Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What does 'Run' signify as cause for discharge?

emjayen

13 minutes ago, Ferina said:

Reading further in this report,about the 'Run' remarks it says:-

Recovered from desertion, sent to Chatham and sentenced.
Recovered from desertion and sentenced to 70 days hard labour.  Doesn't tie up with the VG conduct though!!

He did serve in WW2, died France 1916.

Hello Ferina,

Leaving aside the obvious typo - if he died in France in 1916 (whilst serving in the army?) then that’s probably good enough to keep the Mods off our back.

So moving on to try and answer your query with a couple of provisos (1) I can only really speak about King’s Regulations (Royal Navy) as they applied during the Great War Period, so if Naval Regs were substantially different to that in preceding years, then that’s something that’s beyond my knowledge (2) without seeing his service doc for myself, it wouldn’t be possible to offer you any specific advice concerning your particular relative.

Therefore in general, what I can say is that..

A higher character than ‘Good’ would not normally be given to any rating who had a period in cells during the period in which he is being assessed. (although CO could make a special exception if he’s entirely satisfied that the offence was wholly out of character, and the sentence served was less than five days).

For repeat offenders who served more than 22 days in aggregate during the period of assessment, then a character not higher than ‘Fair’ should be given.

For really bad boys who get detained for more than 61 days in aggregate, then the character assessment should drop to ‘Indifferent’.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

• 11 months later...

There were several Samuel Larmours fighting in WW1

The Samuel Larmour referred to in the naval record is my grandfather. Before the first World War he was a stoker in the Royal Navy. As a result of the heavy lifting, he suffered internal bleeding and was unable to return to service and was eventually medically discharged. The "run" referred to was during this period when there was some confusion as to his whereabouts. He was in sick bay but word had not reached his officers so technically he was "AWOL". He was eventually medically discharged with a good behaviour reference. 

(His younger brother James was indeed killed, at the age of 18, in the HMS Irene disaster On 27 May 1915.)

Comments above suggest Samuel was killed in action in WW1. This is incorrect. He served, fought and survived:

Samuel, my grandfather, enlisted with the Royal Ulster Rifles, 36th Ulster Division, 8th September 1914. He went to France on 30th October 1915 and served with the 15th and 8th battalions and was attached to the Royal Engineers. His duties included laying telephone cables between the trenches. He went "over the top" on 1st July 1916 at the Battle of the Somme and was heavily involved in the fighting taking the Schwaben Redoubt. He was promoted in the field to Lance Corporal. At one point he was reduced to fighting with a spade.(He was 5'1" tall!) At roll call after this action one of their commanding officer openly wept because so few answered to their names. He was discharged 14th December 1918.  (He suffered with breathing problems for he rest of his life.) He died in 1959.

Hope this helps. 

Samuel

One of KLR casualties James Woods served in the RN and similarly had character VG and discharged (Run)

I think he was still in hiding as he married in 1907 in Liverpool, and on the 1911 census was "single" living with the in-laws

Dave

From Anc

WoodsJ_RNServRec.png

18 hours ago, davidbohl said:

One of KLR casualties James Woods served in the RN and similarly had character VG and discharged (Run)

I think he was still in hiding as he married in 1907 in Liverpool, and on the 1911 census was "single" living with the in-laws

Dave

From Anc

WoodsJ_RNServRec.png

18 hours ago, davidbohl said:

Dave

From Anc

WoodsJ_RNServRec.png

He deserted.