Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14/15 Star question - Which regiment would issue it?

Glen

If a soldier went to France in October 1915 with the Manchester Regiment, but was later transferred (in Jan 16) to the Royal Engineers, which regiment would be shown on the star?

Then the same question if he had transferred to the RE before the cut off date (31/12/15) for the star?

I thought that the Star would be issued by the regiment that he went to France with (and the BWM/VM by the regiment he last served with) but I may be wrong so any advice appreciated

Glen

If a soldier went to France in October 1915 with the Manchester Regiment, but was later transferred (in Jan 16) to the Royal Engineers, which regiment would be shown on the star?

Then the same question if he had transferred to the RE before the cut off date (31/12/15) for the star?

I thought that the Star would be issued by the regiment that he went to France with (and the BWM/VM by the regiment he last served with) but I may be wrong so any advice appreciated

Glen

I think that both 1914 and 1914-15 Stars would show the rank and unit with which a soldier first arrived in the theatre of war.

Roger M

That's what I thought, but the man I am looking at, the date of entry to France does not match the date the regiment arrived. I need to do a bit more digging.

Thanks for the confirmation.

• Admin

A slip that accompanied the BWM and VM medal stated,

'To avoid unnecessary correspondence, kindly note that the Regtl. particulars inscribed on the British War & Victory Medals are those held on first disembarkation in a theatre of war. The rank is the highest attained, PROVIDED IT WAS HELD IN A THEATRE OF WAR OR OVERSEAS PRIOR TO 11.11.18. Appointments such as L/Sgts., L/Cpl/, etc. are not inscribed on Medals, SPECIAL NOTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED IN RIFLE REGTS. 'Rifleman" is not inscribed on War Medals, "Pte." being the correct designation of this rank.'

The same applied to the 14-15 Star, all three would be named to the Manchester Regiment. They would be issued by the unit he was serving in when the award was authorised, i.e. the RE but at different times. The reason is obvious in that his current or last unit would know where the medals should be sent whereas the unit he disembarked with would not. It appears the RE had a specific roll for men who earned the 14-15 Star with other units.e. RE/4C.

As for the date not matching replacement drafts were sent out all the time. Could easily be cleared up if you cared to give his name.

Ken

My grandfather went to France with the 1/4th South Lancs in early 1915. In April 1916 his term of service ended and he was re-engaged in the Royal Engineers. We have his medals, all three of which are named to the South Lancs. This is the only unit mentioned on the accompanying slip.

My grandfather went to France with the 1/4th South Lancs in early 1915. In April 1916 his term of service ended and he was re-engaged in the Royal Engineers. We have his medals, all three of which are named to the South Lancs. This is the only unit mentioned on the accompanying slip.

I wonder if there was an RE BWM & Victory Medal somewhere.

Roger M

• Admin

I wonder if there was an RE BWM & Victory Medal somewhere.

Roger M

Why would there be?

He qualified for all three medals when he first entered a theatre of war, therefore all named to the same regiment.

Ken

Why would there be?

He qualified for all three medals when he first entered a theatre of war, therefore all named to the same regiment.

Ken

I wondered if by any chance the powers that be had failed to realise that the South Lancs man and RE man were the same and had issued medals for RE service.

Roger M

I never heard any family story of a lost second set of medals. However he also has an RE MIC with entitlement to just a pair with remarks Retd (992 KR 1923) 8426 adr.

I never heard any family story of a lost second set of medals. However he also has an RE MIC with entitlement to just a pair with remarks Retd (992 KR 1923) 8426 adr.

In another thread somewhere, a family seem to have a confused set which seemed to suggest that one medal out of each of two sets was missing.