Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Monthly Army Lists

PhilB

There is an online source for Army Lists but they all seem to be quarterly lists restricted to regular officers. Is there a similar online source for Monthly Lists that include all officers or does anyone sell a CD that covers them?

• 3 weeks later...

There is an online source for Army Lists but they all seem to be quarterly lists restricted to regular officers. Is there a similar online source for Monthly Lists that include all officers or does anyone sell a CD that covers them?

Hi Can I ask you what Period are you looking for, I have around 20 discs with the Lists on them, I now no longer need them so could be pursuaded to let them go .

Use a US web proxy server (so it thinks you're in the US) and you can access the documents in the link given in post 3 .

EdIt:

For some reason once I've done the search I have to select 'Download this page (PDF)' on the left hand side to see the actual page details.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Hi Can I ask you what Period are you looking for, I have around 20 discs with the Lists on them, I now no longer need them so could be pursuaded to let them go .

It could be any time, grandpa - I try (without success) every month or so for a different officer, as I come across them. :( The late 1918 would be particularly useful!

Thanks, Maureen & ss. How does one access a US web proxy server?

Use a US web proxy server (so it thinks you're in the US) and you can access the documents in the link given in post 3 .

EdIt:

For some reason once I've done the search I have to select 'Download this page (PDF)' on the left hand side to see the actual page details.

Craig

I got as far as that about a fortnight back trying to get into the Hathi Trust to access something else.

I got stopped because it then asks for a user log in and as far as I could see, such log ins are only available for bona fide members of recognised academic institutions. All the options presented in a drop-down list box were US universities (possibly some Canadian? Uncertain now).

If anyone gets further, could they update us here? :thumbsup:

Mark

PS Be careful about selecting web proxy servers - some of them are fronts for ne'er-do-wells trying to harvest log-ins. Go for one that's been around a while.

This post I made elsewhere the other day may also be relevant ...

Hi Mark!
Probably it´s because of my prussian mentality... If he was an officer, he has to be mentioned in the list. I bought the army lists and I´d be disappointed, if they ´d not be complete

Andy,
Before you buy any more, be aware that a lot of those relevant to our period are available on-line from the National Library of Scotland.

See these links (which both reach the same material):
http://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/pageturner.cfm?id=97343435

http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Anlsarmylists&sort=-publicdate

Cheers,
Mark

These are the Quarterly (and the later Half-Yearly) lists of course, and, I assume, the source mentioned higher up.

Hi I have given the discs away relevant to WW1 but anyone interested in earlier periods I have 11 more to give Just a donation for postage please.

• 6 months later...

Dear Maureen,

Many thanks for the helpful link. You are the BEST!

I immediately - for example - found my Lieut. Norman Arthur Denson, a 'Varsity man (Sheffield), who sat out most of the War in a Training backwater with the Buffs.

However, a 30 June 1918 appointment saw him crossing to France in July, as a Railway Traffic Officer, on the Staff of the Railway Traffic Establishment...

Kindest regards,

Kim.

denson1.jpg