Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Seaforth Highlanders (1/6 Battalion) - War Diaries

hendersondonald

I've attached the diaries for the 6th Seaforth Highlanders, for September 1917.  The Battalion was in the line for part of the month, but didn't take a direct part in the major action which took place on 20-21 September.  I haven't included any extracts from Brigade or Battalion diaries covering that action, since the 1/6th aren't mentioned, but the extract from the Bewsher book covers the events.  

I thought two things were noteworthy about the experience they had in September 1917 - one of which as remarked upon by the C/O.  First there was a marked increase in reports of aircraft bombing camps, trains and trenches.  Second, the impression I have, perhaps more from Brigade and Division, is that the number of prisoners who had deserted was greater.  Still a small number, but it seemed an increase. 

6th Seaforth Diaries September 1917.pdf

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/03/2017 at 21:46, hendersondonald said:

Not sure if anyone is reading these, but I have done the transcription so happy to post here to an audience of none!:

Well, I should have, but not until today.  My wife's family are from Moray. This is one of her Great Uncles:

Tough, Frank. No. 2789, Pte., 2/6th Seaforth Highlanders; born at Benrinnes Distillery, Banffshire, 11th Dec. 1895; residing in Morayshire since 1903; joined at Elgin, 28th April 1916; served in France;  died of wounds at Beaumont Hamel, 14th Nov. 1916.  Son of Alexander and Jane Tough, Benriach Cottages, Longmorn. Occupation, farm servant.

He was attd 1/6 when he died and is buried at Forceville, a prototype IWGC cemetery visited by the King in 1922 as described in a poem by R.Kipling and book of the same name, "The King's Pilgrimage" ..  https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/36075

Lt. George Eric Edwards from Lossiemouth, praised for his actions at Beaumont Hamel was later promoted Captain and is mention by Wilfred R. Bion in his book "War Memoirs 1917-1919  as he learnt his section of tanks, no.8 14th Coy "E" Bn, was to work with B coy 6th Seaforths on the attack at Flesquieres on 20th No. 1917.  Captain Edwards was killed that day.

2195589_46770518_DSCN2806JPG.jpg

Edited by Chris_B

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There is a lot this month.  Cambrai was the Seaforth's third big battle in 4 months.  I've uploaded my transcripts of the Battalion diaries and some excerpts from the Brigade and Divisional diaries.  In both cases these are a small proportion of the overall diaries.  It is well worth downloading the whole files, at very modest cost from the National Archives, even if only to get a sense of the material that has been preserved.  Unfortunately, the National Archive site is a bit of a disaster area and it's incredibly difficult to find the files, but as a starting point the link below is for the Brigade diaries for the month:

Cambrai wasn't an easy one for the 51st Division as a whole.  For the first time since the summer of 1916, it felt like they had failed, not in this case in absolute terms, but in relation to other Divisions around them.  Controversy rages on as to whether they met the stoutest German defence on the day, or whether Maj Gen Harper's tactics were efficient on the day.  The report of the battle, sent on to Brigade and division, is almost breathless in its delivery, or perhaps represents dictation from a tired and frustrated commanding officer.

6th Seaforth Highlanders – War Diaries for November 1917.pdf

152 Brigade Nov 1917 war diaries Excerpts.pdf

51st Div Nov 1917 War Diaries excerpts.pdf

• 2 months later...

Very late I know, but attached are my transcripts of the 6th Seaforth's War Diaries for December 1917.  It is difficult to say the Battalion was quiet, but in comparison to the months directly before, there was less hostile activity and fewer casualties.  As many of you will know, that broad position continues into the first month or two of 1918, but comes to a crashing halt during the course of March.   

6th Seaforth War Diary transcripts December 1917.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my first post - very interested in 6th Battalion Seaforths. 

I am a former member of 2nd 51st Highland Volunteers from Elgin and am planning a visit to the Somme this March to pay my respects to the Morayshire boys who fought and fell in and around Bapaume during the 'Kaiserslacht' during March 1918.

I'd love to see the February and March diary entries before I go.  Can you tell me where I can access the source material?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by Guest

Hi Malcy,

Welcome to the forum.

From the National Archives the Battalion, Brigade HQ, and Division HQ diaries are herehere, and here. On Ancestry they are herehere, and here - scroll forward for precise dates. The higher level diaries will likely augment and add to the info in the battalion diary.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2017 at 22:47, hendersondonald said:
A month in arrears, but I'm slowly catching up.  Here are the February transcripts for the 6th Seaforths, with a couple of pages also gleaned from the Brigade diaries.  They were in the line for some of the month but with only one man wounded and none killed.  Incredible given what they had faced, and would all soon face again.

6th Seaforths February 1918 diaries.pdf

Edited by hendersondonald
duplication of earlier post

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2016 at 22:02, hendersondonald said:

:5th - 15th September 

Situation normal.  Working parties supplied by day and night.  Patrols nightly opposite Railway Salient.  Raid had been for sometime practised on duplicates off the enemy trenches.

16th September

Attached herewith Report on most successful raid.

17th - 19th September 

Situation normal.  Working Parties supplied by day and night.  Total casualties for tour of the trenches - 9 O.R. killed, 27 O.R. Wounded and 1 O.R missing.

19th September - BAILLEUL

9a.m. Relieved by the 6th BLACK WATCH.

2.30 Left ARMENTIERES and marched to BAILLEUL CAMP - arrived in Camp at 5pm.

20th September

Training carried on.

21st September

Reinforcements 2nd/Lieuts McVicar, RT Smith and McLean.

28th September

Training carried out.  “The Battalion in the Attack” was practised. 

4.30pm The Corps Commander was pleased to decorate the after mentioned Officers and men:- 

2/Lieut D F Jenkins - Military Cross 

[Donald Fraser Jenkins. Burghead, killed Beaumont Hamel attack Nov 1916] 

2/Lieut J D Sainter - ditto

1742 Cpl J Hamilton DCM

2012 Lce Cpl G R Woods Military Medal

3656 Pte P C Goldsmith Ditto

1719 Lce Cpl J Mathieson Ditto

2266 Pte A Macdonald Ditto [lAlexander, from Sutherland, killed, April 1918]

2734 Pte A Innes at: T.M.B. Ditto

For bravery shown during Raid on German trenches on night of 16th September 1916

Regarding the attack on the German trenches 16th September, I found London Gazette sup, 30830 page 9244 (2nd Aug 1918) lists the MM for Alexander Macdonald.

His number listed on this and his MIC is 267254, any reason why this would differ from the number in the diaries?.

Thanks

Alasdair

Edited by AlasdairW
Typo

Alasdair 

as as I understand it, the original 4 figures enlistment numbers were converted to 6 figures during the course of the war ( I assume when the numbers enlisted started to overwhelm the old system). 

I think soldiers also got a new number if they transferred regiments, but that isn’t the case here. 

On 08/03/2018 at 23:16, AlasdairW said:

His number listed on this and his MIC is 267254, any reason why this would differ from the number in the diaries?.

6 minutes ago, hendersondonald said:

as as I understand it, the original 4 figures enlistment numbers were converted to 6 figures during the course of the war ( I assume when the numbers enlisted started to overwhelm the old system). 

I think soldiers also got a new number if they transferred regiments, but that isn’t the case here. 

In early 1917 men of the Territorial force were indeed renumbered with 6 digit numbers.

See LLT.

Cheers,

Derek.

100 years ago the German Spring Offensive began.  March's Battalion diaries fall in two distinct parts - a quiet first 3 weeks, albeit with increasing signs of German build up, and a frenzied - sometimes panicked - final 10 days.  The numbers of men lost, whether killed, wounded or missing, was enormous.  Some Battalions in the 51st lost the majority of their complement.  The 6th Seaforths had fewer missing, but more killed and wounded than any other Battalion.  It was the roughest month of the war for them, which is saying something given some of what they had already been through.

I will try to do an analysis of those who died, and how many of the missing were taken as prisoners or had become detached from the Battalion and rejoined them later.

6th seaforth war diary transcripts March 1918.pdf

Edited by hendersondonald

13 hours ago, hendersondonald said:

100 years ago the German Spring Offensive began.  March's Battalion diaries fall in two distinct parts - a quiet first 3 weeks, albeit with increasing signs of German build up, and a frenzied - sometimes panicked - final 10 days.  The numbers of men lost, whether killed, wounded or missing, was enormous.  Some Battalions in the 51st lost the majority of their complement.  The 6th Seaforths had fewer missing, but more killed and wounded than any other Batta.  It was the roughest month of the war for them, which is saying something given some of what they had already been through.

I will try to do an analysis of those who died, and how many of the missing were taken as prisoners or had become detached from the Battalion and rejoined them later.

6th seaforth war diary transcripts March 1918.pdf

Great work again on providing us with these.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Richard John Walker great niece. I'm trying to find out more about him i know he received victory an d star medals and was killed by a sniper june 2 1916. he was born in 1896 in forres Scotland. I'm trying to get his medals or copies. it says they were sent to his older sister, but the family does not have them.  any help would really be appreciated. 

DSCF9322.JPG

img024.jpg

Hi Rainne, you would have to contact the MOD about the medals.  I'm not sure they will issue or re-issue medals in the circumstances you describe, however one can but ask.  Have you looked yet to see what medals he was awarded - Wart Medal and Victory medal definitely, and very possibly the 1914-15 Star as well.  You can of course buy those medals, albeit awarded to another soldier, or buy unnamed modern facsimile, if the MOD won't re-issue.

In case you haven't seen what was in the Battalion diaries over the early days of June 1916.  Your great uncle seems not to have been the only victim of sniping on that tour to the front  :-

JUNE 1916

June 1 - VIMY RIDGE P sub sector

Battalion relieved 2nd Worcestershire and 10th Cheshire Regts in P sub sector, VIMY RIDGE after marching from MAROEUIL.  Relief took place during heavy hostile bombardment and there were several casualties.

June 2-5 - VIMY RIDGE P sub sector

In trenches.  24th R.F. (2nd Division) on our left, 5th Seaforth Highlanders on our right.  Hostile sniping very prevalent in front line, and a considerable number of casualties were caused by this and rifle grenades.  All four companies were in front line, in alphabetical order from right to left.  C&D companies of 8th A&SH were in support and supplied daily working parties.  CHAPLAIN McBAIN joined Battalion.

June 6-12 NEUVILLE SAINT VAAST

Relieved by 8th A&SH and battC&D Coys were under orders of 8th A&SH and A Coy under 6th Gordon Highlanders (O sub sector), and supplied daily working parties.  B Coy constructed part of the garrison of NEUVILLE.   

The 5th Seaforths diaries recorded: 

1st May, however, saw the end of our rest, and we took over a new sector in front of Neuville St. Vaast, relieving the South Lancs and Border Regiments, who had suffered severely here just previously. The preparations for the battle of the Somme had already begun, the Division we were relieving being withdrawn to refit and train, and our Division had to take over and hold a two-Division front.

What a change this entailed upon out kilted men. To prevent the Boche finding out that our Division had extended ifs front, the units of the 152nd Brigade had their kilts and Balmoral bonnets taken from them and had been fitted out with khaki trousers and field service caps, much to the disgust of the men, who, suspicious of some Sassenach plot to strip them for ever of the kilt, grumbled very much and protested to their officers.

• 1 month later...

Good work yet again ! thank-you

These diaries have been invaluable and a fascinating insight to what these chaps had to endure, really do appreciate the work put into this.

I recently retraced the steps of the 6th SH (152nd Bde) for the 31st of July, Starting at no Mans cot cemetery, Caledonia trench, through, English trees, Brittania farm, vanackert farm, over the steenbeck and onto their objective the German bunkers at " Mon Du Rasta " - Such a humbling yet rewarding day.

I am privileged to own a trio of medals to Pte Christie who took part in this offensive, his brother also took part & was in the same Battalion, sadly he wasn't so lucky to survive and has no known grave , he is remembered on the Menin Gate.

Here are a few pictures taken from the day, its hard to imagine what the ground and area looked like compared to what it does now.

1/ Looking toward no man cot cemetery, and the British front line.

2/ The site where English Trees was situated, from Mintys Farm Cemetery. 

3/ Looking back towards the direction of the starting point of July 31st, 152nd Bde 

4/ Mon Du Rasta bunker - the final objective, the steenbeck river just behind it. 

IMG_20180501_1143493.jpg

IMG_20180501_1324153.jpg

IMG_20180501_1431354.jpg

IMG_20180501_1431568.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the photos Brizzle.  

I've just finished the May 1918 diaries. That was the month that the tide began to turn, slowly to start with but gaining pace in the coming months, with sadly the casualty lists doing so as well.  

I've started the June diaries and will post them on the site when I've finished them.

6th Seaforths Diaries May 1918.pdf

• 1 month later...

I have attached the transcripts I have prepared of the 6th Seaforths war diaries for June and July 1918.  The second half of July saw a significant increase in action and the casualty lists likewise rocketed.  This might have been the beginning of the end of the war, but the Battalion would lose almost 200 more men between mid July and mid November.  

June 1918 Seaforth war diaries transcripts.pdf

July 1918 6th Seaforth war diary transcripts.pdf