Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin Raid on Edinburgh April 1916

Scotsmac

I came across this interesting article on the above on the Scotland's People Web site which may be of interest to users of the Forum. I hadn't known of this raid and am now wondering if there were any others in Scotland.

Best Wishes

Keith

Hi Keith

That is the only time Scotland suffered a known air raid in the Great War. Just out of interest I am in the process of compiling a list of names of all fatalities of Zeppelin and Gotha raids so your posting of the article was helpful . My original post :-

Zeppelin and Gotha Air Raids Casualty List -

On 18/04/2016 at 07:03, Knotty said:

Hi Keith

That is the only time Scotland suffered a known air raid in the Great War. Just out of interest I am in the process of compiling a list of names of all fatalities of Zeppelin and Gotha raids so your posting of the article was helpful . My original post :-

Zeppelin and Gotha Air Raids Casualty List -

John

John

I'm glad that the article was of interest to you. I have an interest in London casualties since it may be that one of my Great -Aunts might have died in a Zeppelin/Gotha raid. You may have seen the topic I started -

Best Wishes

Keith

Hi Keith

Yes I must confess I did see your thread, it was about the same time we were having a talk of the Midlands bombing which set me off on my quest.

Your ancestors name is in italics as a, pending, awaiting information.I have several emails out there to several potential London sources questioning where I can obtain information on victims, so if I come across anything on Jessie I will send it onto your good self. It seems strange that London seems devoid of victims names yet the rest of the country is well covered. I assume that the propaganda machine would have a lot to do with it. Still I am getting there,new ones are turning up everyday.

Best Wishes

John

I think the reason that a complete London list is not available is that there were a lot of casualties in the capital spread across a number of boroughs. Taking the raid on Leith/Edinburgh for example - there was one raid on the city, which killed 13. It is a lot easier for an authority to record those 13 that died on one night than for multiple authorities to publically record the deaths of 668 people in London over three years, spread over 26 raids - and with five of those raids taking place within an eight day period.

John, I'd be interested to hear how many of the London victims you have found so far.

Kind regards

Ian

www.IanCastleZeppelin.co.uk

Hi Ian

I have got to be honest it is the London area which giving me grief, not sat at my PC spreadsheet at the moment on the iPad, but I suspect that if I have more than 4 dozen I would be lying, hence my email storm to various bodies to generate more leads.

As you say there are many boroughs to get to, plus the added problem of the definition of Home Counties victims, take for instance Croydon, now part of London but formerly in Surrey, would these casualties be classed as London or separately as Croydon. For my part I am using the parliamentary districts as of 1914, and classing them as Croydon Surrey.

Just to keep you up to date I have approx 600+ civilian and just over 200 military names, nearly there with these,and I have included a Belgium soldier in Folkestone, as mentioned to Keith I also have about 22 pending names so, all in all there is just a mere 600 +\- to find overall.

John

This memorial can be found on Edinburgh Castle rock, with a bit of climbing.

KF Kellyattachicon.gifEdin Castle.jpg

I asked a friend of mine who was visiting Edinburgh last year to take a pic of this plaque for me - but when he got there it was fenced off because they were taking down the seating for the Tattoo! Nice to see it. I had read of it but not seen it before.

Hi Ian

I have got to be honest it is the London area which giving me grief, not sat at my PC spreadsheet at the moment on the iPad, but I suspect that if I have more than 4 dozen I would be lying, hence my email storm to various bodies to generate more leads.

As you say there are many boroughs to get to, plus the added problem of the definition of Home Counties victims, take for instance Croydon, now part of London but formerly in Surrey, would these casualties be classed as London or separately as Croydon. For my part I am using the parliamentary districts as of 1914, and classing them as Croydon Surrey.

Just to keep you up to date I have approx 600+ civilian and just over 200 military names, nearly there with these,and I have included a Belgium soldier in Folkestone, as mentioned to Keith I also have about 22 pending names so, all in all there is just a mere 600 +\- to find overall.

John

Have you found the names of those killed in the bombing of Sunderland in Apr 16?, John. It was one I looked at and couldn't find much. I did intend nipping in to the T&W archives (it's only a couple of miles away) but never seem to get around to it. Apparently 22 dead and 100+ injured. This page (and the comments) add some names - http://blog.twmuseums.org.uk/monkwearmouth-station-bombed/

Hopefully the files I sent you are helping you rather than hindering !

Craig

I asked a friend of mine who was visiting Edinburgh last year to take a pic of this plaque for me - but when he got there it was fenced off because they were taking down the seating for the Tattoo! Nice to see it. I had read of it but not seen it before.

Aspern,

If you contact me directly I can send you my original pictures. The best time to see the plaque is in aurumn or winter as it can be obscured by vegetation at other times of the year.

Kevin

Hi Craig

Have you found the names of those killed in the bombing of Sunderland in Apr 16?, John. It was one I looked at and couldn't find much. I did intend nipping in to the T&W archives (it's only a couple of miles away) but never seem to get around to it. Apparently 22 dead and 100+ injured. This page (and the comments) add some names - http://blog.twmuseums.org.uk/monkwearmouth-station-bombed/

Hopefully the files I sent you are helping you rather than hindering !

Craig

Another useful link with some contact information. I had the numbers of fatalities but no names as yet, so I can make a start.

The other files you sent were very useful, helped to cross reference and correct some name anomalies.

Thanks again

John

Hi Craig

Another useful link with some contact information. I had the numbers of fatalities but no names as yet, so I can make a start.

The other files you sent were very useful, helped to cross reference and correct some name anomalies.

Thanks again

John

As long as it helps and didn't just add confusion !. If I find anything else I'll let you know.

Craig

Hi Craig

Thanks again

John

I've just been looking at the local papers - not surprisingly the deaths notices show a large peak over the few days after the Sunderland bombing (with a (relative) increase in those listed as dying at the local hospital). I may have a closer look as it's something I've been interested in for a while. If I find anything I'll pass it your way.

Craig

• 3 weeks later...

Scotland's People has put some interesting family stories and photographs on the Edinburgh Raid on it's web site sent in from people all over the world.

Best Wishes

Keith

Thanks for the link Keith, it made for interesting reading.

Seeing something so big and "flying" over dropping bombs must have been terrifying for anyone who was there at the time. It's shows how we have become sanatised in seeing such things having watched actual newsreels of the ww2 bombings, the ubiquitous war films and the TV news showing up to date use of high tech precision bombings.

John

• 6 years later...
On 19/04/2016 at 13:42, KF Kelly said:

This memorial can be found on Edinburgh Castle rock, with a bit of climbing.

KF Kellypost-3843-0-81966000-1461069734_thumb.jp

Does anyone know this plaque is actually located ? 

The only references I can find is Castle Rock and fragments of rock hitting Castle Terrace.

Ian, There is a path from Johnston Terrace to the gate of Princes Street Gardens at King's Stables Road which can be seen on Google Earth.  The path descends quite steeply and the Castle Rock is on your right. About half way down that path, the plaque can be seen on the rock, again about half way up to the wall of the castle. The photos should give you some idea. Although the photo showing the location of the plaque was taken about 16 years ago I imagine the distinctive tree its still there. The plaque can best be seen in winter before the vegetation grows again. It used to be possible to climb up but I am no longer sure that is the case. The last time I was in Edinburgh (November 2022) the path was closed due the danger of falling rocks.

Edinburgh Castle.jpg

DSCN0788.jpeg

@KF Kellymany thanks.

Having read different accounts of the Zeppelin Raid outlining a near miss on Edinburgh Castle, it is nice to be able to place where the bomb actually landed.

I was in Edinburgh in December 2022 in Princess Gardens and saw that path across the railway leading to the path below the Castle you detailed on your photograph had a locked gate at the bridge.

I have just visited Edinburgh Grassmarket and found the marker stone for the bomb that was dropped there. 

975443194_EdinburghZeppelinRaidGrassmarketmarkerstone.JPG.0a229919d5c7dd4ef14d946e232e702e.JPG

205202446_EdinburghZeppelinRaidmarkerstone.JPG.5677c21b0fa6c357be5a117c2c499859.JPG

I did not venture to the path below the castle, however, I did endeavour to pin point the location on a drawing on the wall of the White Hart.

2000140361_EdinburghZeppelinRaidWhiteHart.JPG.d76c5ced43d9ddafab684165b3e4c440.JPG

1714361155_EdinburghZeppelinRaidWhiteHartCastlepicture.JPG.5247ff63d632c12e4298a8f88fa1c3b5.JPG

Ian

in the White Hart. 

An account from the German official history:

"At 12 o'clock at night, L14 sighted the northern edge of the Firth of Forth; but before the airship could advance further into the bay, it was caught in a heavy snowstorm with the temperature rising rapidly from -8 degrees to -3 degrees and fell from 2700 to 1800 m as a result of the snow load and air warming. Just at this moment, however, the driving snow subsided. At 12.30 a.m., two apparently larger enemy warships came into sight and tried in vain to catch the airship with searchlights. Five bombs were dropped on them, the searchlights went out, L14 climbed to an altitude of 2500 m and, before the exact effect of the bombs could be determined, the ships had disappeared again from the airship's visual range. According to the log, L14 was over Edinburgh at 1.15 in the morning. In the meantime, however, the snowstorm had increased so much in the westerly winds that the airship was almost at a standstill and could no longer move forward against the wind. It therefore finally had to turn back without having sighted any further objects of attack." (Translated by DeepL)

(More details (in German) in the thread linked below.)

Ian, I was pleased to be of help. I often used to climb up to the plaque when I was younger but the last time I did I it (when I took the photos) I found it harder. Not 14 anymore.  Interesting also to read of the L20 crash.

kevin

Believe these are the locations of the two markers where bombs landed.

2127189327_EdinburghZeppelinRaid.jpg.82d81433163ac92486dee6e83afe4ac0.jpg

I remember when I was very young there was an old sandstone building in the Grassmarket near where the bomb fell. I think there is a hotel or something there now. Whenever we passed the old building my father would point to the bomb damage on the facade, rather like the splinter damage which can still be seen on some London buildings.  I always look around the buildings in the Grassmarket if I’m there but I’ve never seen anything which might be evidence of the explosion.

This is an image from my book on the 9th Royal Scots with the approximate route of L.14. If I recall correctly, I could not be certain if the western loop was north then south as shown or vice versa, but this seems to be the logical way round (to me at least!).

2-10.png.78674b8ed927f3329fc3fbce85e9a616.png