Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ASC Depot Isleworth - P & L?

Phil Wood

John Digweed was conscripted in August 1918 into the Gloucestershire Regt. In October he was transferred to the ASC (Pte T/441633) and sent to Sydenham for driver training. It seems he was not a success and in February 1919 he was transferred again to Isleworth - P & L Branch.

The best explanation I can come up with for P & L is 'pioneer and labour' - but I'm not convinced. Can anyone tell me the correct interpretation?

Petroleum and lubricants, most likely. Motor transport would have required quite a lot.

Ron

Thanks for the input - better suggestions than my wild stab in the dark - but still guess work.

I would have thought that packing and loading was ubiquitous, would it have a 'branch'? I guess there is no reason why not.

Isleworth was (I believe) still ASC(MT) so petroleum and lubricants makes sense. Though, strictly speaking not grammatically right (fuel & lubricants or petrol, oil & grease) I doubt that would bother the Army too much.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I think that Frogsmile would agree with johnboy. Part of a message he sent to me in September last year reads:

"I have also learned that the "P and L" annotation in the ASC roll refers to Packing and Loading section of the Supply Branch, for which he would have received a few pence extra pay.".

Regards

Chris

Thanks all

Chris - I guess that's a definite maybe?

Phil (reaching for a coin to flip).

Hi Phil,

I guess that it's a bit like "you pay your money, you take your choice". Unfortunately, I don't know where Frogsmile got his information from - I was trying to help him (off Forum) with another aspect of his family member (his grandfather, if I recall) service. He did subsequently though post this

Regards

Chris