Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th Battalion HLI - Glasgow Highlanders

Neil Mackenzie

Has anyone transcribed the War Diary on the 9th Bn covering the 18 April 1918 which they are willing to share with me? I am looking for the circumstances concerning the wounding of 2/Lt Archibald Mitchell Woodside which apparently occurred whilst he was out on patrol on this date. I would also like to know where the unit were based at the time.

Many thanks

Neil

Morning Neil,

It is available to download from the web in its entirety, along with the Regimental History,

http://rhf.org.uk/rhf/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=98&Itemid=113

[15 April 1918: front line near Neuve-Eglise]

HILLE: Quiet day. Battalion HQs moved to farm across the road. Major Lamberton MC moved forward in command of two Coys (150 KRRC and 150 9th HLI) and lined the Railway at KEERSEBROM.

10.10pm: Major Lamberton reported 4th and 5th Lincs and 4th Leicesters ordered to withdraw. In consequence of orders from Brigade he withdrew his composite Battalion and [illegible].

[16 April 1918: front line near Neuve-Eglise]

4am: Occupied a position to the left of our posts.

During the day, attacks were made on our front but repulsed with losses to the enemy. Bn HQ heavily shelled throughout the day.

[17 April 1918: transit - about 6 miles north-west - from front line near Neuve-Eglise to Camp at Westoutre (about 4 miles southeast of Poperinge)]

5am: Enemy occupied Wood at S 5c.

Our artillery put down practice barrage at 6am, 6.45am, 7.45am.

8am: Two prisoners (one wounded) brought into Bn HQs.

3pm: 100 men of the RSF sent as reinforcements endeavoured to retake the Wood but without success.

6pm: Our Artillery put down Barrage on the Wood and at 6.30pm 2 Coys of the 5th Yorks & Lancs (specially sent up) moved forward to retake the Wood but were repulsed. During the day Bn HQs was heavily shelled causing considerable casualties. The wounded prisoner was killed during this shelling.

The following were the casualties among the officers :

Major JS Chalmers : killed

Lt AR Lamberton : wounded

8.30pm: The 4th Yorks & Lancs and 4th KOYLIs relieved the Battalion which moved across country to Billets at ARAGON CAMP near WESTOUTRE.

[18 April 1918: transit - about 3 miles southwest - from Camp at Westoutre to billets at Mont des Cats (on western outskirts of Godewaersvelde - about 6 miles southwest of Poperinge)]

1.30am: Relief complete.

2.15pm: Battalion paraded and marched to MONT DES CATS where it was billeted in the MONASTERY.

[19 April 1918: billets at Mont des Cats]

Day spent in reorganising Battalion and cleaning up.

Regards,

Graeme

• 3 years later...

Hi Raymond

Thanks for this - may I ask where it was sourced from?

I did not get any PM but will check my inbox in case it is full.

Thanks again.

Neil

Hi Neil

I deal with the Glasgow Highlanders Association in Glasgow and one of my members is an American Keith Landies who is related to the Woodside Family and he originally sent me information on the Woodside family for us to use in one of our Newsletters - Can I ask your interest in AM Woodside? and did you ever get the Diary for the Glasgow Highlanders if not let me know

Raymond Bell

Hi Raymond

I did the research for Keith!!! :)

I don't think I ever did get the whole War Diary but I do have a transcript of their history 'Shoulder to Shoulder'.

Neil

• 5 weeks later...

Many thanks Raymond, much appreciated.

Neil