Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Martin Brown

Morning All

Some of you will have seen this on linkedin but not all so here goes...

I recently won the Historic England contract to produce a study on First Word War fieldworks in England. This is intended to cover training trenches but also fieldworks at locations such as ports, factories etc - London Defence Ring for example, or defences identified by Peter Chasseaud at Newhaven.

Whilst I do have an extensive list of sites, particularly of training sites, I am always open to suggestions of particularly good or unusual examples that you think warrant further attention and even proposing for designation,
In addition to English examples, I should like a few comparators from elsewhere, apart from the set I excavated in Belgium, so again if you have anything, I'd be pleased to hear from you; Germany would be particularly exciting!

PM me on here and I will give you my work email, alternatively drop me a line at wyg.com

And yes, there will be credit where it's due, of course!

Many thanks

You might want to contact Tim:

Martin,

I have some stuff that cropped up doing the Digging Dad's Army around Greenwich. I'll call at the weekend or give me a ring at home. I'll show you wht I have from Kent as well!

Rod

Martin

There are 'trenches' close to Docking in north-west Norfolk... indeed they are very close to the previous RAF Bircham Newton, and the site of the Construction Industry Training Board. I am happy to put you in touch with the owner if you are interested.

Andrew

Some at Browndown just inland from the Solent (on MOD land) that featured heavily in BBC news website coverage when they were rediscovered - you probably know about them but for what it's worth: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-26471922

Martin

Rothbury Training Trenches.

http://northumbriangunner.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/rothbury-training-trenches.html

Northumberland County Council are looking to make a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund to provide educational facilities for schools to visit the system. Let me know if this is of interest as there is a plan to do some research as part of the project.

Ian

Martin

As far as trenches abroad go there were certainly some dug during the Easter Rising at St Stephens Green and possibly other parts of Dublin. With the current centenary celebrations I'd imagine information may be pretty close to the surface.

There were also training trenches dug in Heaton Park, Manchester and I think Greenhead Park in Huddersfield, though I don't believe any evidence exists at either site.

Simon

• 3 weeks later...

You wonderful people,

It's really nice to see some exciting new examples come forward in this discussion.

I'm really grateful!

I'm pretty sure there must be more out there and I know people have posted in the past on examples in Kent (between the Eurostar and the M20?) as well as Chiseldon (I think).

Also, does anyone know about the trenches at Lytham St Annes ("Loos Trenches") or trenches associated with the Hull Pals on Beverley Westwood and possibly at South Dalton. David Bilton's excellent book on the Hull pals includes a picture of men digging training trenches but doesn't identify the location.

Thank you in advance

I'm pretty sure there must be more out there and I know people have posted in the past on examples in Kent (between the Eurostar and the M20?) as well as Chiseldon (I think).

Also, does anyone know about the trenches at Lytham St Annes ("Loos Trenches") or trenches associated with the Hull Pals on Beverley Westwood and possibly at South Dalton. David Bilton's excellent book on the Hull pals includes a picture of men digging training trenches but doesn't identify the location.

Thank you in advance

The Loos trenches are the subject of a professional investigation through a local authority, I think. If I recall correctly, it appears that they changed their name when they became a tourist attraction in aid of a local military hospital depending on where the latest fighting had been. They were the subject of a paper at a study day at the University of Central Lancashire a couple of years ago and the Liverpool Scottish Museum Trust has some relevant material from the notebooks of an officer serving with the 3/10 King's Liverpool Regiment. I will check tomorrow.

Ian

Martin,

There are these 2 sites in Ireland that have WW1 Training Trenches, http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/wwi-trench-system-unearthed-in-cork-308695.html and https://www.flickr.com/photos/59592340@N08/7234223234 easly accessible,

Rgds

Mick

Also at Ballykinler ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-world-war-trenches-uncovered-at-ballykinler

Covered in BBC One's Secret Britain on Thursday evening. Jump to 24mins 09 secs in this iPlayer link ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0791rbt/secret-britain-series-3-4-northern-ireland

Near me in Oxfordshire there are examples at:

Whiteleaf, near Princes Risborough

Berkhamstead

Headington/Cowley, near Slade Camp

Halton Camp

All these are on the internet but let me know if you need further details.

The Berkhamstead trench system has recently been cleared and signposted.

I would advise anyone visiting to park in the rough and ready car park out of the town, up on a ridge (dividing the Golf Club) near another war memorial.

It is well worth a visit.

Maxi

Hi Martin

I pointed out these ones at Barham in kent a few years ago.

all the best

Dom.

Edited by spof

The Clwyd-Powys Archaeological Trust (CPAT) have done much excellent work on Great War sites in North-East Wales.

Their scoping study CPAT Report No 1226 - First World War Scoping Study gives a good overview.

More detailed site-specific studies - e.g. on the practice trenches at Kinmel Camp - can be reached via their website here ....

First World War Commemoration

CPAT's work is one part of a wider initiative across Wales: DISCOVER THE LEGACY OF THE WAR IN WALES

Enjoy!
Mark

Also in Blackpool. I came across a newspaper articles in the Liverpool Echo. I'll see if I can locate it.

Did you know that those soldier who did their training at Blackpool (and I do know that the 9th KLR were there) constructed replicas of the Trenches at Loos, prior to their departure for the front. The "Loos trenches were constructed adjoining Watson's Lane, South Shore and included redoubt, sandbags, dugout &c. These trenches were proving to be a popular tourist attration 100 years ago.

Liverpool Echo 15th June 1916

LOOS TRENCHES AT SEASIDE

One of the most interesting of Blackpool's attractions at present is the "Loos trenches" adjoining Watson's Lane, South Shore, an elaborate system of works constructed by the military, and on departure of the troops preserved and maintained for charitable purposes.

The trenches derive their name from the fact that they are modelled on the actual trenches at Loos.

They include a redoubt, dugouts, sandbag defences, &c.

In extent they are probably the largest and most elaborate set of trenches open to the public.

Also a Active service Exhibition was held in Sefton Park August 1916 and the had a replica of the Trench from the "Somme". I have newspaper articles for this.

I've recently been told (and shown pictures) of a Great War airfield at East Boldre in the New Forest.

Episode 3 of Paul Merton's Secret Stations on Channel 4 (Sunday 15th May 8pm, repeated on More 4 Wed 18th May 9pm) makes a rather tongue in cheek visit to the training trenches at Penally (Penalun) in Pembrokeshire. Currently available on catch up Here (A search of the forum using 'Penally' will find other threads on these trenches.)

Remains of training trenches can certainly be found near Pirbright Camp Click to the west of Curzon Bridges between the railway mainline and the B3012 (Hodge bottom); I've also stumbled on what I believe are the remains of training trenches to the north of the Basingstoke Canal & south-west of Porridge Pot Hill; I suspect that there are probably furthers examples scattered around the whole of this area - not, considering the area's long connection with military training, really surprising!

Also visible on the same map further to the west at Deepcut can be seen 'Dismtd Rly'. Currently the raised track beds survive for the WW1 branch line - an extensive part of this general area is being redeveloped for housing (as Mindenhurst) so these may eventually disappear - which extended the pre-war 'Bisley Bullet' branch line (ie served the NRA site at Bisley) from the mainline at Brookwood to Pirbright, Deepcut & Blackdown camps, & was taken up post war (with a limited rebuild to Pirbright Camp in WW2). The foundations of an engine shed & its inspection pit also - again at the present time - still survive. (contemporary maps showing the branch line can be found on the National Library of Scotland map pages (6" :http://maps.nls.uk/view/101436760 & http://maps.nls.uk/view/101436790 & 25": http://maps.nls.uk/view/103314673 ) There are a couple of booklets give details of the history of the line (& the 'Bisley Bullet'): Branch Lines from Brookwood - Peter A Harding (ISBN 978 0 9552403 2 4) & The Bisley Camp Branch Line - Peter A Harding & John M Clarke (ISBN 0 9509414 2 5)

NigelS

• 4 weeks later...

Martin

There are training trenches near Penally (near Tenby) in South Wales.

There are also a couple of sets on Salisbury Plain near Bulfor and Tidworth. There is a set at Bedlam Buildings near Shipton Bellinger covered on a previous thread.

Regards

Colin

Martin

I've recently found out that there were some training trenches at Morfa Camp, Conway. The site is now Conway Golf Club so I'm dubious as to whether any evidence remains. As I have a caravan next door I'll do a bit of delving next time I'm there.

Regards

Simon