Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Battle Of The Ancre - Advance Of The Tanks' Digitally Rem

simond9x

Maybe just in time for the centenary of the Armistice the way things are going.

• 2 months later...

Ah well... might be able to get a copy for Christmas!

Indeed - some of us have been following this for all five years. They really missed the  ideal time last year.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Hooray! Pre-ordered mine. Really looking forward to it. Interesting they gladly mention several times that it was actually restored five years ago, what the hold up have been? Still, better late than never

I have placed my order too. So long overdue; I'll be able to ditch my VHS copy shortly.

pre-ordered as well, as Keith says so long overdue.

Andy

This 1995 BBC Timewatch programme has been lurking on youtube for a number of years.  The impact of the film is discussed, mentioning it was estimated to have been seen by 20 million people nationwide and shown, for example, in 107 London Cinemas.    

https://youtu.be/Wjxia4beWwQ

And there is Malins' own account of the filming:  https://archive.org/stream/howifilmedwarrec00malirich#page/n15/mode/2up

ancre_film.jpeg

My copy arrived this morning. I'll check it out properly tomorrow.

Received mine this morning too. It will have to wait until tomorrow also.

Andy

Any thoughts from those who've now watched it? I've been pushing the IWM for several years on this release but my copy has been spirited away as a Christmas present. Ah well, I suppose a few more weeks won't hurt.

It is a long time since I played the VHS version so I can't really compare them.  The digitisation had clearly sharpened everything up, and to have brought out (Just as the Somme film did), some details that were lost in the  earlier VHS version.

Much of the film is behind the lines - no less interesting for that, and a small additional section has been incorporated from a print in the Library of Congress that was missing from the IWM copy.  The tanks play only a small part in the film overall, but I think it has to be a worthwhile investment for any of us.

Keith

I had a bit of trouble placing my order from the link above , when I clicked to buy it went to the basket page but the item wasn't showing . It showed for

the Blue ray version , so I e-mailed the IWM shop to make sure it was actually still in stock and they replied that it was but the web site was old and a

new one was planned for next year. I went back in and searched under just the word ' Ancre' instead of the full title and it went to what appeared to

be a different page which worked fine.

I did have the old two tape video version and I am looking forward to watching it again.

Can only agree with Keith, images are sharper.

Andy

That's good news indeed. I have been hoping to take screen shots of the First Tank Crews in the hope of identifying individual crewmen