Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Talbot House Pop

kerry

Dear All,

having stayed in Toc H for a few days last week the presence of disquiet among wardens and friends regarding certain changes was evident. I have made further enquiry and the position as explained to me appears to be as follows:

It became obvious in discussions last year at the Talbot House Association AGM, that the soon-to-be-restored Concert Hall would make an ideal museum space and quasi extention to the 'In Flanders Field' main museum in Wipers. It was also clear that the old House was wearing out under the sheer numbers of visitors.

The dilemma's solution, apparently, is to create two types of visitors' tickets: one to give admission to the Concert Hall Museum and garden, and the other, at an additional charge, to allow admission to the House.

The Concert hall museum would give such detail on the history of the House to make entering the House itself unnecessary. Access to the Museum and gardens would be through the main Concert Hall for visitors, whereas access to the House for residents only, will continue to be through the original white door on Gasthuisstraat.

As an outsider, I see two problems with this proposal.

1. What will be the future roll of the wardens if organised visits cease, especially accessing the attic Chapel, heart of Toc H?

2. It is likely that visitors will not be put off by detailed external histories in the Concert Hall - they would simply pay the extra and enter the House anyway - so the wear and tear on the House fabric would continue.

I'm sure we would all agree that Toc H in Pop forms part of the bedrock of the historical, spiritual and emotional fabric of any visit to the Salient. But if the old House can't keep bearing the weight of visitors, what other choice is there, apart from banning entry completely to casual day visitors?

We do need to preserve Toc H for future generations.

Any thoughts?

Kerry

Kerry,

I am one of the volunteer wardens at Talbot House as I live not so far away. I spend a lot of time at the house and have to agree with what you say above. In answer to your questions about the future of wardens, I still think the future is bright here as the house will still accept guests to stay overnight once the museum is complete and whilst guests residein the house a warden is always needed.

Regards

Iain

I took the opportunity to sit in the Chapel completely alone for 30 mins or so in April figuring that this sort of experience will eventually be denied to people. What a shame that would be. But if the solution is to stay there to get access to the place in the fullest sense of the word , I for one will be block booking an annual nights stay !