Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Diorama- but where?

IRC Kevin

We visited a museum in 2004 where there was a large-scale diorama, of what I think was the area stretching from British lines to the Schwaben Redoubt (inclusive)- though my memory may be playing tricks here. Thinking of making another visit, but can't for the life of me remember where it was, though it was probably in the Somme Region. Any help to blow away the cobwebs of befuddlement gratefully received.

Sounds like the Thiepval Visitor Centre to me.

Thanks, We were at Thiepval just two years ago, but I don't remember it being there then.

Actually, I think I may be wrong, for which, many apologies. I read your post in haste and thought you were referring to the panoramas that are on display at Thiepval on the way from the bookshop to the loos. My brain has finally got into gear and recognised diorama is a very different thing to panorama!

I'm sorry I can't help with the original question but hope that someone will be able to.

Cheers

JB

Actually, I think I may be wrong, for which, many apologies. I read your post in haste and thought you were referring to the panoramas that are on display at Thiepval on the way from the bookshop to the loos. My brain has finally got into gear and recognised diorama is a very different thing to panorama!

I'm sorry I can't help with the original question but hope that someone will be able to.

Cheers

JB

No problem, JB. My wife and I both remember this as being rather large (possibly about 4-5 metres square) and set on a display platform in the middle of a room, so you could walk around it and view from every angle.

No problem, JB. My wife and I both remember this as being rather large (possibly about 4-5 metres square) and set on a display platform in the middle of a room, so you could walk around it and view from every angle.

It wasn't somewhere as mundane as the National Army Museum? I can remember a diorama about that size there, but alas not where it was a diorama of.

I don't know if it is still on display since the redevelopment, but there used to be a large one of the Somme at the IWM.

There is also an impressive one of Ypres at the In Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres.

Stuart

I don't know if it is still on display since the redevelopment, but there used to be a large one of the Somme at the IWM.

There is also an impressive one of Ypres at the In Flanders Fields Museum in Ypres.

Stuart

I wonder if that was the one I was picturing. I do remember one at NAM, but now you mention it I can remember seeing one at IWM. I have a mental picture of one, but now I am not sure which.

Roger M

It wasn't somewhere as mundane as the National Army Museum? I can remember a diorama about that size there, but alas not where it was a diorama of.

I'm pretty sure that the diorama at the National Army Museum is of the Battle of Waterloo (which, in itself, has a story attached), so that isn't it.

There is a smaller diorama at the Victoria School Museum, Vliiers Bretonneux, but it doesn't represent the area you mentioned. It is a generic scene.

There is a smaller diorama at the Victoria School Museum, Vliiers Bretonneux, but it doesn't represent the area you mentioned. It is a generic scene.

I've not been there, Ken so it can't be that one. Could it be Peronne?

There were a number of fine dioramas in a museum in Whitehall - I think it was then part of RUSI, but I am not certain.

The one you mention may have been on e of them.

The museum was closed some years ago and I have no idea if they survived. might be worth checking with them.

I may be wrong but is there not one in the underground museum in Albert?

Mick

I may be wrong but is there not one in the underground museum in Albert?

Mick

Not been there either, but it's one our list for next time.

Plenty in the Australian War Memorial!