Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres 2016 - International Blacksmithing Event

Ypres2016

Several hundred blacksmiths from around the world will take part in an International blacksmithing event in Ypres 1st-6th September 2016. Set in the market square in front of the cloth hall, 25 master blacksmiths will gather to forge a unique Poppy cenotaph and railing panels. Across 12 complete forging stations, each master, along with a team of six assistants plus support staff will forge the 25 interpretive railing panels. these will surround a 12 tonne, 7metre tall steel slab with 2016 hand forged steel poppies around it's base. There will also be a children's forge making poppies, farriery demonstrations and competition as well as an exhibition of forged metalwork on the theme of "Transition"
Lots more information and ways you can become involved at:
Also, take a look at:
post-127614-0-08031500-1459004671_thumb.

We are creating this piece in memory of ALL affected by the Great War on all sides. All who died, all who returned, their families and their communities.

When finished, the cenotaph will be permanently sited beside the German cemetery at Langemark-Poelkapelle.

As a Blacksmith by trade this excites me, even if not making something watching others and their techniques is always interesting. I have a Lightweight Army Field Forge maybe they would let me demonstrate its use in WW1 Uniform!

Just one simple question why? Disney has a lot to answer for. Is it policy to turn the Salient into some kind of WW1 theme Park?. I seem to remember that this was a war following the invasion and subjugation of Belgium and large tracts of France not some huge mistake where everyone was innocent. Notwithstanding the fact that the "cenotaph" looks horrible and is totally pointless. A 12 ton 7 metres high lump of metal with 2016 metal poppies around the base, this must be April the 1st come early.

PS A cenotaph is an empty tomb not a slab of one-dimensional metal

I'm not surprised Norman.....the whole of the area around Ypres is being turned into an attraction for visitors with tenuous knowledge of what occurred there....

I've often comment in various forums how the tills around the Salient tinkle to the sound of money flowing in.....whilst remains uncovered in the battlefield are quietly disposed of by the developers.

regards

Tom

I my opinion Tom the most serious aspect of this "theme park" concept in Belgium is that by sanitizing the conflict that happened in the salient and reducing it to "it was all a big mistake and we were friends really" distorts history and does great disservice to those of Great Britain and the Commonwealth who fought, suffered and died in Flanders to defeat the invader. In my opinion this is so wrong on so many levels and I wonder who or what is the driving force behind such ludicrous and ill-considered proposals.

Norman

PS A cenotaph is an empty tomb not a slab of one-dimensional metal

Whilst the Greek entymology of the word does specifically mean 'empty tomb' the OED suggests the word has multiple origins and gives it's meaning as:-

"A commemorative monument dedicated to a person or group of people buried elsewhere; esp. a public memorial built in honour of people who died in a war."

So it doesn't just cover monuments in the form of an 'empty tomb'.

Neil

Why?

Aren't there already enóugh monuments and cenotaphs (in whatever description) and memorials and plaques and whatever in West Flanders?

And then a "Poppy cenotaph" to be situated next to (and overlooking no doubt) a German cemetery?

To me that definitely reeks of a (7 meter high) symbolic finger to Germany, a bit of "ha ha, wé won the war, don't you éver forget that"

I thought we'd grown over that as a society, but apparently not.

JW

JW,

You wrote :

"To me that definitely reeks of a (7 meter high) symbolic finger to Germany, a bit of "ha ha, wé won the war, don't you éver forget that"

I'm inclined to think that you have a very vivid imagination and sense of smell. And I'm afraid not a positive one.

And also : If that is what you think - no doubt something that not many people here thought of - maybe it says more about you yourself ?

Maybe you also overlooked what Ypres2016(wrote in his second posting :

"We are creating this piece in memory of ALL affected by the Great War on all sides"

Or did you really think he lied ?

"I thought we'd grown over that as a society, but apparently not."

Well, that is your opinion. But I can't help thinking : apparently not everybody has grown over believing that this is what some people here nowadays believe.

Aurel

In response to the above comments.

I can understand the misgivings that some have about the disneyfying of the Salient but I can assure all that this is a genuine effort to create something worthwhile.

There were thousands of blacksmiths and farriers involved in the conflict and as the centenary was approaching, Luc Vandecasteele, a Belgian blacksmith and prominent member of the Belgian blacksmiths guild felt that as blacksmiths, we should create something to mark the event. It was clear from the start that this would be a big undertaking and so the British Artist Blacksmiths Association (BABA) was approached for help as we have experience of bringing together blacksmiths from many countries to collaborate on large projects. The last one we organised was the "Pillar of Friendship" which involved some 300 smiths from 23 countries. Everyone working on this project is doing so on a voluntary basis and the aim is to involve smiths from as many countries as possible.

I am sorry if some do not like the idea or the physical object but I can assure you that it means a great deal to smiths across the globe to have the opportunity to mark this event and remember all involved including those in our own families and also within our craft who were affected by the conflict. It has the support of the city of Ypres, of the community in Langemark-Poelkapelle and also of the German war graves commission.

Thank you

Henry Pomfret

Forgemaster Ypres 2016

I agree with Terry. During my research on various memorials I have found quite a few men, naval as well as Army who served as Blacksmiths. I was a little surprised intially about the event, but the post from Henry Pomfret more than assuages any lingering doubts. I hope the event is a success,

Keith

Well done Henry, this looks like a worthwhile venture. I look forward to seeing it when it is complete.

JB

nice post Henry, I look forward to seeing it and I hope the event goes well.

• 5 months later...

Managed a few quick words with Henry this morning, the children's poppy wreath will be laid at the Menin Gate, at this evening Last Post Ceremony, which will be attended by a children's choir.

Regards

Alan

I was there on Saturday, and it was a really fascinating event. Congratulations to the organizers.

I was about to post a few pics, but Alan already has, and his are fine(r) !

Aurel