Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BEDFORDSHIRE REGT CAP BADGE - WHICH BN?

max7474

All,

PSA a scan of an all white metal Bedfordshire badge fo the pre1919 pattern. Can anyone tell me what is the significance of being all white metal? Is it a rank thing like the Middlesex when their SNCOs wore all white or a dress uniform badge or possibly a territorial battalion badge?

Any one have a view?

All White Metal Badges were usually worn by VB of pre ~ 1908 Battalions,My K & K is not to hand @ the Moment,but I expect that will be what it is,Though they usually have a Plaque or Scroll with Vol:Battn; etc; on them from my Experience OTTOMH ;)

No significance in the bage being white metal & does not belong to any one btn. The Badge shown is number 610 in K&K. It changed in 1919 when Hertfordshire was add to the title in recognition of the fact many men from Hertfordshire enlisted in the Bedfordshire Regiment during the great war. (Army Order 269 of 1919) This last bit is taken from K&K page 182.

No significance in the bage being white metal & does not belong to any one btn. The Badge shown is number 610 in K&K. It changed in 1919 when Hertfordshire was add to the title in recognition of the fact many men from Hertfordshire enlisted in the Bedfordshire Regiment during the great war. (Army Order 269 of 1919) This last bit is taken from K&K page 182.

#610 K & K is the Bi~Metal badge Worn by Bedfordshire Regiment Units 1880~1919 { when It was Replaced by the White Metal Badge Of the Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire Regiment[in Honour of the Numbers of Hertfordshire Men who had served in the Beds in WW!}

K & K 610 Quote:~

"The Bedfordshire Regiment. 1] A Maltese Cross superimposed on an eight~pointed star.On this the Garter proper & in the centre a Hart crossing a ford.Below ,a scroll inscribed "Bedfordshire" Star & Scroll in GILDING METAL,remainder in WHITE~METAL"{fig 610}

An all white metal Badge is indicative of VOLUNTEER Battalions pre WW1,it has significance :)

• 3 weeks later...

many thanks. I think that the 4th Bn is quite probable. When the Bn was raised agin in the 1960s for a short period it had an anodised badge of the same pattern so it would seem likely that it was the original post 1908 Territorial pattern.