Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service records

john w.

In carrying on my research for those executed I have a general question...

I have trial papers for a number of those executed, can I now get the service records for any of the 3000 given death sentences including those actually executed? Will they be at the PRO?

If yes would the medical records be there as well or will that be another agency?

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

On the basis that Willie Nelson's (Pte Durham LI) is available in WO 363, I do not see why others should not be available. The file should in theory contain the lot, but from experience this is not always the case.

Ian

:ph34r:

So Ian I would really need to go to the PRO in order to get some records... Werent some lost though in the Blitz?

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

About 75-80% of records were lost. But what I was trying to say in my previous post was that executed soldiers records were not removed from the catalogue. If they survived the fire of 1940 they are available to view. The records of William Nelson and Joseph Stones can be found in WO 363.

You will need to go to the NA?PRO at Kew to view them.

Ian

:rolleyes:

Ok Ian.. thanks...

err... never been so directions please someone.. train from Essex/Liverpool St.. or even car...

Cheers

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Kew Gardens is on the District Line. Liverpool St - take a Circle Line train, change at Gloucester Road onto the District Line. Take a Richmond train, which runs one in four. The NA/PRO is 10 mins walk from the station and is well signposted.

Ian