Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'A' Bn. Tank Corps Cambrai - Patient

TEW

Have been contacted by a descendant of a man who moved from ASC - A Coy. MGC (Heavy) in Sept 1916 then A Bn. Tank Corps Oct 1917.

His service records are on find my past but split between 3 entries and all out of sequence -

Hoyle ASC M2/103691

Hoyle Tank 75006

Despite treatment for neurasthenia after his lorry was hit while driving it he transferred to MGC (Heavy) just before first use of tanks. Driver in civvy life, driver in ASC - so Tank driver?? Flers-Courcelette??

But his B.103 confirms his service with A Bn. Tank Corps as L/Cpl. at a time which could put him at Cambrai. Family story is that his tank was hit, caught fire and only he and one other escaped.

There are entries in the records for hospital spells, transferred to 24th OCB but relapsed eventually returning to Tank Corps possibly Sept 1918 but found himself in Seale Hayne Feb 1919.

I've just downloaded WO 95_92_3.pdf and WO 95_101_7.pdf so have plenty to read tonight!

Anyone able to help corroborate his story, or help with diary identifications?

Thanks

TEW

post-34209-0-25921200-1457008417_thumb.j

• 1 month later...

You have certainly found a very rare tank crewman although he could not have served at Flers-Courcelette

Ernest was one of the first tank crewmen - he served with 711 (MT) Company and was attached to A Company Heavy Section MGC, He was then transferred to A Battalion as it formed on 18 Nov 1916.

He had previously served in France as a driver, for four months (Jan - Apr 16) but was evacuated to England having caught flu

His service record is on Ancestry too

I would welcome a photo for my website http://www.firsttankcrews.com/acompany.htm