Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli brothers

bobpike

I am undertaking a project for 'The Gallipoli Association,' listing brothers who were killed in the Great War, at least one of whom either died on Gallipoli or as a result of wounds received there & is buried elsewhere - Malta, Egypt etc.

I am particularly keen for confirmed suggestions in the British Army, Newfoundland Regt, even French Army, as with the excellent AWM records I think I have fairly well researched Australian candidates (as well as NZ) ones.

Surprisingly, perhaps, the total at present is 707 sets of brothers!

Hi Bob,

I have some details that I think you may be looking for. These are taken from my book; Theirs Is The Glory - The Story Of The Stevenage War Memorial.

David AUSTIN 34506 Sapper 136th Army Troop Company. Royal Engineers

Died Of Wounds on the 4th January 1916 aged 22

David had been employed in the family business of Austin & Son, Builders & Carpenters, for seven years before joining the army. He was a popular member of the Holy Trinity church choir. He arrived on the Gallipolli front on the 24th November 1915 and only served on the peninsula for a number of weeks. It is not known how he was wounded but he died on the Hospital Ship, "Assaye". David was later buried at sea and has no known grave and his name is recorded on the Helles Memorial, Turkey. (Panel 23/25.) Medal Entitlement: 1914/15 Star, British War Medal & Victory Medal

Thomas Stephen AUSTIN GS/75261 Private 9th Battalion. Royal Fusiliers

Killed In Action on the 8th September 1918 aged 19

A second son, he lived at 10 Alleynes Road, Stevenage and before joining the Army was employed in the family business of Austin & Son, Builders & Carpenters. Thomas received a wound to his legs on the 21st March 1918 and was evacuated to Warrington Hospital. After recovering from his wounds he returned to his unit in time for it to take part in the attack on Epehy. The dawn assault on the enemy trenches was made in the pouring rain and Thomas was killed by machine gun fire after assisting in the taking of the last trench.

Thomas is buried in the Epehy Wood Farm British Cemetery.

I have photos of both men.

Hope you find this of use. Please let me know if you find out anything more about the death of Sapper Austin. I would be interested to know.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Paul,

Excellent, thank you, they're new ones to me. I would very much like a copy of D Austin's photo, please.

Also if you haven't a picture of his name on Helles, I'll get it for you next May,

Kind Regards,

Bob Pike

In memory of Captain Clayton Ratsey and Captain Donald White Ratsey, both killed on the 12th August 1915, 8th Hants (Isle of Wight Rifles) in Gallipoli; sons of Thomas and Lucy Ratsey of "Granville", Cowes, Isle of Wight. Both are commemorated on the Helles Memorial.

The Ratsey family were, for hundreds of years, the premier sail makers of England.

The youngest of the three brothers, Lieutenant Stephen Ratsey, of the same regiment, was killed on 19th April 1917 at Gaza, Palestine.

Name: RATSEY, STEPHEN GILBERT

Initials: S G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Unit Text: 8th Bn.

Date of Death: 19/04/1917

Additional information: Son of Thomas White Ratsey and Lucy Margaret Ratsey, of "Granville," Cowes, Isle of Wight.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXI. E. II.

Cemetery: GAZA WAR CEMETERY

Bob,

A browse through the 'Brothers Died in the Great War' section of the mother site,

available here

may reveal more, but the following relates to two brothers of the 5 Bn Dorsetshire Regt killed on the same day on Gallipoli.

21 August 1915

Bertram, 30, and Cyril Legge, 21, both serving with 5th (Service) Battalion, the Dorsetshire Regiment on Gallipoli. Son of Charles and Mary J. Legge, of Chilfrome, Maiden Newton, Dorchester, neither of the brothers has a known grave. Both are commemorated on the Helles Memorial to the Missing.

Regards

Steve

Steve & Racing Teapots

Thank you to you both, but I have the Ratseys, having trawled all the Gallipoli registers for the obvious ones & I've visited the excellent Brothers' Died on this site, but your help is much appreciated,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Here are details on the Henderson-Hamilton brothers. I have several photographs of J.C. I've added some additional information from the Glenalmond Register.

Hope this helps,

Derek

Name: HENDERSON-HAMILTON

Initials: J C

Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

Unit Text: 9th Bn.

Date of Death: 27/09/1915

Grave/Memorial Reference: I. G. 8.

Cemetery: DUD CORNER CEMETERY, LOOS

TRINITY TERM, 1893.

HENDERSON-HAMILTON, JAMES CAMPBELL, b. 26 Jan. 1884; s. of Rev. C. G. Henderson-Hamilton (q.v.). VIII. Left Mids. 1901. Glasg. Univ.; advocate, Edin. 1907; left the Bar to become a C.A.; 2nd Lt. 9th Royal Scots; Great War; 2nd Lt. 9th Black Watch 1914; Lt. 1915; 1914 – 15 Star; Chr. 241; k. in action in France 25 Sept. 1915. The Glenalmond Register 1847 – 1929 (Edinburgh, 1929), 125

HENDERSON-HAMILTON, CHARLES CAMPBELL

Initials: C C

Regiment: Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Secondary Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers

Secondary Unit Text: attd. 1st Bn

Date of Death: 21/08/1915

Additional information: Son of the Rev. Charles Greenhill Henderson-Hamilton and Mary Campbell Hamilton, of Dalserf, Lanarkshire; husband of the late Ann Louisa Hardin Henderson Hamilton.

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 92 to 97 or 84 -92

Cemetery: HELLES MEMORIAL

TRINITY TERM, 1892.

HENDERSON-HAMILTON, CHARLES CAMPBELL, b. 17 Feb. 1882; s. of Rev. C. G. Henderson-Hamilton (q.v.). Prefect. Left Mids. 1901. Trin. Coll. Oxon.; B.A.; won the mile at Oxford and Cambridge Sports 1904, and 1905 in 4 mins. 17 1/5 secs., the record for these Sports; 2nd Lt. Lanarkshire Yeo. 1904; retd. 1906; Great War; Capt. 12th Scottsh Rifles; 1914 – 15 Star; Chr. 240; k. in action in Gallipoli 21 Aug. 1915. The Glenalmond Register 1847 – 1929 (Edinburgh, 1929), 120.

Bob,

I've a couple of plaques to the Rothery brothers from Halifax. There details are:-

Cyril Rothery

8th Bn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment).

Died of wounds 16/10/15.

Buried East Mudros Military Cemetery, Lemnos.

Samuel Rothery

13th Bn. East Lancashire Regiment.

Killed in action 28/08/18.

Remembered on the Ploegsteert Memorial.

They were the sons of Frederick & Sarah Ann Rothery, of 34, Moorfield Street, Halifax.

Hopefully the information may be of interest.

Regards,

Spud

Capt. Howard Field MID

4th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment

Killed at Gallipoli, August 6, 1915

Lieut. Cyril Decimus Field

4th Bn. Worcestershire Regiment

Killed at Gallipoli, June 4, 1915

I have memorial cards for:

Pvt Alexander Fairnie, 1/7 Royal Scots "Beloved son of Alexander and Jane Fairnie, 59 New Street, Musselburgh. Who was killed in action at the Dardanelles on Monday, 12th July 1915 aged 18 years."

Sgt Andrew Fairnie, 2/7 Royal Scots "Eldest beloved son of Alexander and Jane Fairnie, 59 New Street, Musselburgh. Who was killed in action in France on 9th April 1917."

Chris

Hi Bob

In my research of Fremantle people killed in the war there are two sets of brothers killed at Gallipoli which you might already have. Frank & Fred Adcock, both 11th Battalion of Solomon St Fremantle both died on April 25th 1915.

There were 6 Wheeler brothers who served at Gallipoli, but Harold & Herbert Wheeler, both 16th Battalion were killed on 08/08/15.

The 4 other Wheeler brothers survived service at Gallipoli, France & Palestine.

(Have a picture of all 6 brothers)

I have a few other sets of brothers of whom at least one died at Gallipoli

Ernest Alfred Hearle died on April 25th 1915 while serving with the 11th Battalion

Herbert Frederick Hearle died at the 2nd Battle of Bullecourt 06/05/17 while serving with the 3rd Machine Gun Company.

Stan Carter died on the 17/07/15 with the 8th Field Battery 3rd Brigade

Geoffrey Carter died in Fremantle on 29/03/17 from wounds received the previous year at Pozieres.

L/Cpl William Horace Bateman of the 28th Battalion was killed by a shell at Anzac Cove 08/12/15

Lt Herbert Pearson Bateman also of the 28th Battalion was killed at Pozieres 05/08/16

I think that's it but will have a look through my research to see if I have any more.

The following four sets of brothers are commerated on the Kidderminster memorial

CUBITT Eustace Capt 1/5th Bn Norfolk Reg 163rd Brig 54th Div KIA 19/4/17 aged 28 years.

He is buried in Gaza War Cemetery XXIII:C:10

The son of Edward George and Christobel Cubitt of Honing Hall, Worstead, Norwich.

CUBITT Randall Edward Capt 1/5th Bn Norfolk Reg 163rd Brig 54th Div KIA 12/8/15 aged 30 years, the same day as his brother Victor listed below. On 12/8/15 1/5th Norfolks were involved in the attack on Tekke Tepe this is action out of which the vanished battalion myth arose, and much has been much written and speculated upon about what happened to it during the action.

He has no known grave and is commerated on the Helles Memorial to the Missing.

CUBITT Victor Murray Lt 1/5th Bn Norfolk Reg 163rd Brig 54th Div KIA 12/8/15 the same day as his brother Randall listed above.

The husband of Janet Catherine Cubitt of Butlers, Hatfield Peveral, Essex.

HALL Henry William Sgt 1204 Worcs Yeo died 23/8/15 in Mudros from wounds sustained in Gallipoli aged 34 years.

He is buried in East Mudros Military Cemetery II:H:137

He had served with the Worcs Yeo in the South African war and after completing his overseas service maintained contact with the Yeomanry, he re-enlisted and volunteered for foreign service when the war broke out. The eldest son of Mr Harry Hall who had been the landlord of the Cape of Good Hope Inn, New Rd for many years. He had married Alice Britten of Chaddsley in August 1912, her brother Sgt William Britten DOW on 21/8/18. The brother of Sidney listed below. Another brother, Frederick was KIA on 24/10/01 in the South African campaign.

HALL Sidney L/Cpl 9213 3rd Bn Worcs Reg 7th Brig 3rd Div KIA 13/10/14 at Riochebourg St Vaast.

He is buried in Browns Road Military Cemetery IV:F:3.

A German officer forwarded an unfinished letter from Hall to his wife which had been removed from his body, the German officers covering letter explained that Hall had been killed in an attack on German positions on 8/10/14. The son of Mr Harry Hall who had been the landlord of the Cape of Good Hope Inn, New Rd for many years. The brother of Henry listed above, another brother Frederick was KIA on 24/10/01 in the South African campaign.

MILLS George Henry Pte 4095 A Coy 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg 144th Brig 48th Div died 8/4/16 aged 19 years. He had only been at the front for a month.

He is buried in Beauval Communal Cemetery D:29.

The son of James and Harriet Mills of The Old Forge, Wolverley. He was previously employed as a butcher by Mr G. Howell. He had a sister called Eva. The brother of James listed below. His father who had served since 1915 was a Cpl in the Worcs Reg and was WIA on the Somme. His father had worked as a bricklayer on Major Knights Estate.

MILLS James Thomas Pte 15301 4th Bn Worcs Reg 88th Brig 29th Div KIA 4/6/15 Gallipoli aged 19 years.

Pte Frederick Buckley of the 4th Worcs was also KIA on this day.

The son of James and Harriet Mills of the Old Forge Wolverley. He was previously employed as a butcher by Mr G. Howell. He attended Wolverley Sebright School. His father who had served since 1915 was a Cpl in the Worcs Reg and was WIA on the Somme. His father had worked as a bricklayer on Major Knights Estate. The family home was Old Forge, Wolverley. The brother of George listed above.

MOULE Archibald Pte 13767 4th Bn Worcs Reg 88th Brig 29th Div KIA 6/8/15 aged 21 years.

See the entry for Pte Sidney Andrews. L/Cpls George Green and Alfred Hardiman, Ptes Alfred Davis, Bertie Hunt, John Pagett and Thomas Poulton all of the 4th Bn Worcs Reg were also KIA on this day.

He enlisted in August 1914. The son of John Palmer(died 30/10/45 aged 88) and Jane Ann Moule(died 29/10/36 aged 76) of 38 George St. Previously he had worked for Baldwins Stour Vale Ironworks. He enlisted in August 1914. The brother of Arthur and William listed below. He had three other brothers George aged 28 who served in the 2/7th Bn Worcs, Sydney aged 25 years and Horace aged 16 who later served as Airman 267165 RAF. He also had four sisters May aged 33, Beatrice aged 31, Gertrude aged 30 and Elsie aged 18. Their parents are buried in St John the Baptist churchyard and their grave has a dedication to their three sons who died in the Great War.

MOULE Arthur Pte 200524 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg 144th Brig 48th Div DOW 6/4/17 aged 20 years.

He is buried in Etretat Churchyard Cemetery Extension I:D:7.

MOULE William Lawrence MC CSM 20067 1/7th Bn Worcs Reg 144th Brig 48th Div DOW 24/4/17 aged 27 years.

He is buried in St Sever Cemetery Extension. IX:I:2.

His father received his MC at a presentation ceremony at Dudley Road Hospital on 2/9/17. The citation for the award reads as follows

"On the night of 20/21 July 1916 after his company had entered enemy trenches, and driven out, rendered the greatest assistance to his company commander in rallying the men and bringing them back on good order to our own trenches under heavy fire"

Talking of the "Vanished Battalion" what about the following from the Sandringham company

Lt Albert Edward Alexander Beck 1/5th Norfolks

KIA 12th August 1915 also in the attack on Tekke Tepe

Commemorated on the Helles memorial

Husband of Noel Harriette Rosetta Crotch (formerly Beck)

Seething, Brooke Norfolk

and his brother

Capt Arthur Evelyn Beck MC 1/5th Norfolks

KIA 19th April 1917

Buried in Gaza Military Cemetery

Husband of Jennie Beck of "Winfield" Church Street, Hunstanton Norfolk

Both were the sons of Eward William and Emily Mary Beck

Honne Close, Stoke Holy, Goss, Norfolk

Their Uncle Frank was company commander of E company "Sandringham" also killed on the 12th of August and commemorated on the Helles Memorial

Hambo

Hi Bob,

Here are two brothers who you might not be aware of :

1221 L/Cpl. Duncan McLean Kerr, 'F' Coy., 7th. Battn. Scottish Rifles, who died on 23rd July 1915 of wounds received at Gallipoli & is buried at Pieta Military Cemetery, Malta,

and his brother, 4054 Pte. Matthew A.W.Kerr of the 9th Battn. HLI who was killed in action during the Battle of Delville Wood on 15th July 1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

Both were the sons of John & Agnes Kerr, 44 Princes St. (now McCulloch St.), Pollokshields, Glasgow.

I have also copied the following which was originally posted on this Forum by myself on 16th May 2004 -

" On my local War Memorial at Pollokshaws in Glasgow there are two brothers listed, Thomas B. Sloan & James B. Sloan.

Some research on the CWGC & Australian War Memorial websites has revealed the following:

741 Pte. Thomas Bowman SLOAN, 21st Inf. Btn. AIF, &

1783 Pte. James Bowman SLOAN, 21st Inf.Btn. AIF,

both drowned at sea when a lifeboat capsized during the evacuation of the troopship 'Southland' after it was torpedoed in the Aegean Sea on 2nd Sept. 1915.

They were the sons of William & Elizabeth Sloan of Springfield Road, Box Hill, Victoria, Australia (formerly of Pollokshaws, Glasgow).

Thomas Sloan was 23 at the time of his enlistment in January 1915 & James Sloan was 21 when he enlisted in May 1915.

Both are commemorated on the Helles Memorial & Pollokshaws War Memorial , Glasgow."

Best,

Shaw.

I have the details of two brothers who were killed on the same day in Gallipolli.

They are.

Private Frank Connolly,and his brother Thomas Connolly.

Both killed with the 1/6th Lancashire Fusiliers on the 4th June 1915.

Thomas was 26, and Frank was 19, and they both lived in Middleton, Manchester.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Thank you very much for all your suggestions, most, but not all I was unaware of. I think it adds 10 to the present list! Any photos would be very gratefully received as well!

Please keep 'em coming!

Bob

Hi Bob

The Payne brothers (Albert & Nathan) from Luton, in the 1/5th Beds were KIA in the same charge over the same crest, likely by the same artillery shell in the 5th's 1st action 15th August 1915; Kidney Hill / Kiretch tepe Ridge. The mother site has the details, as I sent them to Chris!! Check the 'Brothers died' section mate.

Im rushing at the mo, but can supply additional detail on the action in question if required from Rimmers 'Story of the First - Fifth' (will be the weekend though im afraid) Send me a pm if you would like, to make sure I do it!!! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Steve

One I left off my last list is

No.2233 - Pte Thomas James Kelly KIA 07/08/15 - Lone Pine Memorial 16th Battalion

No.2692 - L/Cpl James Henry Kelly KIA 03/09/16 - Ovillers Military Cemetery 51st Battalion

Continued thanks. The Kellys are new to me, but I have the Rimmer book which is rather moving as his own son died at Gallipoli. Please send more!

Members might be interested that during my reaerch on Brothers' Killed, I have come across a sister & brother (Which, of course, I've included),

Rothery, Staff-Nurse Elizabeth AAMC 15.6.18 – Beechworth Cem and Pte. H N Rothery 24AIF 29.11.15 – Lone Pine Mem 66.

Another set of interest, I think, but how, as a parent, could you cope with such a loss?

Weaver Tpr A C 4th. Imp Camel Cps 31.3.18 – Damascus British War Mem Cem R:E G:32 and Pte. C J 16th. AIF 16.5.17 – Ontario Cem P:4 R:A G:33 and Tpr. F H 9th. ALH 28.8.15 – Hill 60 Cem Sp. Mem 6 and Pte. W A 10th. AIF 23.5.15 – Chatby War Mem Cem R:M G:155.

Bob,

I know you said you had Australia covered - but thought I'd list the following just in case:

CUMMING, Andrew Thomas Gordon - CSM 898, 7th Bn, H Coy, 1st AIF

Died (& buried) at sea on the hospital ship Devanah 12/8/15 from GSW's received at Lone Pine 8/8/15, age 25. Commemorated Lone Pine Memorial.

Born 14/11/1889 at Kerang, Vic - 2nd son of Margaret Jane & Thomas Wylie CUMMING. Andrew who was single, had worked as a Farm Labourer, was a member of the local Brass Band & had spent 3years in the Victorian Rangers before enlisting 19/8/14. [he was prom. CSM 9/5/15 - Nom Roll lists Pte]

CUMMING, William John - Pte 5990, 38th Bn, 1st AIF

KIA 4/10/17 at the Battle of Broodseinde Ridge, Ypres, age 22. Commemorated Menin Gate Memorial.

Born 7/9/1894 at Kerang, Vic - 3rd son of Margaret & Thomas. Bill was also single, a Farm Labourer & a member of the Brass Band before he enlisted 1/3/16. [6mths after Andrew's death]

[have photos of both]

ROCHESTER, Alfred Windsor - Sgt 877, 7th Bn, H Coy, 1st AIF

KIA on about 8/5/15, age 28 in the 2nd Battle of Krithia. Comm. Helles Memorial. [it took almost 2 years before he was taken off the 'missing' list & officially declared dead]

Born in 1886 at Inglewood, Vic - son of Thomas & Mary Jane ROCHESTER. Windsor was engaged to be married, an Engineer & Motor Mechanic, a member of his local Fire Brigade, & served for 5 years in the Victorian Rangers before his enlistment 19/8/14. [family folklore says he sold his M/Garage before enlistment & distributed the proceeds among his 13 siblings]

ROCHESTER, Thomas James - Pte 2561, 57th Bn, 1st AIF

KIA 25/4/1918, age 46. Comm. Villers-Bretonneux Mem. France

Born in 1872 at Timor, Vic - eldest son of Thomas & Mary - married to Alice Georgina, they had 3 sons. He was a Blacksmith & a Justice of the Peace, & had served 8 years in the Victorian Rangers before enlisting 6/4/1916. [had missed out on Boer War selection Dec 1899]

[Their brother Charles enlisted with the NZEF & returned, while another brother Eric, applied (AIF) & was rejected 3 times]

THOMPSON, Cyril Weller - Pte 1183, 5th Bn, 1st AIF

KIA 10/8/1915, age 23. Buried Lone Pine Cemetery.

Born in 1892 at Inglewood - son of Phillip Louis & Frances Annie. He was single, a Bootmaker & a member of the local Fire Brigade when enlisted 16/9/14.

THOMPSON, James Roxburgh - 2nd Lieut, 6th Bn, 1st AIF

Died of wounds 9/8/16 received at Pozieres, age 27. Buried Etaples Military Cemetery, France.

Born in 1889 at Inglewood - son of Phillip & Frances. He was single & the Head Teacher at Wedderburn Junction School when he enlisted 2/2/15.

[2 other brothers, Phillip & John - both enlisted 1915 & both returned]

Cheers, Frev.

Frev,

Very many thanks. I obviously haven't trawled the AWM as well as I thought I had, they're all new to me! Please keep 'em coming if you can & again thanks,

Kind Regards,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Two Holmfirth brothers were killed in 1915, one at Gallipoli and one in France, I have photographs taken from microfilm of the Holmfirth Express if required.

John Moreland, a Private (12/1721), Auckland Battalion, New Zealand Brigade, New Zealand and Australian Division. The son of Mr Thomas and Eleanor Moreland of Holt, Holmfirth. A twenty-seven year old, he was killed in action on Sunday 8th August 1915. While living in Holmfirth he had worked as a dyer at Kirkbridge Dye Works, New Mill, and served as a Lance Corporal in the Holmfirth territorials.

In November 1912 he emigrated to New Zealand and worked on a farm at Willoughby Kaipaki, North Cambridge, until the war began, his brother Ernest left for South Africa in the same year. Enlisting in the infantry on the outbreak of hostilities, he transferred to the artillery after hearing a rumour that they would be the first to go to the Front. After a few months at the artillery base, he decided he was mistaken and transferred back to the infantry.

In August his father received a telegram from the New Zealand Army Records Officer saying:

“Much regret to inform you your son Driver John Moreland is reported missing after action in Gallipoli on the 8th inst.”

Although the telegram describes him as a driver, his family believed this to be a mistake, and that he was in fact, still with the infantry. It was to be October before they received the news that he had been killed on that date, the family were hoping he had been taken as a prisoner of war. The news of his death reached Holmfirth in the same week that his brother Ernest was reported to have died of wounds in France. There is no known grave.

In a letter to his father from Trantham Camp, New Zealand, early in 1915, he wrote:

“I got an Express last week, and I felt quite proud when I read all the names of the fellows who have enlisted under the Old Flag, but you can tell the editor that his list is not quite complete yet. Wouldn’t I just like to be in the old F Company, and if I get the chance to join them I will, too. They are to slow here.

“It is rumoured we shall leave here by the middle of February. We have been in camp six weeks now. Were you surprised to hear that I had enlisted? Our Company had a photograph taken last week, so I am enclosing an enlarged one, but I don’t suppose you will be able to pick me out. I am glad to say I am in the pink of condition.”

In a letter received by his Father in August written in Gallipoli on July 30th he said he was hoping to help; “Give Jacko a surprise that will just about finish him.” He thought that the war there would only last another month or two and hoped to be home for Christmas dinner, after adding; “Should however, I have the misfortune to be knocked out,” he left instructions for the disposal of some of his belongings. He also asked his sister to send him a cake, which she had already baked and made ready for posting when the telegram reporting him missing arrived.

There is no known grave consequently he is commemorated on Panel 11, Chunuk Bair (New Zealand) Memorial, Turkey.

Ernest Moreland of Market Street, Holmfirth, a Gunner (54776), with the 104th Battery, 22nd Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, (7th Division, I Corps, First Army.) died of wounds on Friday 22nd October 1915 at Abbeville, France. Born in Lancaster, the son of Thomas and Eleanor Moreland. When younger he had been a bell ringer at the parish church and worked as a cloth finisher for James Lancaster & Son, Mytholmbridge. Tall and slim, he was twenty-five years old. At eighteen he became a regular soldier, enlisting at Halifax and serving for seven years until his death. In July 1914 he was in Pretoria, South Africa, arriving in France during October 1914. His last home leave had been in August 1912, before leaving for South Africa.

On the 6th of October his family received a telegram reading; “Regret to inform you that Gunner E. Moreland is dangerously wounded, in second stationary hospital, Abberville. Regret that permission to visit him cannot be granted.” He had received gunshot wounds to the head and arm, and although his condition was serious, the staff at Abbeville Hospital thought that he was making satisfactory progress. A nurse wrote to his parents saying:

“Gunner Moreland is not so well. He was brought to this hospital on the 3rd, and the injury to his head necessitated an operation.” The family were informed of a relapse, and then that he had died. Another nurse wrote that; “Your son died last night. He was most anxious all day that I should write to you, and once I found him with pencil and paper in his hand trying to do so. Everything was done for him, and we had hopes for his recovery until three days ago”

In a letter to his father on 12th December 1914, from 7th Division Ammunition Column in France, he refers to the raid by the German Navy on the east coast towns of Scarborough, Whitby and West Hartlepool. He wrote:

“Very many thanks for the cigarettes you so kindly sent me. I was very pleased to hear that you are all in good health at home, and glad to say that I am myself at present. I sincerely hope that you had a better Christmas than I had, but, of course, we had to put up with it. The weather is very wet and cold here at present. No doubt when the summer comes it will be a bit more comfortable, and let us hope that we shan’t be here next Christmas. I heard of the Germans giving you a call by way of the East Coast, so that is another addition to their inhuman actions, which will all by squared off before the end. We are slowly but surely driving them out of France and Belgium, and when we get the New Army out here I dare say things will move a little quicker.”

News of his death reached Holmfirth during the same week that his brother John was confirmed to have been killed in action at Gallipoli. Ernest Moreland was buried in Grave 6 on Row C of Plot 3 at Abbeville Communal Cemetery, Somme, France. Locally he is commemorated on the Holmfirth and New Mill War Memorial: Holmfirth section.

I would be grateful for any further imformation if you have anything I don't.

Tony.

Archer Watson, 10796, 6th Lincs, KIA 9th Aug 1915. Aged 27. Son of Henry and Elizabeth Watson, 1A Malting Yard, Water Street, Stamford. Had served for five years in the Northants prior to the war. After this service he worked as an electrical engineer. Enlisted in the Lincs in August 1914. Went to Gallipoli with the 6th battalion. Reported wounded on 9th Aug 1915, then wounded and missing. Finally officially presumed to have been KIA on 9th Aug 1915.

His younger brother Harry Watson was lost in the sinking of the H.M.S. Irresistible on 15th March 1915.

Interestingly while Archer appears on Stamford's war memorial Harry does not.