Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/4th Hampshire after Kut

buritonian

Hi SeaJane,

Apologies for the delay in replying.  If your friend in Cheddar knows anything that would be great - I don't really know Somerset.  I think there will still be some living relatives around, including Joseph's daughter in law who submitted the article to Somerset Remembers.

James

I'll ask :)

• 7 months later...
On 12/04/2016 at 18:43, charlie962 said:

Forgive me jumping in on this thread but I have a 1914-15 Star to 5-1973 LCpl C Lowman, with date of entry (5a) 18.3.15 and the BWM/VM roll says 1/5 Hants attached 1/4th. His disembark date agrees with 1/4th original landing in Mespot.

He is also on the SWB roll enlisted 10.8.14 and discharged sick 22.3.19 aged 44.

Might he have been at the siege of Kut ? How would I find out please? Any thoughts ?

thanks

Charlie

Hi Charlie, I've just been looking into my Great Great Uncle Charles Lowman again and re-read this thread. if you still have the medal would it be possible to post a photo of it please?  I met one of the archivists at the Hants Regiment Museum, I will try to visit soon.Thanks, Helen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Charlie, 

I hope you are well? 

If you have time on your hands would you be able to photograph my Great Uncle Charles Lowmans medal for me please? It would mean so much. 

Best wishes 

Helen

• 1 year later...
On 06/02/2017 at 18:47, charlie962 said:

Just a bit of an update on my previous postings about Charles Lowman.

The Prisoner of War records for Kut theatre are now available on ICRC site, under Gallopoli. (see this notice by Charlie2)

I couldn't find an index card but a slow slog through the actual prisoner rolls enabled me to find this man under 'Charles Noman' ! So it pays not to give up.

This is the first time I've seen 1916 prisoner lists for those captured at the fall of Kut. Anyway his 'Noman' card says he was number 1973 (correct) but interestingly doesn't mention Hampshire Regt and just gives his unit as  'Wireless Squadron'. This for me confirms that he is the Cpl C Lowman who manned the wireless during the siege and is quoted numerous times in Lady Neave's book (which I still haven't seen). It also gives his address as Woodlands which means I know which Census is his.

Anyway for those interested in Kut prisoners, look at at the ICRC records and scroll through the original listings because there were plenty of transcription errors getting onto the list and going from the list to the card. Even some of the cards are misfiled so don't give up too easily.

Charlie

PS I didn't find Holloway.

Hi Charlie, 

I went to the Hampshire Regiment Museum today but sadly did not find any new information. In fact the chap there said he didn't believe Charles Lowman was a POW. I tried to see the entry in the ICRC records you mentioned here but couldn't find anything, even under Noman. In the meantime I have found an article in the Hampshire Advertiser dated 31/05/1919 that records Lowman addressing the local school pupils and refers to him as Sgt Major (he was discharged as a Lance Corporal so guess this is probably an error?). I will attach it below. Sorry the quality is not great, its a screenshot of a badly copied file.

Best wishes,

Helen

Lowman.png

Hi Holly,

ICRC Turkish PoW records are hard to find but here is link to Charles Lowman's card. You can go from there to the backing sheets using those R refeferences.

Note they have him as Nowman then Newman !!

7 hours ago, History Hunter said:

In fact the chap there said he didn't believe Charles Lowman was a POW.

No comment.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, you did well to find that with an incorrect name, not even just a mis-spelling! I'm going to do some more research and try to find out about Ladysmith. His grave is inscribed 'defender of Ladysmith and Kut'. Thanks for your help. 

Helen

2 hours ago, History Hunter said:

'defender of Ladysmith and Kut'.

When the garrison of Kut was under siege, those who had been at Ladysmith had a celebration dinner (I use the term loosely given that the garrison were starving) to mark the fact that the Kut Siege had now lasted longer than the Ladysmith. He was presumably one of those diners.

Charlie

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, David CL said:

Just came across this, was wondering if you were aware about an officer escaping? 

Thanks for posting. I did know but often the details are hard to pin down (more so on ORs)

This would be Captain Harris. Here's a link relevant

Charlie

PS the book, 450 Miles to Freedom, covers the escape.

Edited by charlie962

@charlie962

Wow, thank you very much. More info out there than I expected. 

I was kind of hoping that you might of had some knowledge on the matter. Just ordered that book, thanks again. Recently acquired some prewar photos of the 4th battalion, on a bit of a side quest and looking into the 1/4ths. 

DCL

Edited by David CL