Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW CD-Rom

Sgt York

I've a man on my hometown memorial (Litherland, Merseyside) by the name of C. Schorah, whom I can't find any reference to on the CWGC database.

Could someone kindly search the SDGW CD-Rom for the above man, or any by the surname of 'Schorah'.

I have, found the following man on the CWGC database, albeit a different spelling. I've come across a few mispelt surnames on our memorial and this may be the case also.

Could someone kindly search the SDGW CD-Rom for the man below for any extra details.

CHARLES EDWARD SCORAH

Private

9th Bn., Norfolk Regiment

who died on

Tuesday 8 October 1918

Thanks in anticipation,

Ronnie.

Ronnie,

SDCD-ROM came up with 5 Scorah names.

Albert from Barnsley - York&Lanc regt

Charles Edward from Worksop Nottingham - 9th Norfork Regt.

John William from Batley- Yorks Regt

Thomas Henry from Barnsley - KOYLI.

William from Burnley - Royal Artillery.

Hope this helps.

Bob.

Could he possibly have served under a different name? "Schorah" looks as if it could have Germanic links and many whose names "looked" German changed it on joining the forces (if it was good enough for the royal family.... :P ).This "new" name is the one he would be listed under on SDGW.

An example I know of is Pte.Harry Loughler, 18th Mancs. His family name is actually "Loeffler". Though this is similar (as is "Battenberg" to "Mountbatten") , many changed it completely (eg. there's no better example than "Saxe-Coburg-Gotha" to "Windsor").

The local memorial is likely to have him recorded under his real name.

I know this could "muddy the waters" somewhat, but it's just a thought.

Dave

Ian, Bob & Dave,

Many thanks for your posts, much appreciated.

I'll check out the names in your list, Bob to see if I can find a connection to my town.

With regard to Germanic names, Dave - there were about 4/5 German families living in the town at the time that suffered at the hands of rioters after the sinking of the Lusitania in 1915. Eight of our townsfolk went down with the Lusitania (all crew members.) Ironically, one of the German families lost two sons serving with The King's (Liverpool) and the South Lancs Rgts, whom enlisted under their German names of Wagner. It's a good line of thought though, with regard to 'name change' and worth pursuing.

I'm still trying to locate any archives pertaining to the 'War Memorial Committee' that was set up. The problem being our town ceased to be part of Lancashire when the new Merseyside Metropolitan County gobbled it up in 1974. Most of our urban district archives/records are now housed with the Lancashire Records Office.

Cheers,

Ronnie.