuff, glad you got it sorted

• 5 months later...
On 4/20/2016 at 01:29, Cam_s said:

Thanks Guys,

I am specifically looking for the daily records for the 1st NZ Bde and supporting units in front of La Basse Ville in the lead up to the attack at the end of Jul 17.

The AWM site has records but none are for the units/dates involved for what I am looking for.

I have seen the archway website but I can't find the actual records online. The only thing I found was the finding aid listing all of the records.

Cam

G'day all,

I am new to this forum. I had quite a few great uncles and other relos from New Zealand involved in the conflicts. One of which I only became aware of yesterday, Herbert Sullivan Carter of the 2nd Btn Wellington Rgmt NZEF and I have very few details apart from his death on July 31, 1917. Which from what I have read they would have been at La Basse Ville fighting at that time. Does anyone have any other details that I might be able to research. Thanks in advance. I'm loving reading the posts on the forum.

9 minutes ago, Brian Groughan said:

G'day all,

I am new to this forum. I had quite a few great uncles and other relos from New Zealand involved in the conflicts. One of which I only became aware of yesterday, Herbert Sullivan Carter of the 2nd Btn Wellington Rgmt NZEF and I have very few details apart from his death on July 31, 1917. Which from what I have read they would have been at La Basse Ville fighting at that time. Does anyone have any other details that I might be able to research. Thanks in advance. I'm loving reading the posts on the forum.

Hi Brian

Did you get a copy of the Wellington Regiment 1914-1919 from the library or available at NZETC their bandwidth is shocking and you can't always get in. The back of the Canterbury Regiment book has a roster of all the regiments in the trenches in front in support and in reserve. Will have a look tonight I have loads of trench maps of area if you haven't found them in the McMasters University map room yet.  Wendy

Do you have a photo of Herbert??

Onward Project

New Zealand War Graves project you can contribute stories and photos to this project.

Another really great book to read is the New Zealand Medical Service in the Great War 1914 -1918

It gives you more in depth information about the action, conditions. casilities. I find it really insightful.

Wellington Regiment

Brian - Sorry some of these images are not clear, you may still be able to make them out.

I also have some cracking aerial photos of the offencive. I think they are to big to post here but will try.

PM me if you want a email copy of any of this sent to you. 

Edited by Wendy Macpherson

Thank you again Wendy, It is hard to believe with the actions that went on within this area through the war was somewhat left in the past as it sounds as though there were quite significant battles happening and like a lot of other areas a very heavy casualty rate. With the links you have added I will be able to hopefully check how other members of the Carter family fared as I had 4 great uncles, William, Alfred, Bob & Harry from the one family who all went to war as well with a bit more detail. 

Brian

The Ploegsteert, Warneton and La Bass Ville area was held by the Kiwis and Aussies and then they were called to the Somme and the entire sector was handed back to the other side. Very sad as men like Herbert and my great uncle Leonard who died 14 days after Herbert in the August died in vein. These are photos of the Sugar Beet factory at La Bass Ville.

171232.jpg

La Basse Ville 2.jpg

La Basse Ville.jpg

Thank you for posting these files and photos up, Wendy.  I have to say that I always regard La Basse-Ville as yet another of Godley's self-aggrandizing schemes, seeking self-glory with the blood of others.  The comment in Stewart (p235) about  Plumer stepping in to postpone the second attempt on it (planned for 28 July) to 31 July is revealing.  On another note, the postcards are fascinating!