Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Divisional War Diaries

Cam_s

Hello All,

I understand a lot of WW1 German archival material has been lost or destroyed but does anyone know if the war diaries for the 18th Res Div, the 10th Bav Div or the 16th Div have survived?

Does anyone know if they have unit histories that were published as well?

Thanks,

Cam

As good as all war diaries (incl. all kinds of appendices) from the Bavarian units are still available. There are plenty of regimental histories (published) available for the divisions you mention as well, most of which I have.

Jan

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. So these divisions were located in front of the 3rd Aust Dive and the II ANZAC Corps along the Messines - La Basse Ville front. I am wanting to find out any reports of downed British Aircraft for 22-23 Jul 1917. The 36 Aust Inf BN reports that on 22 Jul 17 2x British Aircraft went down in the German lines and numerous intelligence reports reflect the air to air combat that day.

Do you know if the Divisional Histories will have that level of detail? Being a Canadian and not able to speak German or be in Germany, are there German researchers that can be hired to look through the Bavaarian Archives for this information?

Thanks,

Cam

Hello,

I have checked the regimental histories some time ago when you asked about the downed airplane. There was no more information.

In Munich one would have to go through several of the unit war diaries. Succes is not guaranteed. Please contact me by e-mail, as I go there every now and then for research.

Jan