Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edwin Owen Leak M.M. Sgt A.S.C.

midshipmanrayley

Sgt Edwin Owen Leak M.M. served as M2/032040 in Army Service Corps.

Born 1894 in Gorleston and killed in action 29th October 1917.

Can any member please help with a citation for his Military Medal?

Thanks Graeme. We live in hope.

Soldiers Effects have Edwin serving in 604 M T Company. Long Long Trail 604 M T Coy - XV Corps Siege Park A S C, 65th Siege Battery R G A. War Diary may have something.

Bob

Hi midshipmanrayley,

My Grandfather was with 604 Coy (MT) ASC (aka XV Corps Siege Park) in 1917, but unfortunately was transferred to 717 on September 5th.

When I saw the War Diaries at Kew about 18 months ago, I only copied up to this date unfortunately.

The diaries themselves don't name many individuals other than officers, but the diaries of the Senior Mechanical Transport Officer (SMTO) are one of the best I have seen with respect to transfers of Siege Batteries (and men named with Service numbers), in and out of the Corps.

Having had a quick scan, I can't immediately see any reference of Sgt.Leak in the period to 5/9/1917.

XV Corps Siege Park would be responsible for moving the guns and transport of the guns of all the RGA Brigades attached to the Corps, so lots of siege batteries, not just one.

A bit of a long shot, but the diaries might contain information later on in September.

I see he is buried near Koksijde, on the coast between Dunkirk and Nieuwpoort.

XV Corps were up there as part of Operation Hush.

604 Coy (MT) ASC diaries (WO95/931) have been scanned as part of the process of digitisation, but have not yet been made available on the National Archives/Discovery site.

Many thanks Dai and Bob.

Lots of valuable information Dai.

The Great War Medal Collectors Companion.

M M London Gazette 21st December 1916.

This Gazette carries Schedule numbers from 49,000 to 51,000 which picks up from the 9th December Gazette.

Awards in this Gazette are, largely, for operations on the Somme in September and October 1916, including the capture of Thiepval, Regina Trench, Bayonet Trench and Delville Wood amongst others. Dates noted from 1st September1916, to 21st October 1916.

Bob

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Hush

The operation was cancelled 14/10/1917.

The Fourth Army vacated the area between 21/10/1917 & 3/11/1917.

The area was vulnerable to German artillery attack, and was also under the flight paths of Gotha bombers on their way to bomb Dunkirk.

I am sure they might have dropped a few bombs on ASC Siege Parks and lorry parks had the opportunity arisen.

So even though the MT parks may have been some way behind the lines, they were always at risk.

And more at risk of course when delivering the goods up to the front line batteries.

For example an aerial attack on a lorry park at Locre in September 1917, killing several men is well documented in 717 Coy MT ASC diaries.

Also well documented is the following:

27/6/1917 SMTO's office blown up by a 12" shell fired from near Leugenboom 27 miles away!

I think the diaries will hold some relevant information.

Again many thanks Bob and Dai.

Trying the local newspaper route for the citation as you advised Bob.

I think the diaries are the only answer Dai will check them out for cause of death, etc.

Sorry Bob. Senior moment.

• 7 years later...

Sorry this is a very late post and you may have picked up some of this already. Edwin Owen Leak was my great-uncle Eddie. I believe he was working in the family business in Gorleston before the war. I haven't been able to find anything re the award of the MM but assumed it was linked to operations in the Somme area.  There is a reference to the events surrounding his death in a typed manuscript part of XV Corps War Diary, National Archive WO 95/931, Historical Record of ‘P’ Corps Siege Park, 604 Company Army Service Corps. 

“Several casualties were caused whilst on the coast, chiefly by enemy aircraft. Day and night bombs were dropped. The forward tractor park suffered severely. On Sept 26th 2nd Lt W H Binfield ASC was killed at the tractor park by a hostile shell. It was not always that the enemy made a designed raid on the Siege Park and surrounding districts, but sometimes that occurred. The area was in such a position as to be passed over by enemy squadrons in the course, with the set purpose of bombing the French ports, England or shipping in the Channel. Often a stray machine would drop a bomb when making the journey to the Coast, or on the return. On October 28th the Tractor Park as bombed and three men were killed and four wounded severely."

And an entry for 29 Oct 1917  

"As a result of hostile bombing the following casualties occurred at Tractor Park:    Killed     M2/032040      Sgt Leak  E.O.  (135 SBAC)         ............"

Sadly this was little more than a month after his wedding to Ella Cann. She later remarried, and I assume his medals passed out of the family at a later point. Have attached a couple of photos. Would appreciate a picture of the medals if in your possession.

Thanks

Tony Leak

Edwin Owen Leak (22 Sep 1917).jpg

Edwin Owen Leak.jpg

Welcome Mayridge, a poignant story, but I'm glad the War Diaries helped find the manner of his death. With regards to the medals, the British Medal Forum is often quoted here as the place to find lost medals