Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

I know you said you had the AIF covered but just in case I unearthed the WATHERSTON brothers when doing a look up

Frank Patten Pte 1427 11th Bn AIF 4/7/15, aged 31. Buried East Mudros Military Cemetery I:G:116.

Cyril Anderson Driver 418 10th Bn AIF, aged 28, 26/5/16. Buried Rue-Du-Bois Military Cemetery I:E:26.

Edward Alexander Pte 856 10th Bn AIF between 23 & 25/7/16 aged, Commerated on the Villers-Bretonneux Memorial.

All from Port Lincoln, South Australia, the sons of James and Isabella WATHERSTON.

Kevin

Have you come across the Weingott brothers from Annandale in inner city Sydney? They're commemorated on the memorial nearest my work, which I pass virtually everyday. Two Jewish lads, (both tailors by trade) who died of wounds within a month of each other at Gallipoli.

I have their address from the AWM honour roll, and I'll drive past tomorrow and see if the house is still there (I expect it to be quite genrified by now).

Weingott, Alexander

Number: 695

Unit: 13th Bn Australian Inf

Date of Death: 02/05/1915

Cause of Death: Died of wounds

Memorial Panel: 71

Cemetery or Memorial Details: EGYPT 5 Chatby Jewish Cemetery

Weingott, Samuel

Number: 127

Unit: 1 Bn

Date of Death: 05/06/1915

Cause of Death: Died of wounds

Memorial Panel: 31

Cemetery or Memorial Details: 6. Lone Pine Memorial, Gallipoli

PM me if you want either pics of the memorial or their house.

cheers

Ian.

Kevin & Ian,

Very many thanks for your additions, unfortunately I did know of these, indeed there is a fourth Watherston brother - Pte. J 12th. AIF 19/22.8.16 - Courcelette BC & a cousin, Pte. S A, 50th. AIF. It's incomprehensible, isn't it?

Bob, My research shows three brothers - they are listed on my web site.

Stannington Roll Of Honour

Sons of Walter & Mary A. Vickers, Fairbarn Road, Stannington, Sheffield.

Vickers, Arnold. Leicestershire Regiment 7th Bn Private 41981 Aged 19 Soissons, Aisne, France 27-May 1918

Vickers, Ernest. Durham Light Infantry 13th Bn Private 245254 Aged 20 Ypres, Menin Gate, Belgium 10-Jul 1917

Vickers, Herbert. Royal Army Medical Corps 33rd Coy Private 32889 Aged 29 Cairo, Egypt 27-Nov 1918

I don't know if Herbert was at Gallipoli - if anybody does - I'd be very interested.

There are more details on the web site.

Cheers

Robert.

Bob, My research also lists two brothers - they are listed on my web site.

Stannington Roll Of Honour

Sons of Alfred & Laura Alice Grayson, Clod Hall, Stannington.

Grayson, Ewart West Yorkshire Regiment "B" Coy. 9th Bn Private 11977. Aged 24. Hill 10, Sulva Bay, Gallipoli, Turkey

Grayson, Ernest. York & Lancaster Regiment 2nd/4th Bn Private 202748. Aged 33. Marfaux, Marne, France 20-Jul 1918

There are more details on the web site.

Cheers

Robert.

Robert,

Great, both are new to me, thank-you. I'll have to put Vickers on hold, though, until we can be sure he was at Gallipoli,

Thank-you.

Hi Bob

Have scanned a copy of a photo of the Kelly Brothers that I mentioned previously. Tried to post it here but the format must have been too large. Will e-mail it instead.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

That's great, my e-mail address should be with you soon. I'd very much appreciate any other photos of Brothers, please?

These 2 brothers from Newry are both mentioned in the book Newry War Dead. If you are interested I can look up the details contained in it. I am looking for a photo of their memorial incl. inscriptions. If you are ever in the area.

Casualty Details

Name: MALLAGHAN, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 25/04/1915

Service No: 10732

Additional information: Son of John and Annie Mallaghan, of 48, Stream St., Newry, Co. Down.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Special Memorial B. 46.

Cemetery: V BEACH CEMETERY

Casualty Details

Name: MALLAGHAN, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 30/04/1915

Service No: 10741

Additional information: Son of John and Annie Mallaghan, of 48, Stream St., Newry, Co. Down.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Special Memorial B. 45.

Cemetery: V BEACH CEMETERY

greetings

Liam

Just wondering how many sets of brothers you have that are buried on or are only remembered on Gallipoli. What is the maxium number of brothers killed due to action on Gallipoli. I mean 2, 3, 4 brothers?

Liam

Liam,

To date I have found :-

157 all buried/commemorated on Gallipoli

567 with at least one buried/commemorated on Gallipoli (This includes those who received their wounds ON Gallipoli, but died elsewhere)

Maximum is sets of 4, quite a few 3's. Can look up in detail if required.

No need to bother about details on my behalf. I am just one of thoses people that are interested in figures and was interested in a rough percentage. I make it about 25% have 2 brothers buried or remembered. That is/was a lot of hardship for a family caused in a small place, far, far away.

Liam

Liam,

You're so right, the numbers quite surprised me, but I assume are no different to the war as a whole. How, as a parent, could you cope with multiple tragedy?

Hi Bob,

I think it be very hard to cope.

Here is another set of brothers from Ireland.

HAYES, James (Jim) :- Private (Service Number 27599), 10th Battalion, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. He served in France, and died on Sunday, 2 July 1916, aged 36 years, of wounds received during the Battle of the Somme. Before the War he was employed as a plasterer. His parents, Mr. Robert and Mrs. Sarah Hayes, lived at the Cottages, Burnside, Portstewart; he was their second son.

He is commemorated on Portstewart's War Memorial, Portstewart Presbyterian Church's War Memorial, the Roll of Honour of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland & Ireland's Memorial Record & by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. He was buried in Puchevillers British Cemetery (France), Plot 1, Row B, Grave 15.

Some References: Coleraine Chronicle of 26-08-1916 & 15-11-1924 (Unveiling War Memorial); Northern Constitution of 11-12-1915, 08-07-1916, 29-07-1916, 23-11-1918 & 22-05-1920 (Unveiling Presbyterian Church's Memorial & Roll of Honour).

HAYES, Thomas (Tom) :- Private/Drummer (Service Number 12870), 6th Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers; he had served previously with the Royal Irish Rifles (Service Number 11839). Thomas volunteered for active service in August 1914; before enlisting he was a member of the Portstewart Company, Coleraine Battalion, North Derry Regiment, Ulster Volunteer Force. He served on the Gallipoli Peninsula, Turkey, and was killed in action, aged 30 years, on Monday, 16 August 1915 at Suvla Bay. Before the War he was employed as a tailor. His parents, Mr. Robert and Mrs. Sarah Hayes, lived at the Cottages, Burnside, Portstewart.

He is commemorated on Portstewart's War Memorial, Portstewart Presbyterian Church's War Memorial, the Roll of Honour of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland & Ireland's Memorial Record & by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. He has no known grave but his name was engraved on the Helles Memorial (Turkey), Panel 178 to 180.

Some References: Coleraine Chronicle of 10-10-1914, 13-11-1915, 08-01-1916, 26-08-1916 & 15-11-1924 (Unveiling War Memorial); Northern Constitution of 05-09-1914, 11-12-1915, 08-07-1916, 29-07-1916, 23-11-1918 & 22-05-1920 (Unveiling Presbyterian Church's Memorial & Roll of Honour).

borrowed from click here

Liam

Liam,

Thank you, most interesting. PLease let me know of any others you find - most grateful.

Hi bob

Here are two brothers that are from my own home village of Rankinston in East Ayrshire, Scotland. On the memorial there are 3 sets of brothers and another family who lost 4 brothers. These two men have been researched by me and if you need any other details email me.

CLEMENT, DAVID PURDIE

Private 1579

14th Battalion

Australian Infantry, A.I.F

Enlisted 20th October 1914.

Who died on Wednesday, 19th May 1915. Age 22.

Additional Information

Son of James and Jane Clement, of Ailsa View, Hollybush, Ayrshire, Scotland. Native of Ochiltree, Ayrshire.

Commemorative Information

Cemetery: SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY, Turkey

Grave Reference/Panel Number: IV. A. 2.

Born in Ochiltree, Ayrshire, Scotland.

David died at Courtney's Post in the first initial attack to retake the trenches that the Turkish forces had captured. Later on that night Lance Corporal Albert Jacka VC went on to win his award when the Australians retook their positions.

Clement, James

Private 4005

9th (Glasgow Highland) Battalion, (Territorial)

Highland Light Infantry

Killed in Action on Saturday, 15th July 1916, France and Flanders, Age 22.

Son of James and Jane Clement, of Ailsa View, Hollybush, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Formerly Royal Scots Fusiliers 43898

Commemorative Information

Memorial: THIEPVAL MEMORIAL, Somme, France

Grave Reference/Panel Number: Pier and Face 15 C

Born in Ochiltree, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Enlisted in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland.

Resided at Hollybush, Ayrshire, Scotland.

I have a picture of James, but im afraid i have not yet managed to gat a picture of David.

Regards

James Brown

James,

Thank you, brilliant.

I would very much like a photo of James & I'd be very interested in the 4 brothers' killed names, please.

Bob

Sent an email through the forum about the Sloan Brothers.

To send the picture of James Clement I will email you off Forum.

Regards

James Brown

Bob

Did you get the photo?

Let me know if it's ok. If not i will go back to source and get another.

Regards

James Brown

Bob

One I overlooked;

Cpl Percy Mofflin - 10th Light Horse KIA 16/06/15 - Ari Burnu Cemetery

Born Auckland NZ & lived Mary St North Fremantle - Drover Age 35

Sgt Edward Walter Mofflin - 51st Battalion - Died of Wounds 07/07/16 - Estaires Communal Cemetery France

Born Adelaide South Australia & Lived Thompson Rd North Fremantle.

Regards

Andrew

James,

Photo arrived safely, many thanks &

Andrew, Thank-you again, but I knew of the Mofflins

Bob

Can anyone identify the missing brothers, please?

Joyce Pte. J W 1/4th. Royal Sussex 29.8.15 – Green Hill Cem Sp. Mem D2 (Believed to have a brother killed in France and Flanders).

Morgan 2Lt. W B, 6th. South Lancs 9.8.15 - Helles Mem 139-140 (believed to have a brother killed in France).

Bob

Joyce Pte. J W 1/4th. Royal Sussex 29.8.15

SDGW

John William Joyce

Born North Ockenden, Essex

Enlisted Horshem

Number TF 1918

KIA Gallipoli

There are 3 other JOYCE on SDGW

The other 2 are BEF and Royal Sussex

Robert William Joyce

13th Btn Royal Sussex

KIA 26/9/1917 F&F

Born. Bow, Middx

Enlisted New Court, Middx

Stanley Charles Joyce

11th Btn Royal Sussex

Died 27/3/1917 F&F

Born. Mile End, Middx

Enlisted. London

James

James,

Thank-you, but the problem is linking Stanley & Robert who are probably brothers (born similar areas), with J who isn't!

• 2 months later...

Hi Bob

Came across these brothers today (quite by accident) - and wondered if you had them listed yet.

Parents: William & Martha BROWN of Glen Vale, Broadford, Victoria, Aust

BROWN, Ernest - Pte 1518, enlisted 17/11/14, 8th Bn AIF - DOW 26/7/15 (received during bombardment that same day), age 22 - buried Beach Cemetery Anzac.

BROWN, William - Pte 498, enlisted 25/2/15, 23rd Bn C Coy AIF - KIA 4/8/16 at Pozieres, age 25 - Comm: Villers-Bretonneux Mem, France

[from 'Forward Undeterred' - During the July attacks at Pozieres - "Private William Brown acted as an observer for C Company, and on spotting an enemy observation post containing three Germans, Brown did not pass back the information, but instead, rushed at the enemy post, killing two with grenades and bayoneting the third man. He later assisted in bringing in the wounded, but was himself killed in the next phase of the battle a week later;"]

A third brother returned to Australia 9/3/19:

BROWN, Frank - 502, enlisted 17/11/14, 23rd Bn C Coy AIF - Awarded Military Medal - as a runner & guide throughout the Pozieres operations on the 26/8/16.

Cheers, Frev.