Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Panoramic Photograph of the Battle of Loos

bwarchive

Dear All

Just thought I would show you this, from the Black Watch Archive, in case anyone is interested. It is one photograph from a panoramic set which, according to the information we have was taken just before the start of the battle from the British Artillery positions. If anyone knows different I would be fascinated to hear.

post-127317-0-59287600-1458838272_thumb.

Ps I hope this works

Most favourable ground. Not.

A fascinating picture, many thanks. May I offer a few comments? The first post refers to the 'artillery position', I guess this would be an observer as my limited knowledge of the site (a visit a few years ago) suggests the picture is from forward of gun lines. The origin of the trench map reference is unclear but the latitude and longitude ( if I have mastered Google maps) is now in a car park in the commercial centre beside the E47, possibly among the trees in the middle distance of the picture near the vertical line marked Loos.

Old Tom

I may have misinterpreted the trench map co ordinates but surely those listed above cannot be the point of origin for the photo. Those given indicate the car park of the commercial centre. Well behind German lines on 25th September 1915.

I would suggest that the photo was taken from a point WSW of Loos as the Loos Crassier seems to rise behind tower bridge off to the right of the image.

This would indicate the point where the image was taken as being somewhere in the 47th Division sector.

Hi Euan, the coordinates I gave in post 4 are 36c.h.32.b.3.3. as stated on photograph. I imagine they are in German lines, or behind. I have no idea where the photo was taken from.

Mike

Ah. Thanks Mike. I had not zoomed in enough on the photo and wondered where the map ref came from. The coordinate markers on the photo certainly look right for the area just to the left of Hill 70.

Regards. Euan

• 2 weeks later...

In the WD of 63 Infantry Brigade for September 1915 (WO 95/2157(1)) there is a map which shows H 32 a and c but unfortunately not H 32 b. Chalet and Hugo marked on the photo are in squares H 25 a and H 25 d respectively on the map, Tower Bridge (marked as Pylons and Tower) are in G 36 a on the map so it looks like the picture was taken from somewhere near the junction of the Lens road and the Grenay-Benifontaine road in G 34 b. Has anyone got any images of Hill 70.

Brian

EDIT It is Chalk Pit Wood and the Chalk Pit in H 25 a, not Chalet.

post-105981-0-27318500-1459774325_thumb.

• 1 month later...

post-105981-0-75343200-1464328089_thumb.The above map in 63 Infantry Brigade WD is the same one that is for sale at TNA bookshop. (Trench Map Loos Sheet 36c Provisional Edition). Last week I took this picture from the German Redoubt on Hill 70 at H 31 a 7 0 looking back with Loos on the left.

• 3 years later...

Puits 14 bis is on the right with the Aerodrome just visible on the extreme right. The town in the right distance is Hulluch. Please see this from the current IGN 1:25 000 no 2405 E Lens.

The spot where I took the picture from is marked on the map with the number 67, at the crossroads near the Hopital Pediatrique and I was facing North West. 

Brian

002.JPG

This came from  from the 1/5th South Staffs war diary.

The lower image is on it's side with the photograph on top of the trench map.

1074382833_wo952686.JPG.78bdd065a4040a9ba15e63300aa5f602.JPG

1648612175_item2.jpg.c7d6b185133556cfcb787df573aad679.jpg