Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Short & Mason compass marked for [A]GF Bell, R.Innis.Fus.

trajan

This belongs to a friend of mine over here, an archaeological surveyor by trade, and he thought it might be of interest to me and the GWF. We have worked out the basic details, we think, i.e., WW1 period, officer's private purchase(?), but we are not certain who it went to - an AGF Bell, or a GFBell. Knowing that there is bound to be an Inniskilling Fusilier expert here, never mind a variety of compass fanatics, then any and all information would be appreciated. I should say in advance, though, this is one of those 'prise it from dead hands' type of pieces - otherwise I would have been the first to offer it a good home!

Trajan

post-69449-0-03469800-1460898693_thumb.j

post-69449-0-80242300-1460898700_thumb.j

post-69449-0-83307100-1460898710_thumb.j

post-69449-0-59051700-1460898723_thumb.j

Private purchase by the look of it - no Broad Arrow. Otherwise apparently a standard Verner's Pattern Mk.VII in decent condition, but missing the rubber cushion ring on the underside - probably still accurate within half-a-degree or so.

The dovetail allows you to slide the prism up and down to focus it on the card to suit your eyesight, then lock it in that position with the screw.

A bit trickier to use dry prismatic compasses like this than the later liquid-filled types, but much lighter and more compact.

Possibly 2nd Lt Alan George Frankland Bell, brother of Eric Norman Frankland Bell VC - http://www.merseysiderollofhonour.co.uk/get2.php?cwgc=767882

Interesting thought and sounds fine to me - thanks. Odd, though, the gap between the 'A' and the 'G.F'?

Replacement cushion rings are available via ebay. A private purchase compass sold by a Dublin retailer and marked to a Major French Lloyd of the 8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers has just sold on the same auction site.

Mike.

Private purchase by the look of it - no Broad Arrow. Otherwise apparently a standard Verner's Pattern Mk.VII in decent condition, but missing the rubber cushion ring on the underside - probably still accurate within half-a-degree or so. ...

Indeed - my mate is a mapping and surveying fanatic (and ex-artillery forward observer), and he regularly takes one or other of his compass collection out for a 'walk'!

Replacement cushion rings are available via ebay. A private purchase compass sold by a Dublin retailer and marked to a Major French Lloyd of the 8th Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers has just sold on the same auction site.

Thanks for that information - I'll pass it on.

Trajan

Indeed - my mate is a mapping and surveying fanatic (and ex-artillery forward observer), and he regularly takes one or other of his compass collection out for a 'walk'!

So do I. My Cruchon & Emons Mk.VII from 1916 exactly matches my modern Silva Type 4 - but the modern American Stocker & Yale lensatic I have is 7 degrees out!

I still use a relative's 1944 bakelite issue (were these for paratroopers only?) when doing my basic 101 class on 'This is a compass...'