Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Brown

On 27/10/2017 at 14:43, Martin Brown said:

Hello chums

The aforementioned study is now completed. You can download a copy here. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the report. I know it's a superficial review but we hope to produce something more substantial in due course:

First World War fieldworks in England

Thanks to themonsstar for bumping this up (I must have missed it first time)  and thatks to Martin for the link to the excellent report on First World War Fieldworks in England

Ian

• 1 month later...
On 09/06/2016 at 11:46, Gareth Davies said:

The ones at Bedlam are very hard to see, especially at this time of year. The ones near the Bustard are also pretty hard to see. Further, they're on the training area and so there is no public access to them.

Report on excavations at Bedlam (Perham Down).

Moonraker

Thanks Mr R. Hopefully I will be able to pop over to Bedlam later today or tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Dear Martin,

I am currently researching about the people of Tonbridge and the Great War and have found several references to the Volunteer Corps [3rd Battalion Kent Volunteer] undertaking trench digging duties in the summer of 1916 - I presume that they were working on part of the London defences mentioned in your research. The newspaper reports I have found don't give any great detail, but I wondered if you could confirm my presumption.

Regards,

Dave Swarbrick

• 1 month later...

Has anyone mentioned the training trenches at Barham SE of Canterbury? They were a short horse ride (the ride, not the horse) from Kitchener's Mansion, so I expect he inspected the troops there regularly.

There was a thread on this many years ago.

John

Edited by Gunner Bailey

• 2 months later...