Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Surviving 'Casualty Books' from infantry battalions?

IRC Kevin

Are the 1/6th Liverpool casualty books publicly accessible or are they privately held?

Mark

Although they belong to the Liverpool Life Museum, they're held in the archives of the Maritime Museum, as the Museum of Liverpool Life doesn't have any research facilities.

Kevin,

You are lucky!

What a fantastic resource. I wish more of these had survived.

Is there a corresponding set for 2/6th, or even 3/6th?

Very handy for weeding out those IBD transferees indeed.

Be interested to see how you input all that service data in your database.

Best regards,

Matthew

Is there a corresponding set for 2/6th, or even 3/6th?

Be interested to see how you input all that service data in your database

Sadly, no. One of the reasons I decided to do the 1/6th as my next 'battalion biography' was this great source. It'll be a lot harder for the one after on the 1/5th.

I use an Excel database, with columns for name, rank, number, company, enlistment place, residence, date died, two columns for 'key dates', age, marital status, cause of death, burial location, old battalion number, a column for various illnesses & shell shock, number of months deployed before becoming a casualty for the first time, and a large column for comments and details. The latter is for all items of interest in chronological order and also has reference codes to all the sources in my records, so I can find the detailed account when I'm writing. Once I've compiled everything alphabetically, I then sort- based on the first 'key date' column (the second contains the next date in the sequence) and use this to fill in the details of battalion activities for each day of the war. When one date has been written about, I just shuffle the next 'key dates' into the two 'key dates' columns, re-sorting by key date as necessary.

Not infantry but Guards :whistle:

Coldstream Guards are much like the ones Andy posted for the Rifle Brigade

I do have some (copies) original casualty records for the 1st Btn coldstream,gds for 1915-17 and also the 3rd btn for 1914 - with the all important roll for August 1914

Thanks Kevin.

Interesting that it wasn't carried over to 2/6th, or that it didn't survive as I assume there was a fair amount of transfer between battalions with Officers and senior NCOs who might have thought this a good idea. Perhaps there was a very diligent RQMS in 1/6th!

I hadn't thought of key date columns. Sounds like a good way to move chronologically through the data though.

Very helpful.

Matthew

Thanks Kevin.

Interesting that it wasn't carried over to 2/6th, or that it didn't survive as I assume there was a fair amount of transfer between battalions with Officers and senior NCOs who might have thought this a good idea.

All battalions must have had one- just a pity that most didn't survive after the war.

Good Afternoon

Do you think anything like this for the Royal Fusiliers City of London Reg are still in existence? We all know that the majority of the service records were destroyed in ww2 but these records could be most helpful, do these exist in most regimental archives?.

Regards Andy

There are three similar volumes for Other Ranks of 1/4 Suffolk in the regimental archive at the Suffolk Record Office in Bury St Edmunds: c 4,500 names. They cover details from arrival in theatre to date of leaving the Battalion (for whatever reason).

They give date and nature of illness/injury, details of admission to CCS/Field Hospital/Base Hospital, date of return to England (and name of Hospital Ship). In addition you have Company, dates and details of promotions, punishments and leave.

• 2 years later...

Morning all,

I know this feed has not been active for a number of years, but was wondering if anyone has found any additional casualty books for different battalions? I am currently trying to get together as many as possible for my research into British reinforcement policy. For those who are interested, I have discovered a few in recent months. Some have resurfaced during the centenary and received heritage funding to be digitised and turned into an accessible database.

1st, 2nd, 7th, 8th & 9th Norfolk Regiment - http://thecasualtybook.co.uk/access/ - Currently, I am unsure how extensive each record is, but it states there are over 15,000 names, with the record spanning 1914-1919. I am hoping to access these in the next couple of months. 

B: TF 1/1st Bucks, Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry - http://www.gatewaysfww.org.uk/projects/casualties-war - This seems to hold about 3,000 names for the duration of the war.

I believe more have survived, as other 'leads' I am following seem to be based in regimental archives or county record offices and don't seem to have been properly documented or registered, which may be why they have been difficult to find.

On the off chance that anyone who has posted previously about finding similar documents, then I would be very grateful if you could let me know where they are currently held.

Tom. 

Any idea what has become of the Bucks Bn transcription project? I started transcribing these about thirty years ago and have about 50% done.