Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Genealogist

Skipman

The Genealogist

I'm not keen to fork out too much cash on this website, without knowing what is actually on offer. There don't seem to be any trial periods, or any way of buying a smaller period of subscription, other than a month for £59.95

What records are available on this site that are not available elsewhere, and is it worth the money £119.45

Mike

The Genealogist

I'm not keen to fork out too much cash on this website, without knowing what is actually on offer. There don't seem to be any trial periods, or any way of buying a smaller period of subscription, other than a month for £59.95

What records are available on this site that are not available elsewhere, and is it worth the money £119.45

Mike

There's a 14 day trial period Mike (not sure what records are included though) - https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/14day/?referrer=featured_article_20

Craig

Thanks Craig, hadn't seen that. It looks like the only thing I might want from it are casualty lists. Are many of these lists not available on the British newspaper Archive, or are they more comprehensive lists?

Mike

The Genealogist

Mike

There are different levels of sub. I think that the £59.95 you quote might be for 4 mnths?

There are different levels of sub. I think that the £59.95 you quote might be for 4 mnths?

Aye, got that now. Still not convinced I need it, yet, but will probably dip in at some point.

Mike

The Casualty Lists are (or at least were) at the higher level of subscription - Diamond it was back when I subscribed. They moved the Casualty Lists up from the standard level that I had, so I never renewed after that.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. I'm researching 66 men and wondered if any of them appear at any time in any list that has did appeared in local newspapers. Am not convinced it's worth the Diamond subscription?

Mike

Thanks Steve. I'm researching 66 men and wondered if any of them appear at any time in any list that has did appeared in local newspapers. Am not convinced it's worth the Diamond subscription?

Mike

The 14 day trial will all you to get the casualty lists (I've just signed up)

Craig

Is it easy enough to get out at the other end?

Mike

The subs for the site was easy last time I cancelled (I've tried a previous free trial a few years ago).

There's an option just to cancel the trail in the 'My Account' section.

Craig

The 14 day trial will all you to get the casualty lists (I've just signed up)

Craig

Craig

Can you let us know if they now have the W O Lists for post April 1918 (or thereabouts). Last time it came up on a thread (about 2 months ago I think) they hadn't.

The casualty lists on there are:

The ones in the Times up to mid 1917

W O Weekly lists from when they came out Aug 1917

IIRC from when I took a 14 day trial about a year ago the former gave you a transcript of the entry for the particular soldier in the Times (with the date etc, so you could go to the actual list if you have Times access). The later gave you the whole page of the relevant WO Weekly List.

Hywyn

Craig

Can you let us know if they now have the W O Lists for post April 1918 (or thereabouts). Last time it came up on a thread (about 2 months ago I think) they hadn't.

The casualty lists on there are:

The ones in the Times up to mid 1917

W O Weekly lists from when they came out Aug 1917

IIRC from when I took a 14 day trial about a year ago the former gave you a transcript of the entry for the particular soldier in the Times (with the date etc, so you could go to the actual list if you have Times access). The later gave you the whole page of the relevant WO Weekly List.

Hywyn

That's still how they do it for the records.

I'll check the dates.

Craig

I emailed them a few months ago, and they replied that they had no plans to put the lists from after April 1918 online.

Chris

The NLS have them but they're not on-line and can only be seen there - much the same as the ones that were at Colindale that were moved to the British Library when Colindale closed. Although, having said that, Colindale had some as physical copies and others on micro-fiche. I believe the NLS ones are just the physical copies.

I assume the Times lists are not searchable in that I've accessed the Times for the period 1914-18 but never come up with a search result ? Or am I doing something wrong?

Typeface far too small and blotchy. Never had any success for casualty lists in The Times, unless you know a date. no idea about British Newspaper Archive.

TEW

The Scotsman is searchable: https://archive.scotsman.com/account/login

If the link works, ignore the log-in details and go straight to search. Initially, they did all casualties. Then they reached a point where they only did Scots casualties, plus those serving in Scots Regiments. Then, when the War Office started to publish their casualty lists in around August 1917, they no longer listed the wounded.

Also, the search facility can be a bit hit and miss and if I don't find them, I end up doing a manual hunt for them and usually find them that way.

The British Newspaper Archives have a many useful casualty lists, and very searchable. Obviously limited to the newspapers that have been uploaded. I'm lucky in that the two main Perthshire newspapers have been uploaded already, but have found details of a number of men from various newspapers. Well worth a punt.

Can't comment on FMP search, may be just as good as the BNA?

Mike

The British Newspaper Archives have a many useful casualty lists, and very searchable. Obviously limited to the newspapers that have been uploaded. I'm lucky in that the two main Perthshire newspapers have been uploaded already, but have found details of a number of men from various newspapers. Well worth a punt.

Can't comment on FMP search, may be just as good as the BNA?

Mike

FMP use the BNA archive (the company behind FMP are undertaking the digitising) - I've found search pretty much the same between the two.

Craig