Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

THE ROYAL VICTORIA HOSPITAL NETLEY

Guest David Redhead

Guest David Redhead

Hi There

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any medical records kept when this hosptail closed and if so were would they be. Thank you

Dave

I seem to remember reading that there was no methodical archiving or preserving of records when the hospital closed. I have recollections of horror stories of doctors just emptying cabinets of anything they wanted, and taking it home, while other stuff just waited to be destroyed during the demolition. I can't remember the source of this - it could have been in Philip Hoare's 'Spike Island' - I'll have a browse through some time. I do hope I'm wrong - perhaps Southampton Local Studies Library might have some information.

They say that most of Netley is now underneath the Totton flyover - perhaps that includes the records as well :(

Sue

If the soldier you are looking for is a Canadian, the Netley medical records ended up in their military files, now stored in Canada. These will come as part of the package when you order a particular man's file from the National Archives of Canada.

When I ordered this file for my great uncle, I received all the medical charts from Netley - including daily temperature charts, etc., and doctor's reports. He died there in July 1915 after staying there two months.

Here's one of the charts for Netley hospital dated May 1915. This is reduced in size just so you can get an idea. The chart also has notations regarding the administration of morphine, how much, surgeries, blood pressure. What you are seeing is the temperature recorded - this was done twice daily.

post-6-1101571026.jpg

Dave

When you mentioned the hospital before it closed, I thought you might be referring to later records. I imagine that the WW1 medical records went the same way as most of the others, and were destroyed.

Sue

They say that most of Netley is now underneath the Totton flyover - perhaps that includes the records as well    :(

Sue

All that remains of The Royal Victoria Hospital at Netley is the chapel building which was in the centre of the hospital. It houses an excellent exhibition detailing the history of the hospital. It's located in what is now the Royal Victoria Country Park and where the old hospital was is now green space.

Click here for photos

Totton is on the other side of Southampton Water <_<

All that remains of The Royal Victoria Hospital at Netley is the chapel building which was in the centre of the hospital.

The old asylum (in part) and surrounding brick wall also remain. This now forms part of the Hampshire Constabulary Southern Support and Training Centre (Victoria House).

Totton is on the other side of Southampton Water

I think that Sue was probably referring to the fact that a lot of the rubble from the demolished building is said to have been used as part of the Totton flyover rather than that this is now on the same site.

Marc