Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Seine - Nord Canal

Hedley Malloch

Proposal for a Seine - Nord Canal

The French papers are carrying reports that the Voies Navigables de France wants to substantially upgrade the canal network in Northern France by improving links between the Dunkirk - Escaut Canal and the waterways between Noyon and Compiegne. The proposals involve some combination of the following:

1. An upgrading and substantial realignment of the Canal du Nord (CdN)

2. The construction of a new relief canal from the CdN from round about Flesquieres and rejoining the CdN west of Roye

3. A new canal from the Dunkirk - Escaut canal north of Cambrai to the CdN at Noyon.

A glance at a map showing the proposed changes show the new canal network bisecting the battlefields of Arras, Cambrai, the Somme, St. Quentin and Compiègne. Given this, and the proximity of many CWGC cemeteries and memorials to the canals, then there is the possibility of a bigger threat than that posed by the Somme Airport. There is a map of the proposed developments on page 2 of La Voix Du Nord for Friday 9 May. You might be able to access this on http://www.lavoixdunord.fr. If this is not possible then I'll see if I can scan a copy onto the Forum

It is estimated that the work will take 5 years, cost 2.7 milliards of Euros and provide employment for 8000 people. It could be finished by 2014. The proposal is still on the drawing board and the economics of the project are not clear. But perhaps it is not too early to start making representations?

Fascinating article and proposals - it will dig up near a lot of important places. Probably, as when they built the M26, they will employ blindfolded construction people in case they find too much in the holes they dig.

Can't find the map - the Voix site doesn't show the whole paper, just bits they choose to pre-digest, so a scanned page would be excellent, Hedley.

This is serious stuff and in many ways just as threatening as a motorway construction. I would appreciate it if Hedley and others could keep us abreast of developments.

For information, I have sent Chris a scanned copy of the map of the proposed changes to the canal network. I have also written to the CWGC who have told me that there are aware of the plans and are keeping an eye on things.

• 2 years later...

"Proposals" like this would take ten years in the UK (I'm still looking forward to the proposed duelling of the A46 from Newark towards Nottingham), so imagine how long this will take in France!

Andy and Graham,

I am sorry to have to tell you that the project is alive, well, funded and will commence in about two years time. I did post an update on this project in the 'Battlefields in Danger' section of the Forum about three months ago. The French do take their time to make up their minds, but once the decision is taken then they can move very quickly.

The project will have a major impact on the memorials, cemeteries and battlefields between St. Quentin and Cambrai - all key 1917-18 areas. South-west of Cambrai is pencilled-in to become the Spaghetti Junction of an upgraded canal network.

• 3 years later...

Just reviving this very old thread, as things are beginning to move on this project

an agreement on funding share is expected to be signed next week. Work will start in the second half of 2011 and be finished by 2015.

there is a website here, some of which is in English, with a map of the planned route and quite frightening details of the dimensions. Obligatory archaeological work has begun, but seems to be concentrating on stuff much older than the Great War

cheers Martin B

Hey Chaps,

Why should we deny the French economic progress,for the sake of History?

The proposal is to develop a Canal,which to my mind,is more environmentally friendly,than Motorways and Airports.

If I had lain in the ground for 90 years,and had to be disturbed,given the choice,I would rather move for a canal development. :D

George

Have to agree with George. Cannot stop progress.

TT

It's still unfortunate that as the years pass it will become increasingly difficult to research battles and the fate of individual soldiers on the ground because that particular piece of land has become a canal or a motorway or a TGV line.

The excavators for this project are sure to find human if not other remains. I hope they will be given the respect they deserve and not just ignored, covered up again or end up heaven only knows where because the contractors have deadlines to meet.

One partial answer is to visit the affected area while you can

cheers Martin B

Martin,

I agree with all you say,but,with one qualification which I know will not sit well with members of the Forum i.e.visit affected area while you can.

To be honest I think we look at these areas through rose coloured spectacles,either because of Family or academic WW1 interest.

To view the true battlefields,and plot the progress of individual/group action,we would have to have been there on the day,but record the results with hindsight,complete accuracy,etc.

Progress of time,human intervention,etc has changed the land to that,which existed between 1914/18 so,however,the land looks similar to WW1 maps,it will have changed e.g.foliage growth,routes of foot tracks changed or merely paved over.

It is an uneasy truth but we must address it.WW1 is important to the Forum,but in the general scheme of things,especially to the progress of the Countries that through unfortunate history had WW1 played out on their soil,the Forum's voice and other more important Foreign Governments' concerns,will be listened to,acceded to where possible,but not to the detriment of that Country's self-interest.

I have no issue with that statement.As a Briton I find it difficult to influence my own Country's progress so if I wished to exert influence,on the Countries where the WW1 was fought,I would feel that my Country had participated in the First War to influence/control their future,rather than defend their independence.

George

Hi George

I agree it is far too late to freeze the battlefields in time, even had we wanted to, though it might have provided a salutary lesson for

succeeding generations if just a small portion had been left as it was on 11/11/18. But nature if not man would eventually have wiped out the traces, and we must accept that, as well as the need to improve our daily lives through better communications, providing jobs etc.

As a bit of a conservative (with a small 'c') I still think it's a pity that so much of the old world, even that which I knew just 50 years ago, is disappearing

cheers Martin B

Ahh Martin, a sign of age....we all remember better days and a better world! Our kids will say the same. I look at my own neighbourhood and often remark...I dont like the changes etc. We all want it the way it was!

Getting back on track one comment I make and it is not to provoke.......many people dont even know this area nor ever intend to visit. The Somme and Ypres capture the imagination etc and no school trips ever go that way ( at least I have never seen any). Apart from the occasional cemetery / memorial it is the often overlooked battlefield.

I wonder how the British public would protest if a new motor way / canal was planned to be built between Bapaume and Albert running parallel to the main road and a branch off towards Thiepval spur?

Regards

TT

I wonder how the British public would protest if a new motor way / canal was planned to be built between Bapaume and Albert running parallel to the main road and a branch off towards Thiepval spur?

How do you know it isn't? ;)

cheers Martin B