Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
tullybrone

CHANGE IN MOD POLICY - WILL NOW ISSUE PREVIOUSLY UNISSUED WW1 MEDALS

james_harvey

Well done.

james_harvey

Great news have just received my great grandfathers victory medal as it was not issued.

I have now received my great great uncles pair

Trying to locate my other great grandfathers service to see if he claimed his medals

The Inspector

Nice one James, well worth the effort

Regards Barry

james_harvey

Could not get his clasp as I could not prove he was under fire between the dates

The Inspector

Hi All

My grandfather's BWM arrived from the MOD this morning, without this forum I wouldn't have had a clue about it...thanks to everybody!!!!

Regards Barry:D

Simon66
On 06/03/2016 at 20:35, tullybrone said:

Hi,

I've posted on another topic - see link - where it has been asserted that MOD have changed established policy and wil issue previously unissued ( not only returned) WW1 campaign medals.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=235435&view=getnewpost&hl=&fromsearch=1

Will be of great interest to members who are NOK of service personnel who did not claim medals ie Commissioned officers

See reply to my query below.

Good Luck

Steve Y

Thank you both I'm hoping I can get them

lisa 

Ken Lees

I found this thread whilst researching the subject and wondered if anyone has knowledge of the current situation?

My wife's great-uncle was killed in 1917. His BWM and Victory Medals were issued, but then stolen, recovered (offender charged) and returned to the Medal Office. All of this is documented within his service papers, including an acknowledgement of receipt by the Medal Office.

There are no annotations to the Medal Roll nor the Medal Index Card.

The family did not get the medals re-issued, so what are our chances of getting them re-issued to NOK?

Any recent experiences?

tullybrone

Hi,

It’ll cost nothing to apply so I’d give it a go with a covering letter and copy documents.

Good Luck.

Steve

james_harvey

Apply with all the copied correspondence proving they were returned.

good luck not sure when they will stop this service as they only changed the rules in 2014

trench whistle
On 07/03/2016 at 11:38, james_harvey said:

One last word of warning. When the medals arrive you need to sign a declaration saying you will not sell them, if you do sell them you can be prosecuted.

I suppose this is to stop people making a quick profit and if for genuine family to cherish and remember a ww1 hero

This is an interesting point. I am sure nobody in possession of a newly issued set would offer them for sale. Though at some point such is life some may come onto the collector market. How would a collector be able to spot a new issue, how do they compare to the original issue, are they identical for example is the BWM made of silver?

Edited by trench whistle
duplication of text

james_harvey

yes Made of silver

I have seen the arctic star for sale on eBay but not seen any ww1 medals yet for sale

tullybrone

I’m not sure about WW1 Campaign Medals but WW2 Medals are delivered in individual “smart” medal boxes - a big change from the one small cardboard box used to deliver all “original” issue medals to demobilised service personnel 70 years ago.

Steve

james_harvey

Yes the ww1 medals come in the same black boxes. Very nice indeed.

DavidOwen

How does this work for Merchant Mariners?

I have a friend whose great uncle died aboard the Grimsby Trawler Cheshire when it hit a mine. He would have been entitled to BWM and Mercantile Marine medal, there is no record of them ever having been claimed - should we try to claim at least the BWM?

james_harvey

Try and claim both as they are being issued by the mod medal office 

they will soon let you know if not entitled 

regards

james

DavidOwen
2 hours ago, james_harvey said:

Try and claim both as they are being issued by the mod medal office 

they will soon let you know if not entitled 

regards

james

Will give it a go.

Tried ringing them on the number Barry gave to be told "We don't deal with ww1 medals" so will just send the form in and see what occurs.

DavidOwen

Update

Sent form and supporting info off to the MOD Medal Office a couple of weeks ago. A letter has come back saying that the MOD Medal Office isn't able to assess claims for merchant seamen BUT they have kindly forwarded it to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (Cardiff). So fingers remain firmly crossed!

derekb

Does this apply to the Silver War Badge?

My Grandfather was discharged after 54 days, being no longer fit for military service with no SWB issued.

tullybrone
20 minutes ago, derekb said:

Does this apply to the Silver War Badge?

My Grandfather was discharged after 54 days, being no longer fit for military service with no SWB issued.

Youll never know until you apply but I’ve not heard of any successful applications. Current policy change is in relation to issued medals that were returned to MOD - for various reasons - and not subsequently reissued.

I've not read the whole topic for a long while but I don’t think the change applies to officers medals - which like SWB for persons discharged early in the war - had to be claimed.

Steve

DavidOwen
On 22/11/2018 at 14:07, DavidOwen said:

Update

Sent form and supporting info off to the MOD Medal Office a couple of weeks ago. A letter has come back saying that the MOD Medal Office isn't able to assess claims for merchant seamen BUT they have kindly forwarded it to the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (Cardiff). So fingers remain firmly crossed!

Just had the reply from the Maritime Agency.

They are no longer issuing ww1 medals and claim that no more will be struck as the Royal Mint has destroyed the dies.

Replicas it will have to be then....

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

james_harvey

I would write back informing them the MoD medal office are now re issuing medals that were returned

you never know they may ask them to issue them

DavidOwen
4 minutes ago, james_harvey said:

I would write back informing them the MoD medal office are now re issuing medals that were returned

you never know they may ask them to issue them

Did put that in the email, so you never know. 

Thanks for all the help.

DavidOwen

Latest update:

I emailed the Royal Mint asking about remaining stocks of the Mercantile Marine medal and the statement from the Maritime & Coastguard Agency's Medal Office that the dies had been destroyed and their reply received this morning is below. Consequently a new email will be sent to the MCA. The medals under discussion were BWM and MMM.

"To answer your question is short.  If the MoD came to ourselves for an order for any of the medals below, they could be made.  If dies are no longer available, they would be remade.  Obviously, there would be a cost involved in this but again, that would be a matter between your friend and the MoD Medal Office."

DavidOwen

Sadly the latest email from the MCA medal office is disappointing as shown below:

"Unfortunately I can only reiterate my earlier response, that the Registry of Shipping and Seamen (RSS) have no plans to investigate starting to re-issue WWI medals....

....I’m sure that the Royal Mint would be ready and willing to produce any new dies required should either organisation order them but RSS will not be doing so in the foreseeable future."

Looks like we shall have to go down the replica route after all (did think of writing to the MPs whose constituencies are relevant but suspect that would just be a waste of everyone's time).

Thanks for all the support everyone!