Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Guy Archibald Forrest ASC and RFC/RAF

gilesforrest

Hi,

My ancestor Guy Archibald Forrest was in the ASC from 13th November 1915 (2nd Lieutenant) before being transferred to the General List on 21st October 1916 (attached to RFC) until he relinquished commission 8th Jan 1919

I can find him in the Air Force list of April 1918 but I can't find him anywhere on the Army Lists prior to this date.

I'm using the NLA digitised quarterly lists but no luck:

http://digital.nls.uk/british-military-lists/pageturner.cfm?id=97136046

Would someone be able to check for me?

Thanks,

Giles

Hi Giles

MIC on Ancestry, No.853 Canadian Light Inf, Imperial Army, RFC...Guy Archibald Forrest, Lots of info. on MIC

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks I do have all his other records (SAC, PPLCI, ASC, RFC/RAF) and medal cards. I'm just trying to cover all sources.

So I'd expect him to be on the army list but he doesn't seem to be there. Am I missing something or would the Army List not include him for some reason?

Regards,

Giles

Giles: The problem is that you are looking in the wrong Army Lists. Quarterly Army Lists only list regular officers and Forrest was not a regular officer. If you examine the Monthly Army Lists you will find him listed as a Temporary 2nd Lieutenant, ASC effective 13 November 1915 and as a Flying Officer, RFC, Military Wing, Aeroplanes (Observer) effective 21 August 1916.

Regards, Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

Can you clarify the difference between regular and non-regular officers?

Also, does Guy's information change over time in the monthly army lists? (which one did were you able to find him in above?)

Thanks!

Giles

During the Great War an officer could be:

1. A regular officer: an officer who joined the army to as a career. Listed in both the Monthly Army Lists and the Quarterly Army Lists. Rank indicated as Lieutenant, Captain, ASC etc.

2. A temporary regular officer who joined the regular Army for the duration of the war. He is listed in the Monthly Army Lists but not in the Quarterly Army Lists. Rank listed as Temporary Lieutenant, Temporary Captain, ASC, etc.

3. A territorial officer who commission was in the Territorial Force. Listed only in the Monthly Army Lists. Rank listed as Lieutenant, ASC (TF), Captain, ASC (TF), etc.

4. A Special Reserve officer who held a commission in the Special Reserve prior to the war or who gained a supplemental commission in the Special Reserve for service during the duration of the war. Listed only in the Monthly Army Lists.
Rank listed as Lieutenant, RFA, SR, Captain, RFA, SR, etc.

I found him in the June 1916, April 1917 and November 1917 Monthly Army Lists.

• spof changed the title to Guy Archibald Forrest ASC and RFC/RAF