Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Father's album of East African Campaign

Guest bernardleeman

Guest bernardleeman

My father William James Townsley Leeman (born today 1895) fought in WW1 in German East in the 4th KAR from Mwanza down through the central railway and into Mozambique and back up to German East. He kept a photographic record. After the war he settled in Songea and launched the coffee industry at Mbinga. In WW2 he was 6th KAR and military intelligence at Mikindani. He died in 1949, aged 54. In the 1970's I led groups over the WW1 battlefields at Korogwe, Longido Mountain and Salaita. I still have a home in Kilimanjaro Region. I did my PhD on guerrilla warfare in Bremen, where Von Lettow lived and Richard Meinerzhagen worked.

I attach a photo of my father (at left) after being wounded in the leg at Mahiwa in late 1917. Having survived being wounded twice and the usual tropical ailments, it was ironic that it was his brother who died of Spanish Flu in Belfast in 1918 aged 21, just before his final degree exams.

post-127149-0-83044300-1456318937_thumb.

Bravo Bernard

Please show us more.

Harry

Welcome to the forum Bernard

I echo Harry's comments and hope you'll feel able to share more of the album.

Steve

Welcome Bernard.

I would also be interested in seeing more of the album and any stories about the conflict you wish to add.

Scott

Hello Bernard, that picture hints at all he has gone through, would also appreciate seeing more of your father's photo album and learning about his life.

Cheers

Shirley

Trust you can get your other photos onto the forum,Bernard.As my RAMC grandfather was attached to the 4th KAR,I hope they will show what he went through as well.

Regards,

Chris