Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps- Major Laurence Pierce Brooke Merriam

Guest undertheeaststand

Guest undertheeaststand

Hi there, this site was recommended to me by Stephen Cooper (author of 'After the Final Whistle'), I wondered if any of you might be able to help?

I'm trying to find details of the First World War experiences of Major Laurence Merriam, a career soldier who spent time with the 7th Rifle Brigade before moving into the Machine Gun Corps (c.1917) and then the Tank Corps (c.1918). An obituary stated that he served with the '7th Tank Corps', could this have been G Battalion who became the 7th Battalion? It would be great to know which engagements he was involved in?

This is a research project for the RFU. Merriam went on to earn two caps as an England international rugby player in 1920.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!

Phil

Phil,

Cannot help with the Tankers side of things, but I am sure that a tank enthusiast will be along shortly they are a helpful bunch. Regarding his time with the 7th Rifle Brigade, he was wounded on 22/7/15 after having taken over the trenches by the Hooge Crater, being in "C" Company (C & D company in the front line) by a trench mortar. They had just taken over from the 1st Gordon Highlanders that day, the area being a new one to them at that time. He was a Lieutenant with the 7th RB.

Andy

MERRIAM, Sir Laurence (Pierce Brooke).

Knighted 1949, M.C. 1916; D.L., J.P., born 28 Jan. 1894; son of Charles Pierce Merriam, Bluebridge House, Halstead, Essex. Married 1921 Lady Marjory Kennedy, daughter of 3rd Marquis of Ailsa; two sons. Educated St. Pauls School; University College, Oxford. Represented Oxford University at Rugby Football, Swimming and Water Polo. Represented England at Rugby Football v. Wales and France 1920; Captain Blackheath Football Club 1922. Commissioned in the Rifle Brigade and served throughput the European War 1914 - 18 (wounded twice, M.C.) attached Tank Corps Temp. Capt., Acting Major 1918 - 19.

British Xylonite Co. 1919 Chairman 1957-63. Chairman BX Plastics Ltd., 1957 - 63; Director Ilford Ltd 1950 - 63; Municipal Mutual Assurance Ltd; Distillers Co. 1961-63. Furniture Development Council, 1957-63; Furniture Industry Research Assoc.; Vice-President Assoc. of Chemical & Allied Employees, 1959-63. Member of North Eastern Metropolitan Hospital Board, 1961-64; Chairman Royal Eastern Counties Hospital Management Committee. Seconded to Ministry of Supply 1940-45, lent to Board of Trade, 1948-50; Examiner of Controls. J.P. Essex; Essex County Council 1955-65 (Chairmen Finance Committee), D.L. Essex 1962.

Address Loom House, Dedham, nr. Colchester, Essex.

Died 27th July 1966.

Merriam commanded A Coy 7th Bn from 30 Aug 18.

After the war he acted as Honorary Secretary for a reunion dinner held at the CO's suggestion on Saturday 8 November 1919.

Hi Phil,

His MC

post-113776-0-81038900-1455039737_thumb.

Regards

Chris

EDIT:

Link to war diary

MONTAUBAN 19/9/16 "The company took part in the attack on FLERS..."

20/9/16 "Attack continued. Lieut L.P.B. MERRIAM wounded 4 O.R. wounded"

Guest undertheeaststand

Thanks Andy, Gareth, Chris for your responses, you've given me a lot to go on already, very much appreciated.

Gareth- do you know if Merriam joined the Tanks Corps (from Machine Gun Corps) on 30/08/1918 or was this a promotion?

Phil

Phil.

There is also an obituary for him in the 1966 Royal Green Jacket Chronicle stating "He was always a keen member of The Rifle Brigade Club and frequently attended the Regimental Dinner"

Andy

Thanks Andy, Gareth, Chris for your responses, you've given me a lot to go on already, very much appreciated.

Gareth- do you know if Merriam joined the Tanks Corps (from Machine Gun Corps) on 30/08/1918 or was this a promotion?

Phil

Sorry Phil, I don't know that detail.

Phil

I think if you look at the Gazette entries in post #7 you will find that the last five are under the Tank Corps sub-title, therefore I would think that the 30/08/1918 move was a promotion, possibly from commanding a Section of tanks (normal rank for this position, Captain) to commanding a Company (rank for this position, Major).

He is mentioned in https://sites.google.com/site/landships/home/narratives/1918/100days/canal-du-nord---27-september-to-1-october-3rd-army/7-battalion-27-september-1918 . I have not yet managed to find any other reference to him on this site.

David

• 3 years later...

Well Phil no longer seems to post, quick hit & run seeking information, seems to be the way these days.

However if Gareth or one of the other tank enthusiasts would like his papers let me know.

Andy

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

Dear Andy,

I found the scanned documents of high interest - despite the fact that I 'only' collect to the IARO...!

Many thanks for these, which I, for one, greatly appreciate.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for this update. I included this research in a book for which I’ll send you the link in case you/others are interested.

Merrriam’s progression from rifles to machine guns to tanks was in some ways emblematic of how the war was won.

The RFU paid tribute to all fallen international rugby players over the period of commemoration and unveiled the Rose and Poppy Gate in tribute.

All the best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the message and update. Interesting file, my interest is the RB side of things, wounded at Flers/Coucelette also with the 41st Bde MGC, before moving to the tanks. 

Andy

On 1 August 2019 at 10:44, stiletto_33853 said:

Well Phil no longer seems to post, quick hit & run seeking information, seems to be the way these days.

However if Gareth or one of the other tank enthusiasts would like his papers let me know.

Andy

DSC00075.jpg

DSC00076.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

Yes please. 

All sent Gareth, go by image number to get the order of the file. Hope it helps.

Andy

I'll pass this on to his great nephew who lives nearby. Nephew Major Hugh Merriam also received an M.C. in WW2 for D.Day action with Suffolks

George

I can add that Merriam went up to University College, Oxford in 1912; that he served in the OU OTC; that he won his rugger Blue in the 1913 Varsity Match; and that he enlisted on 01 Sep 1914.

The 1913 Varsity match was held on 09 Dec at Queen's Club with CURFC winning 13-3.  Merriam appears to have played as flanker and was one of five players from University College in the team.  He is not mentioned specifically in the match preview and report in The Times, which if you are interested were on 09 Dec p.15 and 10 Dec pp.8 & 14.

Of the Oxford XV, two of Merriam's fellow Blues were to fall in the Great War: 

David McLaren BAIN (Edinburgh Academy / Trinity College, Oxford) - KiA, 03 Jun 1915 - Capt, 3rd att. 2nd Gordon Highlanders

Francis Wishart THOMSON (Edinburgh Academy / University College, Oxford) - KiA, 28 Jun 1915, Gallipoli - Lt 1st Royal Scots

His England caps were against Wales away on 17 Jan 1920 (lost 5-19); and France at home on 31 Jan 1920 (won 8-3) where he was injured and did not play the second half.

Looks like he was playing as flanker for the Wales match and was moved to lock vs. France.

The Wales vs. England match was the first International fixture since the start of the War.

Reports and previews are in The Times as follows ...

v Wales - 17 Jan p.5, 19 Jan pp.5 & 12

v France - 30 Jan p.6, 02 Feb p.5

Mark

Fascinating - but I'm a bit confused which MGC (inf) Coy Merriam was with at Flers.

The newspaper account in Post 5 mentions 41st Coy MGC which was in 41st Bde - mentioned in his casualty form. Also mentions 3rd Echelon which was in 14 Div.

My grandfather also won a MC at Flers but he was in 123 Coy MGC, 123 Bde, 41 Div.  His LG citation was the same issue as Merriam's on 14.11.1916.

His  MC award was in repulsing a German counter attack but I'm not sure exactly where. Merriam and 14 Div must have been east of 41 Div.

Edited by JulianB

On 02/08/2019 at 19:15, George Rayner said:

I'll pass this on to his great nephew who lives nearby. Nephew Major Hugh Merriam also received an M.C. in WW2 for D.Day action with Suffolks

George

There are quite a number of photo's and articles of Merriam and family on the British Newspaper Archive if the family haven't been on there already.

Thank you. His grandson lives locally to me as well so will check.

George

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

Thank you. His grandson lives locally to me as well so will check.

George

There are some gold dust one's of his wife and child, and the couple at Ayr Races....one that's particularly interesting is taken with Cyril Lowe...Cyril was the England leading try scorer until Rory Underwood broke his record in 1989.

Cyril himself has an interesting story in the RFC/RAF.

6 hours ago, JulianB said:

Fascinating - but I'm a bit confused which MGC (inf) Coy Merriam was with at Flers.

The newspaper account in Post 5 mentions 41st Coy MGC which was in 41st Bde - mentioned in his casualty form. Also mentions 3rd Echelon which was in 14 Div.

My grandfather also won a MC at Flers but he was in 123 Coy MGC, 123 Bde, 41 Div.  His LG citation was the same issue as Merriam's on 14.11.1916.

His  MC award was in repulsing a German counter attack but I'm not sure exactly where. Merriam and 14 Div must have been east of 41 Div.

41 Bde also included 7/RB, his original unit.  He was posted to 41 MG Coy on 01 Feb 1916, which seems to be his return to theatre after his wounding at Hooge - perhaps Andy can confirm?

He was then appointed 2/ic of 41 MG Coy on 26 Feb 1916.

If I remember correctly, the MG companies in 14th (Light) Division were formalised on the brigade basis in mid February 1916.  Again Andy can confirm.

The 15 Sep 1916 attack on FLERS by XV Corps was executed left to right (W-E) by the New Zealand, 41st and 14th (Light) divisions, so your grandfather's division were immediately to the west of 14th (Light) Divn.

Andy's posted a map of the 14th (Light) Division objectives here and I post it again for convenience:

spacer.png

There's a similar Objectives/Dispositions map in the 41st Division diary.  I'm sure I've posted it in the past, but cannot locate it now!  As this is not a 41st Div topic, I'll send it to you via PM.

This unannotated map shows the 41st Division sector well though:

spacer.png

Mark

5 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

There are some gold dust one's of his wife and child, and the couple at Ayr Races....one that's particularly interesting is taken with Cyril Lowe...Cyril was the England leading try scorer until Rory Underwood broke his record in 1989.

His wife, Lady Marjory Kennedy, was the daughter of Archibald Kennedy, the 3rd Marquess of Ailsa, whose family seat was Culzean Castle just outside Ayr.

The obit from the 1966 RGJ Chronicle that Andy posted higher up is verbatim that as printed in The Times on 28 Jul 1966, p.14, the day after Merriam's death.

Mark

Edited by MBrockway