Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Passey

Handwriting Help with war diary entry - 1/5th KOSB - 21 July 1918

Passey

Dear All,

I have been tracing the steps of a cousin who died fighting with the 1/5th King's Own Scottish Borders in July 1918. I am having trouble with 2-3 words in the second sentence for the war diary entry for 21 July 1918 and I'm hoping fellow members might have the answer or some ideas. This is what I have so far:

"Marched all night on very heavy roads 16 miles to SOUCY. Men were wearing fighting order with ????? ?? ????? round haversacks for the first time. The march was one of the most trying we ever had. A great many men fell out, entirely from the new draft, but all rejoined eventually by 8 or 9 am. March discipline was very poor and must be improved. Battalion bivouacked in the woods."

post-9024-0-53910100-1458433306_thumb.jp

The war diary can be found on the National Archives website (recorded as 5 Battalion and not 1/5 Battalion): http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C7353916

I have some ideas, but I won't share them yet in case I influence the responses.

I look forward to hearing what the forum comes up with.

Cheers

Simon

Passey

Hi Sam,

That was quick. That's good as my wife and I had the same idea, but we just can't figure out what it's followed by. Looks like "bandsrolle". I have googled and even tried crossword solvers but can't seem to find anything. The only thing that may come close with a relation to greatcoats and haversacks is bandoliers...

Cheers

Simon

TEW

I'm seeing BANDSROLLE, corruption of Banderole ie banner.

TEW

Greatcoats en banderolle

Correct spelling is banderole.

Basically the greatcoats rolled lengthwise and wrapped around the haversack in this case. Sometimes greatcoats en banderole had the greatcoats wrapped over one shoulder and secured across the body. MG

Passey

Hi TEW and Martin G,

Thanks for clearing that up and explaining what it means. As soon as I googled "greatcoats en banderole" there were loads of hits. I just obviously didn't hit the right combination searching the first time.

Many thanks,

Simon