Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Charles Walter GREEN, 34571

webbyg

I have just discovered that the father of my step grandmother, Charles, Walter GREEN, died on 30 Apr 1918 and is buried in the Grenezza British Cemetery in Asiago, Itlay.

I know nothing about the history of WWI action in this area. GREEN was apparently fighting with the 14th Bn, Royal Warwickshire Regiment (his service no. was 34571) having original enlisted in Jul 1917 with the Northants Regiment (information from Ancestry, FindMyPast and CWGC). Unfortunately there appears to be no service record or medal card for him.

Can anyone, please, shed some light on the action he would have been involved in and, this is really stretching it, any further information about GREEN himself?

SDGW have him as 14th Bn, ,but the medal roll and CWGC have him as 1/6th Bn, which had moved to Italy with the 48th (South Midland) Division in November 1918. He is buried with two other 1/6th casualties, Field and Polden.

Green appears to have been born in Saffron Walden in 1877. By 1891, he was living in Catharine St, Cambridge with parents Charles and Ann. Married Elizabeth Butterfield, of Liverpool, in 1903. On the 1911 census, he is a racquet court manager, living at 24 Pretoria Court, Chesterton, Cambridge with Elizabeth, and four children.

Cambridge Daily News of 13th May 1918;

post-48020-0-53387600-1461075079_thumb.j

Thank you; I had seen the newspaper cutting. Which medal roll are you looking at, please?

You say had moved to Italy in November 1918 but GREEN died in April 1918.

Thank you. I should have found these but made a schoolboy error of putting 'Charles Walter' when he is 'Charles W' on these databases.

... and just to confuse things, his Soldiers' Effects entry unit was originally written as 14th, but appears to be subsequently crossed through in favour of 1/6th.

Regards

Chris