Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Widows

Sparky53

If a soldier was killed in action and left a widow might there be some documentation re her Pension ?

If so where might it be found?

Jane

On the trail of "Steelback" Thomas Ridge 2 Northants KIA

Jane

I have a copy of the booklet issued to Widows in 1918 re Pension entitlements eg widow of a Private 13/9 (69p) per week plus a one off grant of £5 on his death.

EMail me off forum if you want any more info and I will try to scan the booklet.

Charlie

I have found widow's pension details in surviving WW1 service records. Some pensions from memory (if not all) were for a limited period. Also mothers were requesting pensions for sons that had previously provided for them.

If a soldier was significantly disabled and hospitalised from injury or illness during ww1 did the pay automaticaly get sent on to his wife and children?

If the said soldier subsequently died for examle in 1920 would the widows pension records record details of the husbands injuries/Illness?

If a widow remarried did the pension with respect to her and her children cease with immediate effect or did the Govt continue pay out in respect of the children?

A few questions to add to the thread

Thanks

Dave Roberts

I was really hoping someone might know if there are records kept at the National Archive etc so may be you can find out more about a specific soldier who left a widow.

Went totally mad at 1837.com - today as frustrated not to find my man's wife's maiden name.

I had been thrown off the scent by her mother who had the same christian name being widowed and remarrying.

Sorted now

Jane

Researching Private Thomas Ridge 2 Northants Regt KIA and his widow Zillah Ridge nee Blundred

This is an interesting topic.I recently read that war pensions to widows of the missing

in action were not paid to the widows until 1921. My grandmother remarried in 1920.

My query is would she have received a pension.

RobB

Jane - my only knowledge of pensions has been as a result of going thorugh those WW1 army service records that survived the Blitz.

Rob - My findings suggest she would not have received a pension as we know it although she may have received a one-off payment combined with his war gratuity payment.