Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Benjamin Thompson, 1st July 1916

smiths565

I have been researching the men from Stannington, Sheffield, in the parish of Bradfield, who fell in the Great War 1914-20. I have now identified most of them - the result of this research can be found on my new website.

Stannington Roll Of Honour 1914-20

One name that I cannot identify is Benjamin Thompson, he is remembered on a grave stone in Stannington Christ Church, but I cannot find his military record.

can anybody help. His parents were William H. & Sarah Thompson. He didn't appear on the local war memorial, so he could be from outside the area.

he died on the first day of the Somme. Unfortuantely that is all I know.

Many Thanks

Robert.

The gravestone is in Stannington Christ Church and it reads .............

"May the beloved daughter of William H. and Mary E. Thompson. Who departed this life Jan 14th 1899 Aged 7 months. Also of Benjamin their beloved son who was killed in action in France, July 1st 1916, Aged 23 years. 'Greater love hath no man than this that he hath laid down his life for his friends'. Also of Mary Elizabeth the beloved wife of William H. who died July 30th (can't read the next bit), Aged 54.

The actual picture of the gravestone can be viewed on my website

on the 'Remembering today' page.

It might be, that Benjamin is a product of an earlier marriage. If I could find William & Mary's Marriage records, Mary's Maiden Name may hold the clue. Of course, he could have been adopted.

Many Thanks

Robert

Your first post says the parents are William and Sarah, your second says William & Mary. Can you clarify, please.

Steve

Robert

I've trawled through the sources available to me and I'm not having any luck. The nearest I can find is entry in Q2/1898 for the birth of May Thompson in Wortley (Volume 9c, Page 344) and also a death for May Thompson in Q1/1899 (Volume 9c, Page 175).

These dates would fit in with the details you supplied, but I'm not sure if these relate to the child referenced on the gravestone. If they are, then getting the certificates would give the parents name and address. Is Wortley anywhere near Stannington?

Steve

Yes Wortley is near Stannington, that certainly sounds like it could be the daughter, May, who died in January 1899.

The district of Wortley includes - Bradfield; Cawthorne; Ecclesfield; High Hoyland; Penistone; Wortley. So its definitely the right area.

Thanks for that Steve.

Alas no Benjamin news yet :(

Robert

I've found reference to a marriage which may be the parents.

In Q2/1895, William Henry Thompson married Mary Elizabeth Green in Wortley. Volume 9c, Page 431.

Steve

Name: THOMPSON, BERRY

Initials: B

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 03/07/1916

Service No: 22871

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Pier and Face 11 A and 11 D

Cemetery: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL

Does the above look like a possibility, might be worth checking, Could Berry be a nickname. Unusual

Dave Roberts

From the gravestone we can assume that Benjamin was born in 1893? and that his 'parents' were married in 1895.

There are no Benjamin Thompson's registered in that year for the district of Wortley but there is a Benjamin Green (his mother's maiden name) registered in that district in March 1893.

A quick check of the CWGC reveals there are three B. Green casualties for 1st July 1916.

Is it possible that he enlisted under his given name but is recorded on the gravestone under his assumed family name if you see what I mean.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Stop the clock !

the problem has been solved.

Steve Nulty identified Mary Elizabeth as a Green when she was married in 1895

Benjamin was born approx 1893, so his name is Benjamin Green.

I have already researched his name which appeared on the Stannington War Memorial. He is listed on my web site

Green, Benjamin York & Lancaster Regiment 8th Bn Private 21871 Lonsdale Cemetery, Authuile, Somme, France 01-Jul 1916 Born in Stannington, 1893, he was approx. 23 when he was killed in action on the first day of the Somme Enlisted in Sheffield. Benjamin was in the 23rd divisions attack on Ovillers. They attacked with the 8th KOYLI. They took the 1st German line & entered the 2nd, but were forced to withdraw. They suffered 635 Casualties.

Many thanks to everybody involved, your help, as always has been first class.

Special thanks to Steve Nulty for identifying Mary Elizabeth Green

I just need to identify his father now. Is it William H. Thompson or ????