Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North East India and the First World War

bushfighter

An excellent short description of the Labour units raised in North East India during the Great War is here: http://hiddenhistorieswwi.ac.uk/

If only more academics could get their acts together as Pratap Chhetri has then we would have similar concise and easily readable articles. Shabash Pratap.

Harry

If only more academics could get their acts together as Pratap Chhetri has then we would have similar concise and easily readable articles. Shabash Pratap.

Get their acts together? Most academics write blog posts like this one. The majority also give public talks in return for only travel expenses.

Both of these activities have little or no benefit to the academics themselves.

You could blame the system but it is harsh to blame the academics themselves.

Adam

Thank you.

Sadly I have bought far too many books written by academics that don't match up to the advertising blurb.

Sometimes they have been deliberately mis-titled by the publisher's publicity team - and the writer lets it happen.

Sometimes they are published at ridiculous prices eg: over 100 pounds for a book on WW2 Burma - and the writer lets it happen.

Too often they turn out to be unreadable for the layman because they are in fact a thesis paper (often with hundreds of time-wasting footnotes just to point out to the examiners that the writers have skimmed through loads of reference books in their 'research').

I think that the true answer is non-profit publishing on the internet, which I, in my imperfect way, attempt.

Good Luck with your studies Harry

Dear Harry,

Your publishing efforts - especially concerning obscure military Side-Shows - are admirably done.

On at least two occasions (concerning such disparate subjects as 31st Mule Corps at Salonika, 1917, or 1024 Burma MT Coy operating in Kurdistan, 1919), have been of great help for my own researches. Super!

Kindest regards,

Kim.