Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Glenart Castle nurses killed

seaJane

Afternoon all.

These ladies (names from CWGC) are all on the Hollybrook Memorial at Southampton. All were in the QAIMNS except for the last who was from the TFNS. I know that Katy Beaufoy was matron aboard GLENART CASTLE. Given that the dates of death are all 26 February 1918, would I be correct in assuming that the others were the rest of the nursing staff killed when the ship was torpedoed?

BEAUFOY, KATY Acting Matron

BERESFORD, REBECCA ROSE Staff Nurse

BLAKE, EDITH Staff Nurse

EDGAR, ELIZABETH Staff Nurse

EVANS, JANE Sister

HENRY, CHARLOTTE E. Staff Nurse

KENDALL, ROSE ELIZABETH Sister

MACKINNON, MARY Staff Nurse

Many thanks,

seaJane

Thank you JP :)

More thanks, gentlemen :)

Afternoon all.

These ladies (names from CWGC) are all on the Hollybrook Memorial at Southampton. All were in the QAIMNS except for the last who was from the TFNS. I know that Katy Beaufoy was matron aboard GLENART CASTLE. Given that the dates of death are all 26 February 1918, would I be correct in assuming that the others were the rest of the nursing staff killed when the ship was torpedoed?

BEAUFOY, KATY Acting Matron

BERESFORD, REBECCA ROSE Staff Nurse

BLAKE, EDITH Staff Nurse

EDGAR, ELIZABETH Staff Nurse

EVANS, JANE Sister

HENRY, CHARLOTTE E. Staff Nurse

KENDALL, ROSE ELIZABETH Sister

MACKINNON, MARY Staff Nurse

Many thanks,

seaJane

These are the nursing staff but in addition there was Elizabeth Elba who was a stewardess on the Glenart Castle. She is commemorated by the CWGC through panel 24 on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Thank you Jim. As it happens my enquirer is interested in the medical staff only, but I will pass on the stewardess's name all the same.

sJ

Thanks sJ. I have a nephew who works and lives in Southampton. He will be very interested in this.

I took part in the filming of 'Deep Wreck Mysteries' Red Cross Outrage. which was about the sinking of Glenart Castle and if I remember part of the program centred on Katy's diary.

They came to my place too, Pete, but I didn't get my face on TV - I never do :( (I had recently been dealing with the owner of a REWA diary).

Hi, Edith Blake was my great aunt. I am doing some research concerning her QAIMNS service & am keen to contact any relatives of her friend Rebecca Beresford, who also drowned on the Glenart Castle. Anyone know anything of the Beresfords?

Hi, Edith Blake was my great aunt. I am doing some research concerning her QAIMNS service & am keen to contact any relatives of her friend Rebecca Beresford, who also drowned on the Glenart Castle. Anyone know anything of the Beresfords?

Are you aware that the Imperial War Museum has a photograph of your great-aunt ?

Rebecca Rose Beresford. Birth registered Jul-Aug-Sep 1878, Islington.

Daughter of John Septimus Beresford and Hannah Elizabeth West - married 18 August 1870.

In 1891 she was living at 60 Albion Grove, Islington, with -

Father: John S Beresford (48) Silver Chaser, born Stepney

Mother: Hannah E Beresford (42), born Mile End

Sister: Hannah M Beresford (19) Governess, born Holloway

Brother: Reuben W Beresford (15) Junior Clerk, born Islington

In 1901 Rebecca was Boarding in Palace Place, Westminster. Occupation not recorded.

In 1911, Rose Beresford (32) born Islington was employed as an Assistant at the home of Cyril Edward Arengo Jones and family at The Manor, Kingston, Taunton. Her personal occupation is recorded as Nurse (general) Taunton Hospital.

JP

Thankyou, I have seen the IWM photo of Edith Blake - it is probably the best I have seen of her. I will keep trying with the leads re Beresford, thanks!

• 3 years later...
On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 11:39, Jim Strawbridge said:

These are the nursing staff but in addition there was Elizabeth Elba who was a stewardess on the Glenart Castle. She is commemorated by the CWGC through panel 24 on the Tower Hill Memorial.

Why wasn't she commemorated on the same memorial???

M.

4 hours ago, Marilyne said:

Why wasn't she commemorated on the same memorial???

M.

Because, although they died in the same incident, all Mercantile Marine are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial and nursing staff on the Hollybrook Memorial.

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Because, although they died in the same incident, all Mercantile Marine are commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial and nursing staff on the Hollybrook Memorial.

makes sense… come to think of it ..

Thanks!!

M.

Also we were told at one conference that merchant seamen's deaths were only recognised by the CWGC as war casualties if they were killed by direct enermy action.  So you will find the ones killed when a torpedo struck on the CWGC website but not the ones who died of exposure in lifeboats.  Often the CWGC lists were used when getting names for a war memorial.  Perhaps not relevant with this vessel but it caused a lot resentment in the Western Isles particularly because a large proportion of local men were serving in the Merchant Navy and obvioously many were lost.  Barra did not have any war memorial until relatively recently and I think other places were the same.

That's interesting, because of the definition of "direct enemy action"... it's a bit like the discussions today about the concept of "active participation" in LOAC... 

it would then also exclude those who died from their ship hitting a mine … if the ship that laid the mine is nowhere to be seen or identified, it's not direct action, right?

but then why recognise as war casualty men who were kicked by their horse, who died because they played with an unexploded piece of ammo or otherwise died in freak accidents??

Don't kill me dead… just thinking aloud…

or babbling…

must be the confinement…

M.

The example given was the merchant ship that blew up in Halifax.  He said that the crew of the Mont Blanc (I think that is the name) were not recorded as war casualties by the CWGC nor were the crews of other merchant ships but there RN sailors killed and they were recorded by the CWGC.

Not sure who the speaker was, but the choice of example is unfortunate.  The MONT BLANC destroyed in the Halifax Explosion was a French cargo ship, owned by Soc. Generale de Transport Maritime.  The French crew abandoned her before she blew up, and I believe there was only casualty - a Frenchman.  I do not know if/where French World War One maritime casualties are commemorated, but he would not have been a candidate for the CWGC.

• 3 years later...

Some committees were strict.  The rules for the Lismore memorial were that the person must have been an enlisted soldier in Her Majesties Forces or an enlisted sailor in the Royal Navy.  So no merchant seamen.

There was some correspondence in the Oban Times about a Captain Cameron who was not included and not added later.

Also must have been born and brought on the island so no emigrants who left to go to the colonies and served in Canadian, Australian etc forces.  Not even someone who moved there as an infant.

Mary MacKinnon

Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 12 February 1955 Page 2

The name of her eldest daughter, Mary, bears an honoured | place on the local War Memorial, She was a nurse aind lost her hife when the hospital ship on which she was serving was torpedoed in the First World War, Mrs MacKinnon was buried in Kilmory, the service being taken by Father MacNeill, who also celebrated requiem mass, She will be greatly missed. not least by the surviving members of her family and grandson, to whom the sympathy of the community is extended.