Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

Steve,

Many thanks, I'd tried various versions of Hills but to no avail, the addition of that one letter makes all the difference.

Isn't strange (frustrating) that Hillis is a perfect example of CWGC having age/parental information for Stanley, but nothing for Joseph (not even his full Christian name)!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Martin Hodson

Hi,

Not sure if these quite fit your criteria, but they almost do:

My two great-uncles, John (known as Jack) and Albert Butler both appear on the war memorial in Ombersley, Worcestershire.

Albert enlisted in the 9th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment in 1914. Albert served in Gallipoli. The conditions were terrible in the winter of 1915/16, Albert became ill, and was taken back to Malta on a hospital ship. Corporal Albert Edwin(?) Butler 17276 died in Malta 12/12/1915 from para typhoid and was buried in Pieta cemetery, aged 18. Yes, it really does seem to be the case that he had somehow been promoted to Corporal in a very short time, and was not much over 18 when he died! The War Graves Commission has Edward, while Regiment records have Edwin. Now pretty sure the regiment was wrong as I have seen his baptismal record and death cert and both have Edward. We visited Albert’s grave in Malta two years ago.

Serjeant John Butler 202685 was in 1/8th Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment. he seemed to be invalided home twice, once as a Private in 1915, and later in 1918 as a Serjeant. He caught TB in the trenches in France, was invalided out, and subsequently died on 30th Sept. 1920. He was single. John was buried on 4th Oct. 1920 in St. Andrews Church, Ombersley. As it was considered that he died because of an illness contracted in the war, he was granted a military headstone, which still stands in Ombersley churchyard. He was living in Oldfield, Ombersley prior to his death, and J. Webster took the funeral. Sadly, his sister, Jane, who nursed him, caught the disease, and died the following year when pregnant with her first child.

So one died as a result of service in Gallipoli, and is buried in Malta, and the other died after the war, but had a war grave. Do they count??

Martin

Martin,

Yes, they do, thank-you. What a tragic story, particularly with the sister, too,

Much obliged & thank you for sharing it with us,

Bob

• 3 weeks later...

As well unsure if you are still looking for information on this or if this fits your request but here goes.

Pte. Fredrick Charles Somerton Rgt. No. 1342 1888- 1915 of the Newfoundland Regiment was the oldest of four brothers from Trinity Newfoundland who served in the Regiment. He enlisted on 10 April 1915 and died of wounds recived at Gallipoli 25 November 1915. He was buried at sea from the HMS Guilford, though I haven't been able to find out why as of yet. His brothers were

Sgt Francis Herbert Somerton Rgt. No. 1256 enlisted 20 Feb. 1915 Discharged 15 June 1919

Pte. Edward F. Somerton Rgt. No. 3526 enlisted 9 Mar 1917

Cpl. Austin Somerton Regt. No. 2428 enlisted 5 April 1916

this information and further information on the brothers and some doccuments belonging to them can be found at

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/pm.php?id=stor...6&sl=1632&pos=1

Guest gumbirsingpun

my relatives,

ANTROBUS, CHARLES ALEXANDER Captain 25/04/1915 35 King's Own Scottish Borderers United Kingdom XI. A. 8. TWELVE TREE COPSE CEMETERY at gallipoli

ANTROBUS, CECIL HUGH Captain 26/09/1915 38 Cameron Highlanders United Kingdom Panel 119 to 124. LOOS

tuna

Hello Bob

The brother of John William Joyce described in Posts 47 and 48 is 15945 Lance-Corporal Thomas George Joyce of 1st Coldstream Guards, who was killed on the Western Front on 11 May 1916.

He was a police constable with Southend Borough Constabulary. Thomas and John were the sons of Walter Arthur Joyce and his wife Eliza. Their brother Ernest (Gloucs. Regt) was wounded in March 1918.

Aplogies for tardy response but have just returned from France. Give me a day or two to get organised, please, & I will respond in more detail,

Regards,

Bob

Thank you for the last pieces of information.

1. The Massons are new to me, thank-you.

2. I knew of John Joyce but his brother had eluded me till now, thank you.

3. The Antrobus brothers were on my list already, a high-profile tragedy, I feel.

4. The Somertons cannot be included as only one died. I say 'only,' but their sacrifice is none the less, of course.

My thanks to you all. Please keep them coming!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob

It's been a while since I've bothered you - have found two more brothers you probably already have - but as usual will pass them on just incase!!

They are the FISHER BROTHERS:

John FISHER (born Manchester, Eng) married Annie Theresa WHELAN in 1876 in Victoria, Australia. They had 8 sons who fought in WW1, and 2 paid the ultimate sacrifice. [John died pre 1914, Annie died in 1928]

FISHER, John Martin born 6/8/1891 Bunyip, Vic (reg. Longwarry)

Carpenter, Single, Roman Catholic - attended St Mary’s Star of the Sea School, W Melb.

L/Cpl 439, 7th Battalion, A Coy, AIF, Enl. 17/8/14 – DOW 9/8/15 on board HS Gascon at Imbros, buried at sea (wounded at Lone Pine whilst holding Jacob’s Trench against a bomb attack – along with his brother Walter who was invalided home)

[AWM have John’s portrait photo]

FISHER James Joseph born 14/4/1883 Sth Melb, Vic (reg. Emerald) – d.28/6/19 Caulfield Hosp, Vic (Malaria / Influenza), bur. Footscray Cemetery, Vic

Sheet Metal Worker

Married to Annie Bertha (who later remarried STEERS)

They had six Children: Gerard James, Leo George, Henry Lawrence, Mary Edna, Marjorie Kathleen, Annie Monica Eugene.

Pte 541 & 1621, 23rd Bn, C Coy, AIF, Enl. 1/3/15 – wounded Gallipoli 5/11/15 (bomb wound left hand) – to Hospital Malta & England, then invalided back to Australia – discharged to Home Service, until re-enlisted 1918 with the AN&MEF – sent to Rabaul, where he contracted Malaria – returning to Aust, where he died.

Their 6 other brothers were:

1. 2/Lieut Walter FISHER, 7th Bn, AIF, 25/9/14 – 20/3/16 [1877-1938]

2. CQMS Edward FISHER, 6765, 21st Bn / 24th Bn, AIF, 16/2/17 – 24/7/19

(also served Boer War) [1879-1933]

3. Lieut Terence Rufus FISHER, 3rd Pioneers, AIF, 5/4/16 – 12/6/19 [1885-1976]

4. Staff Sgt George Leo FISHER, 63, 3rd Pioneers / AAOC, AIF, 14/7/15 –12/6/19

(also served WW2) [1893-1979]

5. Dvr Eli Joseph FISHER, 12, 3rd Pioneers, AIF, 19/7/16 – 12/6/19 [1896-1980]

6. Pte Cecil FISHER, 2742A, (MM), 58th Bn / 3rd Pioneers / 3rd MG Bn, AIF, 26/3/16 – 18/12/18 [1898-1964]

[This puts them on par with the 8 Handcock brothers (2 died) listed last year]

Cheers, Frev

Guest KevinEndon

Taken from 'Roll of Honour@ the story of the hundreds of Leek Men who fell in the first world war written by C W Sheldon.

"What she could not have known, hewever, was that her family would soon lose not one son, or even two, but three in the war. Before August was through both William Smith and Thomas Smith had been killed and only ten months later, Sam Smith was dead."

The first of the brothers was killed on 8th Aug 1915 two days after landing as Sulvla Bay.

PRIVATE 27114 SMITH WILLIAM ROYAL WELSH FUSILIERS 8th Bn. 08/08/1915 Panel 140 to 144. HELLES MEMORIAL TURKEY UNSPECIFIED

PRIVATE 13584 SMITH THOMAS EAST LANCASHIRE REGIMENT 2nd Bn. 22/08/1915 III. T. 5. MERVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY FRANCE NORD

PRIVATE 4438 SMITH SAMUEL ROYAL ARMY MEDICAL CORPS NO INFO 29/06/1916 Face F. KIRKEE 1914-1918 MEMORIAL INDIA UNSPECIFIED

Frev & Private Parts,

Very many thanks, both were unknown to me & yet again illustrate the tragedy of war.

Incidentally, may I point out that W Smith should be 8th. Welch Regt rather than RWF?

Regards,

Bob

Not sure if you have the Auchterlonie brothers, AIF?

Lieutenant Cecil Arthur Auchterlonie MC & Bar, 25th Battalion, KIA , Villers-Brettoneux 10th Aug 1918.

1702 Sergeant Bertrand Innes Auchterlonie, 15th Battalion, KIA 8 Aug 1915, Chanuk Bair, Anzac.

Lt Archibald Vivian Auchterlonie, 25th Battalion, KIA 20 Oct 1915, the Apex, Anzac

They were the only boys in the family; all served in the AIF, all died.

Bob,

Many thanks, I am aware of them but I'm most grateful for your posting. Their tragic story is always worth reminding of,

Bob

• 3 months later...

Bob,

Private Thomas Austin Toohey, 1st Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers killed at V Beach 25 April 1915. Aged 21, he was the son of Emily Rankin (formerly Toohey) 15 Findlater Place, Dublin and the late ThomasToohey. Buried in V Beach Cemetery.

His brother Joseph Henry Toohey was killed in the German offensive on 21 March 1918 while serving with 2nd Bn. Royal Dublin Fusiliers. Commemorated Pozieres Memorial.

(Sources: The men's nephew and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission).

Regards,

Philip

I posted this on the wrong thread the other day:

I was at the library and was flicking through a book entitled Echoes of Gallipoli: In the words of New Zealand's Mounted Riflemen by Terry Kinloch. In the section about Chunuk Bair (August 8th, 1915) it says:

Two brothers from Taranaki, Michael and Richard Murphy, were among those killed that day

Cross-referencing the Nominal Roll and the CWGC

I get:

Name: MURPHY, MICHAEL

Initials: M

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment/Service: Wellington Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Service No: 11/419

Additional information: Son of Patrick and E. Murphy, of Mere Mere, Taranaki.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 5.

Memorial: CHUNUK BAIR (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL

Name: MURPHY, RICHARD

Initials: R

Regiment/Service: Wellington Mounted Rifles, N.Z.E.F.

Date of Death: 09/08/1915

Service No: 11/506

Additional information: Son of Patrick and E. Murphy, of Mere Mere, Taranaki.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 5.

Memorial: CHUNUK BAIR (NEW ZEALAND) MEMORIAL

There was also another brother killed a couple of years later (New Plymouth is in Taranaki, so it fits)

Name: MURPHY, PATRICK

Initials: P

Regiment/Service: New Zealand Rifle Brigade

Unit Text: 3rd

Date of Death: 05/11/1917

Service No: 54557

Additional information: Son of Patrick and E. Murphy, of Mere Mere, Hawera, New Plymouth, New Zealand.

Grave/Memorial Reference: 4. A. 1.

Cemetery: CANNOCK CHASE WAR CEMETERY

I'm not sure about this one from the nominal roll as it only lists 'P Murphy' as the next of kin. But both Richard's and Patrick's nominal roll entries only list their mother, yet we know for certain it's the right people:

John MURPHY

Regimental number 9/951

Address 52 Main South Rd Caversham Dunedin

Marital status Single

Next of kin Father, P Murphy, Meremere Hawera

Rank on enlistment Sergeant

Other details from Roll of Honour Circular Nominal Roll Vol. 1

Miscellaneous details Otago Mounted Rifles/Fourth

In the same book mentioned previously, it also says:

Trooper John McKinnon may have passed the body of his brother Ken, an Auckland Infantryman who had been killed earlier in the day. If he did, he cannot have mourned for long, for he was killed the same day.

I've not found any siblings on the nominal roll or CWGC for the McKinnons.

Surname: McKinnon

Forenames: John

Rank Last Held: Trooper

Serial No.: 13/1042A

War: World War I (WWI), 1914-1918

Date of Death: 8 August 1915

Year of Death: 1915

Place of Death: Gallipoli

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Unit Last: Auckland Mounted Rifles

Surname: McKinnon

Forenames: Kenneth

Rank Last Held: Private

Serial No.: 12/2417

War: World War I (WWI), 1914-1918

Date of Death: 8 August 1915

Year of Death: 1915

Place of Death: Gallipoli

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Allie

• 3 weeks later...

Philip & Allie,

Very sorry I haven't replied, but have only just returned from France, but it all looks good stuff and I'm most grateful,

Bob

Hello to everyone out there who has been following this thread.

I have been researching my Diplock ancestors from Eastbourne in Sussex, my great grandmother was a Diplock. I found out during my research that she lost 4 of her nephews during the Great War, 3 of whom were brothers.

Name: Diplock, William Charles

Serial No: 3/202

Unit: Howe Bn, RND

Date of Death: 4/6/1915

Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Gallipoli

Name: Diplock, Harold

Serial No: SD/51

Unit: 11th Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment

Date of Death: 21/4/1916

Buried at the Guards Cemetery, Windy Corner, Cuinchy

Name: Diplock Stanley

Serial No; L/43514

Unit: No. 3C Reserve Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

Date of Death: 25/3/1919

Buried at Ocklynge Cemetery, Eastbourne.

All 3 were sons of Harry and Caroline Diplock, 38 The Village, Meads, Eastbourne, East Sussex.

Hope this is some help and that I am not duplicating other information anywhere else and that this is in the right place! First time I have posted here you see!

Take care

Michelle

These brothers are remembered on our Levin (NZ) Cenotaph, one of which was KIA at Gallipoli. John (Jack) served with the N.Z.E.F. and James served with the A.I.F.

Name: COPPIN, JOHN

Initials: J

Regiment/Service: Otago Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

Date of Death: 16/06/1915

Service No: 8/1440

Additional information: Son of James and Grace Coppin, of Dunedin, New Zealand.

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 11.

Cemetery: SHRAPNEL VALLEY CEMETERY

Name: COPPIN, JAMES HERDMAN

Initials: J H

Nationality: Australian

Regiment/Service: Australian Infantry, A.I.F.

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 23/08/1918

Service No: 1408

Awards: MM

Additional information: Son of James and Grace Coppin, of 5, Parkhill Avenue, Mornington, Dunedin, New Zealand. Native of Geraldine, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. A. 17.

Cemetery: DAOURS COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

Michelle & Kooky,

Very many thanks to you both, the Diplocks were new to me. It shows the disparity between the quality and accessibility of the records of both Australia & New Zealand, compared with those of the UK, in that I have discovered most (not all!) of the former countries' sets of brothers, but the UK's are more often than not new to me,

Bob

Bob,

Are these brothers new to you?

Name: SIEGENBERG, EMMANUEL MORRIS

Initials: E M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Worcestershire Regiment

Unit Text: "H" Coy. 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 28/04/1915

Service No: 9456

Additional Information: Son of the late Henry and Kate Siegenberg. His brother John also fell.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 104 to 113.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: SIEGENBERG, LOUIS LIONEL JOHN

Initials: L L J

Regiment/Service: East Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 6th Bn.

Date of Death: 24/09/1915

Service No: 10472

Additional information: Son of Kate Siegenberg, of 72, Napier St., Shepherdess Walk, Hoxton, London, and the late Henry Siegenberg.

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. C. 7.

Cemetery: HILL 10 CEMETERY

....And another pair....

Name: NANNEY, WILLIAM REES

Initials: W R

Regiment: Royal Welsh Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st/6th Bn.

Date of Death: 20/08/1915

Service No: 1488

Additional Information: Long Service and Good Conduct Medal. Son of the late Rees and Ellen Nanney; husband of Sarah Catherine Nanney, of 14, Flora Avenue, Carlton St., Hessle Rd., Hull. His brother also fell.

Casuality Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 77 to 80.

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

Name: NANNEY, JOHN HALFORD

Initials: J H

Regiment/Service: South Wales Borderers

Unit Text: 11th Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1917

Service No: 36513

Additional information: Son of Sarah C. Nanney, of 14, Glora Avenue, Carlton St., Hessle Rd., Hull, and the late Mr. W. R. Nanney.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 22.

Memorial: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

I have two who you may already know about

Both 9th (service) Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

12452 Corporal Albert COTTRELL, born Dublin, enlisted Derby. aged 20 years

12454 L/Sgt Henry (Harry) COTTRELL, born Devonport, enlisted Derby, aged 24 years

Both name don the Helles Memorial - Killed 9 August 1915 near Suvla Bay.

Their Dad was a regular hence the birthplaces. The 1st battalion Sherwoods was in Dublin 1894 and devonport 1890.

The medal rolls do not show 12453 as being in the 9th battalion but it could be another brother.

Surely John Halford Nanney, aged 20 was the SON of William Rees Nanney, aged 46, rather than his brother.

Regards,

Martin

Ooooooops sorry.....

must be a brother somewhere.

must be a brother somewhere.

Very uncommon name. There is a possible brother, Richard who is 2 years older than William Rees and a MIC to that name but no sign of him being a casualty. It may be a data entry error and perhaps William's entry should read his son also fell. Can't see a brother being mentioned and not the son, if both fell. Bob, are you collecting Father and son?