Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British air raid on Hamm, 6 June 1918

Chris_Baker

A soldier I am researching is believed by his family to have been taken prisoner and killed while working at Hamm railway yard, during a British or Allied air raid, on 6 June 1918.

Not being an air war type myself, can anyone tell me if records of raids are likely to be found?

Or can anyone confirm that such a raid did take place on that date?

The soldier in question is Private 306470 John Taylor Barnet, of 12th (Service) Battalion of the King’s (Liverpool Regiment).

Hi Chris,

I know that the Independant Force of the RAF came into being on this date. It was commanded by Major-General Sir H.M. Trenchard and its primary task was strategic bombing of the enemy.

100 Sqaudron were part of this force, and there is an excellent website dedicated to them.

Here is the website index:

www.patrickwilson.com/annals/book.html

If you click on Chapter 6 (Operations), you can trace the combat/bombing sorties for the date you need.

It doesn't mention Hamm, but I suppose it's a step in the right direction.

Maybe others can add some more concrete details to this?

Matt.

Raids for the 6th of June for the Independent Force seem to be :

55 Squadrons target was Coblenz , and 99 Squadron targeted Thionville . Not sure if either of these are near Hamm sorry .

Raids for the 6th of June for the Independent Force seem to be :

55 Squadrons target was Coblenz , and 99 Squadron targeted Thionville . Not sure if either of these are near Hamm sorry .

Woo-hoo, Phil's surfaced.

Sadly, my underground bullion scratcher, Coblenz/Koblenz and Thionville are a LONG way south of Hamm.

Hamm lies midway between Dortmund (not so happy days for me!) and Munster.

27 Sqn seem to have been active, though......

Chris

Hamm (or Ham, according to The War in the Air) was bombed by aircraft from IX Brigade RAF on 6 June 1918. The Brigade, comprising Nos 27, 32, 43, 49, 73, 80 and 103 Sqns RAF, plus No 2 Sqn AFC, had moved south to the French sector on 3 June.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth