Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gareth Davies

There is a good number of books on tanks in the offing from a number of publishers and I thought it might be useful to list those I know about in one place.

Already Published

The First Tank Crews by Stephen Pope (Helion)

Due in 2016

The Tanks at Flers - An Account of the First Use of Tanks in War at the Battle of Flers-Courcellette, the Somme,15th September 1916 by Trevor Pidgeon (Helion)

The Reconographers - Intelligence and Reconnaissance in British Tank Operations on the Western Front 1916-18 by Colin Hardy (Helion)

Tanks in the Great War - Contemporary Combat Images by Bob Carruthers (Pen & Sword)

British Armoured Car Operations in World War One by Bryan Perrett (Pen & Sword)

French Tanks in the Great War by Tim Gale (Pen & Sword)

Deborah and the War of the Tanks, 1917 by John Taylor (Pen & Sword)

Due in 2017

Tanks in the Great War Volume 1 - 1916 by Stephen Pope (Helion)

Tanks in the Great War Volume 2 - 1917 by Gareth Davies (Helion)

Due in 2018

Tanks in the Great War Volume 3 - Cambrai by Tim Gale (Helion)

Tanks in the Great War Vol 4 by Geoffrey Vesey Holt (Helion)

Tanks in the Great War Vol 5 - The Hundred Days by Geoffrey Vesey Holt (Helion)

There will be others I have missed so please add to this topic and I will update this list.

Edited by Gareth Davies

Thanks for flagging some very interesting books in the offing Gareth. Perhaps I could mention my own book 'Deborah and the War of the Tanks, 1917', being published by Pen & Sword Military in September 2016. This tells the story of D51 Deborah, the tank excavated in Flesquieres by Philippe Gorczynski after being knocked out at the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917.

The book tells the story of this tank, and the previous one with the number D51 which took part in the Battle of Passchendaele, and of their commanders and crew. It includes previously unpublished accounts and photographs, and by focusing on the role of a specific tank and crew it presents important new insights into the part played by tanks in these two pivotal battles.

That's my plug over!

I'm already enjoying Stephen Pope's excellent book, and looking forward to seeing the others on your list.

All the best,

John Taylor

Of course, how wrong of me to not include your book on the list. Sorry! I will update the list.

Following The Tanks by Philippe Gorczynski is being republished sometime soon.

That's correct - I'll ask if he has a date yet.

All the best, John

Gareth

Do you think there is any particular reason for this sudden surge in Tank books, beyond the ever present centenary? Or is it just a happy accident.

Looking forward to Pidgeon's book. Helion really are on a publishing hot streak at the moment

David

A day without a tank is a day wasted David.

Gareth

Do you think there is any particular reason for this sudden surge in Tank books, beyond the ever present centenary? Or is it just a happy accident.

Looking forward to Pidgeon's book. Helion really are on a publishing hot streak at the moment

David

Helion has been a brilliant firm with which to work - their whole team has been first class.

The First Tank Crews is designed to raise public awareness of the forgotten tank pioneers of 1916; it is being published now because I could not complete it earlier.........

Helion has been a brilliant firm with which to work - their whole team has been first class.

The First Tank Crews is designed to raise public awareness of the forgotten tank pioneers of 1916; it is being published now because I could not complete it earlier.........

So happy accident it is then!

Hi, there does seem to be a bit of a surge, and I think the centenary is probably driving that.

Regarding our book on Deborah, we began researching this nearly eight years ago following a visit to Flesquieres, and I started writing the book several years ago when I was still working full-time, so it's not exactly been quickfire. Having said that, the centenary of the Battle of Cambrai will be an important milestone for the Royal Tank Regiment, and next year should see the opening of a special museum with Deborah as the centrepiece, so this did give us a push to get things finished, and fortunately we've managed to come in a year early which is even better.

As far as I'm concerned, you can't have too many tank books. Forget a surge, how about a tsunami?

John

Hoping to get to Stephen's lecture on Saturday..

post-100478-0-95415700-1460638225_thumb.

Hope to see you there; 30 people have pre-booked tickets so far

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
On 4/12/2016 at 09:44, johntaylor said:

Thanks for flagging some very interesting books in the offing Gareth. Perhaps I could mention my own book 'Deborah and the War of the Tanks, 1917', being published by Pen & Sword Military in September 2016. This tells the story of D51 Deborah, the tank excavated in Flesquieres by Philippe Gorczynski after being knocked out at the Battle of Cambrai in November 1917.

The book tells the story of this tank, and the previous one with the number D51 which took part in the Battle of Passchendaele, and of their commanders and crew. It includes previously unpublished accounts and photographs, and by focusing on the role of a specific tank and crew it presents important new insights into the part played by tanks in these two pivotal battles.

That's my plug over!

I'm already enjoying Stephen Pope's excellent book, and looking forward to seeing the others on your list.

All the best,

John Taylor

This book is superb!! Almost finished it but don't want to. It's so well-researched, detailed and well-written, and yet it reads like the best of 'thrillers'. I've found it difficult to put down (although I obviously have at the moment whilst I type this). Excellent stuff......go out and buy it. 

13 hours ago, simond9x said:

This book is superb!! Almost finished it but don't want to. It's so well-researched, detailed and well-written, and yet it reads like the best of 'thrillers'. I've found it difficult to put down (although I obviously have at the moment whilst I type this). Excellent stuff......go out and buy it. 

I've just ordered it!

22 hours ago, The Scorer said:

I've just ordered it!

Me too!

Mike.

To simond9X - thanks so much for your comments, they're truly appreciated!  Obviously a lot of work went into this book from our whole team, so it's great to know that the results have repaid the effort.

I hope others enjoy the book as much, and look forward to receiving any more feedback.

All the best, John 

My father in law was in the REME and worked for the company GKN who make the Warrior vehicle. He was part of the team that helped to conserve Deborah with Philippe Gorzynski. I don't think he is aware of your book, so I have ordered it for his Christmas present!

That's excellent - the 118th Recovery Company of REME gets a mention in the book, as this unit moved Deborah into the barn after she was recovered.  I'm delighted to say work is now under way on the new museum which will open in time for the centenary, and at some stage she'll make her way to her new, hopefully final home.

It will be the end of a long journey!

All the best, and thanks for the interest,

John

Edited by johntaylor

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 21:25, simond9x said:

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:23, The Scorer said:

I've just ordered it!

Well, I'm pleased to say that Santa delivered this in time for Christmas, and I've just spent a very enjoyable couple of days reading it.

As simond9x says above, it is excellent, and I fully recommend it to anyone. I didn't know a lot about thanks before, but my knowledge is now much greater than it was as a result of reading this book. My congratulations to John and everyone involved ... all I have to do now is to visit Flesquieres to see Deborah!

Very grateful for the feedback, and I'll pass on your message to the rest of the team.  It goes without saying that I recommend going to see Deborah - a new museum is now under construction and is due to open in time for the centenary, so she will be even more accessible after that.

All the best, John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm looking at some tank books (and one other associated book) which I'm thinking of buying.

Does anyone know anything about these, please?

William Moore - "A Wood Called Bourlon - The Cover-up after Cambrai 1917"

W H L Watson DSO DCM - "With the Tanks 1916 - 1918".

and (not about tanks but by the same author)

W H L Watson DSO DCM - "A Motorcycle Courier in the Great War"

Thank you.