Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'His Majesty's Army' Major - a QC. Court Martial descripti

staplescostume

Hello!

I am looking for some advice, (and hopefully images) as to what an Officer of the below description would wear as his uniform. The Major is attending a Court Martial in 1916 and is described as:

'His Majesty's Army, prosecuting on behalf of the army and a barrister in civilian life - a QC'

I presume that, as Major he would have the same rank insignia as an ordinary Major, (the one crown, with three strips of braid). I don't know what QC stands for however? would a person of this description be dressed as a regular Major or is there some difference?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

QC is 'Queens Counsel' - they're supposed to be the top end of the legal profession (KC - 'Kings Counsel')

When it comes to courts it wasn't unusual for legally qualified officers to be utilised for the case, returning to their normal military role afterwards.

Craig

Hi,

He wouldn't have been a QC (Queens Counsel) in 1916 as there was a male head of state - he would have been a KC - Kings Counsel.

KC & QC are senior Barristers.

IMHO the title of KC would not have impacted on the uniform worn as a serving officer.

Regards

Steve Y

No idea of the what he'd wear but I'd assume a QC is exactly what a QC is today - Queens Council and someone who would defend or prosecute in Crown Court.

Hi,

He wouldn't have been a QC (Queens Counsel) in 1916 as there was a male head of state - he would have been a KC - Kings Counsel.

KC & QC are senior Barristers.

IMHO the title of KC would not have impacted on the uniform worn as a serving officer.

Regards

Steve Y

I was wondering on the QC and KC bit - if it was granted under Queen Vic would it have changed from QC to KC on her death ?

Craig

Hi Craig,

Good point but I don't know the answer off the top of my head......

Steve Y

Hi Craig,

Good point but I don't know the answer off the top of my head......

Steve Y

Actually, I think it did - just looked at the article further and it links to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McCall_%28barrister%29- made a QC under Victoria and later used KC (unless he was somehow removed as a QC and later made appointed as a KC).

Craig

Yes, a bit of confusion over the QC part...will investigate but agree that KC would make more sense for the period.

Thanks very much Craig for your help, I haven't read anything to suggest that the Major's uniform would be changed depending on his work as a barrister in civilian life so think it is ok to assume it wouldn't be any different and it's just a case of him being called upon for the courts due to his experience.