Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Battle Of The Ancre - Advance Of The Tanks' Digitally Rem

simond9x

DIGITALLY REMASTERED DVD

I was out of the country for much of 2015 so must have missed this.

I was reading about the restoration work done on this film and wondered if it was now commercially available.

There is an entry for it on Amazon but it is described as 'currently unavailable, we don't know when or if this item will be back in stock'. There are 4 customer reviews for it, dated during the last 12 months, so it must have actually been issued at some point. A search around other retail outlets (including eBay) fails to locate it.

Did anyone buy a copy or have any idea where I might find one, or know why it seems to have 'disappeared'?

Many thanks,

Simon

Edited by simond9x

Hi

I got a copy before Christmas from Amazon. No problems.

Cheers

Hi

I got a copy before Christmas from Amazon. No problems.

Cheers

Hi Herekawe,

Thanks - so is there anything on it which indicates who/where I can contact someone to get a copy?

Simon

I didn't know the dig. remastered version had come out either. I assumed it would an IWM production, with a new musical score, commentary etc like the Somme dvd, but it isn't on their website, nor have I come across it on the internet. What's it like?

I have the original VHS tape, but had been hoping to see the remastered version. There is a dodgy, straight transfer from the VNS available on eBay, but if I raised the willpower I could do that myself as I ahve a mature DVD/VHS player recorder still on a shelf.

I have been hunting around on line, and can't see any other evidence of the release beyond that on Amazon. Truly frustrating

Keith

Hi Herekawe,

Thanks - so is there anything on it which indicates who/where I can contact someone to get a copy?

Simon

No IWM brand on it.

No little guide book with it like the first Somme DVD.

Brief description on the back - Coda Publishing Ltd, Film Maker - Bob Curruthers

Thats it really.

James

I too have been searching for this recently. Link as follows to an article about the remastering and the DVD...

http://blogs.iwm.org.uk/research/2012/11/restoring-the-first-world-war-film-the-battle-of-the-ancre-and-advance-of-the-tanks-1917/

I guess it must have been a relatively limited release.

Hi Simon & James,et al

I had a bit of a dig around and have the address for the DVD producers (still trading),no telephone number yet. Hope you can make contact.

Coda Publishing Ltd

Minshull House

67 Wellington Road North

Stockport

Cheshire SK4 2PL

Reg no.06532415

Director R Carruthers

Previous trading name until 24/9/2013. Coda Books Ltd

John

I too am hoping for the remastered version to be released if only to try and work out which tank crewmen are in the picture of Dodo

It would also be good to have a letter picture of Percy

post-1494-0-48254500-1460498591_thumb.jp

I'm wondering whether the brief release was officially sanctioned by the IWM. Making enquiries.

EDIT I have emailed the main contact point at the IWM asking about the release of the film. When I get a reply I'll post it here

Keith

This from the IWM - a very quick reply

Dear Keith,

Thank you for your enquiry about a DVD release of The Battle of the Ancre and the Advance of the Tanks. IWM have never released the title commercially since the VHS edition you reference in your email, but I hope you’ll be pleased to hear that we are currently working towards releasing our restored version on DVD for the first time later in the year.

We do not have a set date for the release as yet, but the DVD will be available through the IWM Shop. In the meantime, the restored The Battle of the Somme, which was re-released in 2014, and is still available.

With kind regards

Corinna

Corinna Reicher

Head of Film

Department of Collections & Curatorial Development

It looks as if the offer on Ancestry was definitely not authorised.

Keith

Well that is really weird.

I knew it was being released sometime, in due course it popped up on Amazon and I purchased it.

I will be mildly frustrated if the "Official" version contains more or better footage or is better quality.

However it was hardly a large capital outlay!

James

• 6 months later...

Well, as the centenary has passed I thought I would contact the IWM again. 

here's the reply:  

The DVD of Battle of the Ancre is scheduled for release in 2017, but we do not have a release date yet. 

As they have managed showings it seems slightly crazy that they didn't manage to get the DVD out in time to make a centenary event of the launch. However, at least it should emerge within another 13 months.

keith

• 6 months later...

Halfway through 2017 and no sign yet... hopefully out soon as really looking forward to seeing this. Hopefully accompanied by cinema showings too, as I missed the Somme when it was shown last year

Should be available from IWM shop in July. Email I received a few weeks ago from the Film Curator......

"Thank you for your email. The remastered version of The Battle of the Ancre and Advance of the Tanks is due to be released on DVD in July this year. It has been an extremely busy time at the museum and, as so much work has gone into the restoration, we wanted to make sure the DVD reflected that. Once released the DVD will be available for purchase through our shops, both online and at IWM branches".

Edited by simond9x

• 1 month later...

Response from IWM to my email this week.....

"The film is definitely finished from our point of view. From what I gather before I went away our usual encoding company was not able to do some of the work we required them to. As a result we were looking into different companies, and this has obviously pushed our deadline back. But at the moment I haven’t got any further information. As soon as I do have a firm date I will get in touch"

Disappointing

They really have missed the boat on this one. I suppose they will get there eventually

Keith

• 3 weeks later...

Further update from the IWM......

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, but my colleague who is running the DVD project for the Battle of the Ancre has been on annual leave and only just returned. At the moment there is still no firm date for release, but we are hoping to release it in time for the anniversary of the end of the campaign which is in November. I sincerely hope it will be released before then, however I cannot give you a firm date at this stage.

This project seems to be very badly managed,

IWM are not covering themselves in glory