Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identification of Uniform

Guest redalir

I am new to this forum, and have being trying to find out which regiment my husbands grandfather was in. The only information I have is that he may have been in a horse regiment - probably a Scottish one. Does this uniform match that?

Unfortunately he is not wearing a hat, but he has badges at his collars. I can post a closer image of these if it would help.

I only have 1 photograph which I have attached(hopefully).

post-23-1101503141.jpg

The leather bandoleer is certainly ok...

I don't know about the collars, i am no expert in that :(

Paul has it I think...Scottish Horse. (Yeomanry) The bandoleer was worn by mounted troops and his collars look like the first pattern for the Scottish Horse ,#109, British Army Collar Badges, by Churchill and Westlake.

Shoulder title is "iffy" and lanyards were worn for all kinds of reasons.

DrB

:)

Shoulder title is "iffy" and lanyards were worn for all kinds of reasons.

Lanyards were worn for three reasons; Pistols, whistles, and Clasp knives. By far the most numerous was the claps knife lanyard.

That one is a clasp knife lanyard worn in the correct manner with the knife in the left breast pocket. Unfortunetly Common to everyone.

I think Paul has the answer.

Joe Sweeney

Joe,

can you explain the clasp knife lanyard to me???

This is new!

Is it like the pocket knife cord, but the not around your hip, but worn as a lanyard???

any images on that one?

many thanks,

kristof

Kristof,

Prior to WWI Clasp knives with lanyards were general issue to just about every mounted soldier. Specifically this included the Household Cavalry, Cavalry of the Line, MMP, RHA, RFA, RGA, RE, ASC, AVC, RFC, and AOC.

In 1901 a pattern of lanyard was approved that actually included a series of different styles of cording--all were white or natural flax. I believe their were four different types of braided white lanyard for clasp knives. All white lanyards were clasp knife lanyards.

These are commonly seen being worn around the shoulder with knife in a breast pocket. How worn was up to the Corps standing orders or what ever document prescribed wear of knife and lanyard. For ASC it was prescribed in ASC Training Part 1 app. II which presecribed that the knife and lanyard be worn for No. 1 and No. 2 Dress (Full and Service Dress) for ASC Horse Transport personnel the lanyrds was worn around the left shoulder and knife in left breast pocket.

White lanyards seem to be a perceived as a sole tradition of the Royal Artillery but in WWI were not.

After the outbreak of war issue of Clasp knives became pretty much universal and Lanayrds were to be issued with them. However, the the type of lanyard issued became a bit haphazard. In addition, to the white lanyards issued to Mounted men there were two other kinds--pistols and whistles which were sometimes seen with knives.

Joe Sweeney

Here is a lanyard with a 1915 dated whistle attached.

post-23-1101527949.jpg

I am new to this forum, and have being trying to find out which regiment my husbands grandfather was in.

Do you have his Name?? If so a NA Online Search of his Medal Index Card Should Reveal His Regiment???;Just A Thought? :)

Thanks for all the help. Scottish Horse was the regiment that the family guessed at, but no one was sure, so it is good to hear that this fits. Although I do have a question - at some point I was told the the Scottish Horse amalgamated with the Fife & Forfar. Is this true? and if it is which badge would be worn?

His name is William Ross (not really an unusual name in Scotland!). I have done a NA online search and found a William McD Ross in the Scottish Horse, but did not think this is him, as he has no middle name.

I will have a look in the book that DrB recommended, and I have had a look at the web page recommended by Paul and I am finding this all very interesting.

It is amazing what you can find out from a uniform.

I have attached a closer version of the collar badges.

Thanks again for the help.

Alison

post-23-1101596997.jpg

I hate to cast dispersions on previous posts,but the Collar badges,dont appear to be Scottish Horse[A Crowned Wreath with Cross of St Andrew}they appear to be more of a Crowned Star similar to Badges worn by ASC Personnel[Who also wore the Bandolier}There are a number of William Ross's in ASC in the MiC Index

Scottish Horse 2

VR/EVIIIR/GVIR Types of ASC/RASC,George V {ie WW1 Types { there were Variants} are Similar}

I do believe that Harry is calling it right...it does look a lot more like the ASC than the Scottish Horse. I will withdraw my original statement.

DrB

;)