Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William A Stirton, which Lovat's Scouts and why?

rolt968

William Airth Stirton S/41551 was killed serving with 5 Cameron Highlanders on 31 August 1918, aged 18 years and 11 months. His gratuity indicates service of less than a year.

The medal roll and index card, CWGC and register of soldiers' effects only indicate service in the Cameron Highlanders, which was presumably the only battalion with which he served abroad. He made a will (in 5 Camerons) in a paybook issued on 15 June 1918.

Soldiers Died in the Great War and the Scottish National War Memorial say that he had also served in the Gordon Highlanders (S/19536) and Lovat Scouts (D/26656), presumably in the UK

I can understand that he might have served in the Gordon Highlanders (I think the Young Soldier and Graduated Battalions would have been in existence in late 1917), but why the Lovat Scouts and which unit?

(By the time he enlisted (was enlisted), the only home based Lovat Scouts was the combined 2/1 and 2/2 based in Beccles as part of 1 Cyclist Brigade (James).)

Is there any significance in the D/ serial number?

Roger M

Thanks Craig.

53 was the Young Soldier Battalion. Presumably he would have retained the serial number if he had moved on to one of the Gordon Highlanders Graduated Battalions.

I wonder why they sent him to 2/2 Lovat Scouts when there was such a need for infantrymen in the spring of 1918. Mind you, we don't know how quickly he was drafted out again.

(I have a service record for a young Cameron Highlander who had a bewildering number of changes of unit. In one case if he actually got to the unit concerned he must have left the following day.)

Roger M.

Thanks Craig.

53 was the Young Soldier Battalion. Presumably he would have retained the serial number if he had moved on to one of the Gordon Highlanders Graduated Battalions.

I wonder why they sent him to 2/2 Lovat Scouts when there was such a need for infantrymen in the spring of 1918. Mind you, we don't know how quickly he was drafted out again.

(I have a service record for a young Cameron Highlander who had a bewildering number of changes of unit. In one case if he actually got to the unit concerned he must have left the following day.)

Roger M.

S/41578 was allocated 16 June 18 to a Sgt from 2/1st Lovats - it looks to me like they were using the Lovats as a source for drafts to France.

Craig

S/41578 was allocated 16 June 18 to a Sgt from 2/1st Lovats - it looks to me like they were using the Lovats as a source for drafts to France.

Craig

That's interesting. William Stirton made his will on 19 June 1918. Unfortunately he doesn't say where.

That's interesting. William Stirton made his will on 19 June 1918. Unfortunately he doesn't say where.

Sounds like he may have been prompted to make it on the way to the front or just after he arrived.

Craig

Sounds like he may have been prompted to make it on the way to the front or just after he arrived.

Craig

I was thinking that. It fits in the Lovat Scouts being used a source for drafts for France.

Roger M.